Don't care
1%

Total votes: 133

dynamikspeed
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Do you use LibreOffice?

Post by dynamikspeed »

Impressed by the level of customisation. I enabled the Muffin Interface and it looks great. :)
Selection_306.png
When I get formatting issues with some Word documents i usually edit them with Word online or Google Docs then download or save them from there. This saves me having to start Windows in VirtualBox.
https://office.live.com/start/Word.aspx?omkt=en-GB
https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/
Last edited by dynamikspeed on Fri May 12, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Asus UX305FA Laptop, Mint 18.2 x64 Cinnamon. Solo Boot in 10s

Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Yes, almost every day.

laztaf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by laztaf »

Yes, I use it fairly regularly. Mostly it's Writer and Calc I need.

Vanilla Lumina
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vanilla Lumina »

I don't really use office tools since I mostly use my computer for online communication. However I've used OpenOffice.org before and LibreOffice is installed on my system so I might give it a try if I need to.

Oranges
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Oranges »

I voted yes, although I only use Writer, which is in my top two most used applications.
HP Pavilion Laptop, dual boot configuration.
Windows 8.1
Mint 18.1 Cinnamon

ilikereading
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ilikereading »

Very rarely. I will have to learn it first, after a bunch of years with microsoft office. :D

lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

I've used it (and Open Office) on and off for years, but starting to use it more. It definitely seems improved, and by that I mean stable and nice features that are easy to use and figure out. They have nice doc and active development. It is difficult though when certain professional expectations are MS oriented. A lot of folks like the MS ribbon and there is discussions that LO is working on something new, but I could live without it. I think the learning curve is almost nil if you have used any office product.

To follow what's happening with LO: LibreOffice Design Team. Lot's of good info and you can participate in surveys.

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 »

Yes I do but I only use the writer as I did in windows...who in their right mind would pay heaps of Dollars to that greedy Microsoft for software that works just as good for free :D

I even have LibreOffice installed on my Win 7 Virtual Machine...suck that Microsoft. :lol:
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

BG405
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BG405 »

The other day I needed to transfer a few documents (created on a Windows machine) back to their owner - I'd backed them up and turned the USB stick in to a Linux installation medium for him, and had a look at one of them to see if they would open with LO - which it did, with formatting seemingly correct. Certainly helps with Linux promotion when this sort of thing can be demonstrated.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

rgand
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rgand »

I tried Open Office a number of years ago but it was... awkward at best, not up to the level of MS Office so I abandoned it. Since I've been full-time with Mint and keeping a dual boot for Win7 on one computer in case I need it, I've found the new LibreOffice to be more than adequate. I've now converted the most needed of my MS files to .odt and .odg formats. It was a darn good move, I must say.

My version (5.0.3.2) is what came with Mint. I never particularly liked the MS Ribbon format so that really doesn't being anything to the table I'd use. That said, is there any other noticeable advantage to getting the 5.3 version from their website? Are there any drawbacks to upgrading to 5.3?
Smile, it makes people wonder what you've been up to.

kdemeoz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kdemeoz »

rgand wrote:My version (5.0.3.2) is what came with Mint. I never particularly liked the MS Ribbon format so that really doesn't being anything to the table I'd use. That said, is there any other noticeable advantage to getting the 5.3 version from their website? Are there any drawbacks to upgrading to 5.3?
Well, i wrote my perspective on 5.3.3.2 earlier in this thread viewtopic.php?f=60&t=237264&start=60#p1311002 but to add one or two more comments fyi now...

If you've not already seen them, you can glean more info about the 5.3 improvements here:
1. https://itsfoss.com/libreoffice-5-3-released/
2. https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.3

I have two decades of MS Office behind me, beginning with Office 97. Until i migrated from Win7 to Linux in 2013/14 i was an intensive MS Office 2010 Pro user. I seem to be an oddity in the Linux world in that i really liked Office 2010, including very much the ribbon, & i struggled mightily in Linux to find an acceptable replacement. My early encounters with LO were very unsatisfactory [not sure, but i suspect it was still v4.x back then], wrt UI, file compatibility with my large number of .docx, .xlsx, .pptx legacy files, & IMO back then quite poor font & logistics handling.

However having recently discovered & extensively tested 5.3.3.2 [although it might possibly have been a lower 5.3.x when i first got it; can't recall now if there's been more than one update, but there has been at least one], it totally won me over & made me eat almost all of my earlier bad opinions of LO. It's been my default Linux office suite now since, & i am enjoying it a lot [well, can anyone actually "enjoy" an office suite?].

I do recommend installing the PPA to get 5.3.x. I mean, if unexpectedly you find you abhor it, obviously you can just backtrack again to your current version... but IMO the benefits are well worth it. I did enable the "experimental" features to avail myself of the new toolbar UI, & though initially my preference was for the ribbonesque MUFFIN, because it's currently still too raw [not good enough for me yet] i have instead adopted the also-new "Contextual groups" toolbar UI. It also needs more work, but for now is adequate for me [when combined with my heavily-customised right-click context menus in the document-areas]. Certainly i like both it & MUFFIN faaaaaaaaaar better than the LO "traditional" toolbar, which basically sucks if you use LO in less than full-screen maximised mode [given i do not use ANY pgm in full-screen, this is important for me]. EDIT -- Ha, yet another nice surprise for me. I felt it best to test the validity of my preceding negative remark about the Standard [traditional] toolbar prior to posting, & have now happily discovered this is another area in which LO is much better than my original exposure to it years ago. It's actually pretty cool now.

If there's any specific negative of this 5.3.x release, it's wrt stability. I've had many unexpected crashes, which is obviously annoying. One possible cause might be my decision to [as said above] enable the "experimental features".
20170531_004.png
Another [which i actually suspect might be the much higher probability cause] is the memory allocation -- a concept entirely alien to me given my MS Office not LO background. The majority of the crashes occurred when i was attempting to paste a series of PNG pics into a Writer doc. After bumping up the memory allocation a lot, the crashes seemed to stop... albeit LO still gives me occasional random crashes without me identifying any pattern.
20170531_005.png
Overall though i really do think 5.3.3.2 is good.
Manjaro KDE 5.15.x [Mint 17.x KDE4 2014-2016]

rgand
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rgand »

Thanks for the information and links, kdemeoz. I had not seen the improvements so your links helped a lot, there. I guess I'll have to give it a try. I have a handful of RAM so that will help if I decide to try the experimental features.
Smile, it makes people wonder what you've been up to.

BG405
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BG405 »

kdemeoz wrote:After bumping up the memory allocation a lot, the crashes seemed to stop
How much RAM do you have? It would be great if it'll run on a system with 3 (or 2) GB plus sufficient swap space. Although I have no interest in the "ribbon style" UI it would be good to see what else it has to offer.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

kdemeoz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kdemeoz »

BG405 wrote: How much RAM do you have? It would be great if it'll run on a system with 3 (or 2) GB plus sufficient swap space. Although I have no interest in the "ribbon style" UI it would be good to see what else it has to offer.
Ah, well tbh i'm a bit spoiled for memory... 32 GB physical RAM, + i installed zram too, + 40GB Swap partition [yeah, i know that's stupid, but it's a legacy arrangement from earlier years when i thought i was going to use Hibernation... which in fact i don't use (only Suspend), but never got around to shrinking or removing this partition].

However, why not give it a go all the same. Even if you don't have enough memory, &/or hate 5.3.x, you can easily revert to your current version.
Manjaro KDE 5.15.x [Mint 17.x KDE4 2014-2016]

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”