My Latest Rescue

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Greenbike
Level 1
Level 1

My Latest Rescue

Post by Greenbike »

One of the things I like most about LM is its ability to bring new life to old hardware.

Last week I bought a used computer at a fleamarket. An old Toshiba Satellite laptop built for Win Vista, but running Win7. Or it would have been running 7 if the guy selling it knew the password, which he didn't. No matter, I wiped the Windows and installed LM Xfce. It's not perfect. The battery is shot so it's not a laptop as much as it is a really portable desktop. And the DVD player works, but the door can only be opened with a paperclip. But other than that it works fine. It has a big 17" monitor, and is as fast on the internet as my new(ish) Win10 machine.

Total price, $25 :D
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: My Latest Rescue

Post by jimallyn »

We don't have a fleamarket here. Wish we did. I do install Linux on old computers that people give to me, and give them to people who don't have a computer already. But I sometimes wish I had a source for more of them! I'm thinking about putting an ad on Craigslist: old computer donations wanted.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Greenbike
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Greenbike »

It's ridiculous that so much good hardware is rotting in landfills when it still has years of good service left.
NoWinBob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NoWinBob »

Try your local recycle places.In my city, there is a volunteer organisation that takes donations and fixes them up and gives them to schools.I notice they also are selling some for a small cash donation.Since they are only open short hours, I will have to skip out of work for a while to check them out.There are also a couple of ads in the local Used Your City web site asking for donations to do the same.If you have a local option like that,it sounds like a good idea.
Divine_Serpent
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Divine_Serpent »

I love taking "junk" home, installing some kind of Linux on it, and breathing new life into stuff. I didn't go with Linux until about a month ago, but I have had several ole' junkers I played with while exploring Linux. My next junker project will be making a lightweight local webserver. I've always wanted to get into web development.
"Windows 10 is the most secure, and uses state of the art technology to keep corrupt governments and corporations out of your privacy." -Nobody ever.
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Paid $5.00 for this one without a hard drive but I had a dead laptop so that hard drive went right in this desktop.
Why buy new when prizes as this can be found for a few dollars and a few hours of time invested. :D

Code: Select all

Dell-Optiplex-360 ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: Dell-Optiplex-360 Kernel: 4.4.0-59-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Machine:   System: Dell product: OptiPlex 360
           Mobo: Dell model: 0T656F v: A02 Bios: Dell v: A06 date: 08/04/2011
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E7500 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 11703
           clock speeds: max: 2933 MHz 1: 2400 MHz 2: 1867 MHz
Memory:   4.0 GB DDR2 / 800 MHz fsb
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller 
Resolution: 1280x720@60.00hz
Audio:     Card Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller 
Network:   Card: Broadcom NetLink BCM5784M Gigabit Ethernet 100 Mbps
Drives:    HDD  model: Hitachi_HTS54321 size: 160.0GB 
Divine_Serpent
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Divine_Serpent »

The Old Timer wrote:Paid $5.00 for this one without a hard drive but I had a dead laptop so that hard drive went right in this desktop.
Why buy new when prizes as this can be found for a few dollars and a few hours of time invested. :D

Code: Select all

Dell-Optiplex-360 ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: Dell-Optiplex-360 Kernel: 4.4.0-59-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Machine:   System: Dell product: OptiPlex 360
           Mobo: Dell model: 0T656F v: A02 Bios: Dell v: A06 date: 08/04/2011
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E7500 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 11703
           clock speeds: max: 2933 MHz 1: 2400 MHz 2: 1867 MHz
Memory:   4.0 GB DDR2 / 800 MHz fsb
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller 
Resolution: 1280x720@60.00hz
Audio:     Card Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller 
Network:   Card: Broadcom NetLink BCM5784M Gigabit Ethernet 100 Mbps
Drives:    HDD  model: Hitachi_HTS54321 size: 160.0GB 
For $5 that's a great steal. It's amazing the stuff you can find that people thought was irreparable or trash. Just wondering, what command did you use to display that information (I'm still rather new here)?
"Windows 10 is the most secure, and uses state of the art technology to keep corrupt governments and corporations out of your privacy." -Nobody ever.
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Divine_Serpent wrote: Just wondering, what command did you use to display that information (I'm still rather new here)?
Go into the terminal and type in inxi -Fxz press enter then copy and paste to your message then use the code button to fit it into the box.

Highly recommend these.

https://linuxjourney.com/

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/
Divine_Serpent
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Divine_Serpent »

The Old Timer wrote:
Divine_Serpent wrote: Just wondering, what command did you use to display that information (I'm still rather new here)?
Go into the terminal and type in inxi -Fxz press enter then copy and paste to your message then use the code button to fit it into the box.

Highly recommend these.

https://linuxjourney.com/

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/
Thank you :)
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Pretty cool fellow nixer, :)

Yet one more area poor window$ users get messed over me thinks. Constantly upgrading to new shiny stuff they barely use in order to keep up with m$'s ever growing bloatware and of course the endless flood of updates sent down the pipe.

More than a few of them think are intentionally designed to make those users systems run worse n worse.

Time to buy a new comp honey, xyz-window$ is running horribly again. So good deal saving perfectly good hardware from the landfill.

Introducing window$ 12, all ya need is 32gbs-ram, an octa-core processor and a 3tb hdd and you'll be able to web surf, watch YouTube videos and Facebook to your hearts content. ;)
TooMuchTime
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TooMuchTime »

Introducing window$ 12, all ya need is 32gbs-ram, an octa-core processor and a 3tb hdd and you'll be able to web surf, watch YouTube videos and Facebook to your hearts content.
For a year. Or less.
Just wondering, what command did you use to display that information (I'm still rather new here)?
Divine_Serpent, take a look at the following thread.

viewtopic.php?f=213&t=229348

Also, look into customizing your .bashrc file with aliases. Very handy for your most used commands.
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

^LMBO :)

Good thing about it, there'll likely be a more tech-savvy nixer hanging around to give that poor neglected system a new home, at the right price. Just like the OP did.

Have to consider it one more way gnu/linux and users are making the world a bit better place. :)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”