What are the software do you add after install?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

What are the software do you add after install?

Post by thom_A »

Let us start a thread about what additional apps users install in their Mint distros.
You can include drivers if you want.

My PC main specs:
2 x Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160, 3GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS/PCIe/SSE2
Mint 18.1 64bit

(This is the oldest PC in this household with BIOS. The only item added was a low-end nvidia card bought 2 yrs ago, probably about $50. Frankly, the built-in gfx card was just as good and the nvidia didn't make much difference.)

Here's what I always do in sequence after installing (via USB) and rebooting a Mint installation:

--Run the driver manager, then reboot.
--Apply the updates in the Update manager.
--Run Software manager and install:

TTF-Mscorefonts
SMPlayer (I rarely use the main smplayer. The mvp media player it additionally installs is faster and can be scrubbed smoothly.)
Calibre (I don't use the main app, I just need the E-viewer for epubs, mobi extension files.)
Inkscape
Kmahjongg

If I need them I also add Handbrake and Mkvtoolnix-gui.

Some portable software I have taken from their websites and stored. These apps don't have dependencies. All you do is make them executable. At times you don't have to.
Krita
Blender
Avidemux

Debs that can be installed by clicking the file:
PureRef
Grub Customizer

All these apps serve as my measuring sticks. All of them are running normally in 18.1. Frankly, I rarely use all of them. Most of them are just sitting idly by. They're there just in case. I spend some time painting with Krita, but I mostly visit a sport forum and a graphics forum, being an artist wannabe. Firefox is my main workhorse.

I'll probably have started a thread long time ago complaining how Mint sucks, etc., etc., if one or two of these apps are running erratically. So I'm curious what specific apps do users experience having problems with. I mean isn't this why we need an OS, to run software we need and use?
Last edited by thom_A on Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Re: What are the software do you add after install?

Post by majpooper »

My daily driver:
Host: 1150z Kernel: 4.4.0-59-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.0.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.1)
Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
CPU: Octa core AMD FX-8150 Eight-Core
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Turks PRO [Radeon HD 6570/7570/8550]
Memory: 1966.9/16015.7MB

Thom, I start out the same way you do:
--Run the driver manager, then reboot.
--Apply the updates in the Update manager
--I go through Settings and pretty much turn off all the bells and whistles and eye candy
--Next I apply Pjotr's tweaks from his web site to include his security tips
--Apply a few tweaks of my own - a few of which have been poo pooed here on this forum
****Two keyboard short cuts to execute the xKill command and to clear the clipboard
****A cron to a simple mintcleaner script - doesn't do much just me being lazy
****A cron that clears out my Download dir at 0200 - again just being lazy
****Delete the suspend button
****install dnscrypt
****install and configure firejail
****install VeraCrypt and configure an encrypted container for my sensitive data
--I add some tools
****Gparted (should be loaded by default like it is on the live DVD)
****dconf editor (very handy tool)
****HPLIP Toolbox (handy for HP network printer)
****GRUB Customizer (only used it once to solve one particular issue that I cannot recall now the exact details)
****System Manager (interesting but never used it but was curious about Systemd)
****Bleachbit (which doing so, to some on this forum, is analogous to giving a monkey a loaded machine gun in a crowded shopping mall)
--configure by browser
****Use DuckDuckGo as my search engine
****Add extensions - HTTPS Everywhere, AddBlock Pro, Privacy Badger, uMatrix, LastPass

I really do not use any other apps that are not already provided on Mint - actually there is too much software by default on Mint IMHO. I do replace a few apps that are recommended by Pjtor and I really like Leafpad that he recommends.

sphyrth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sphyrth »

Drivers (As Open Source as I can):
Noveau

Software (I tend to get from the PPA if the ones in the Software Manager aren't updated):
Audacity
Blender 3D
OpentShot
SimplescreenRecorder
Xiphos

Games:
0 A.D.
Minetest

Most Used Default:
Firefox
Gimp
LibreOffice

*I uninstall some apps installed by default because of Xenial Xerus (Rhythmbox is one)
Last edited by sphyrth on Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have a favorite game. It's on my Youtube Channel.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

After setting up the PPA's for Seamonkey, Google Chrome, and MultiSystem, (and then sudo apt-get update) I run my installation command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get -y --show-progress install  acetoneiso album apport-gtk asunder bluefish boot-info-script clipit converseen cthumb dconf-tools dvdbackup filezilla fsarchiver fslint geany gimp glances glines gnome-brave-icon-theme gnome-color-chooser gnome-logs gnome-search-tool google-chrome-stable gparted gpick grml-rescueboot grml2usb grsync gsmartcontrol gtkhash gwenrename hardinfo htop imagemagick-doc inkscape leafpad medit meld mint-meta-codecs multisystem nemo-image-converter openshot pinta pithos pmount preload puddletag roxterm seamonkey-mozilla-build shutter smartmontools smplayer smtube swapspace vlc xsane
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

I generally run KDE, though I did a year or so in xfce... I just (as in this month) installed LM 18 KDE, so I am setting up as we speak.

I use several Firefox profiles: my default, which has all the add-ons, my webcomic profile which is pretty much just ad blocking and Morning Coffee, a stripped-down blogging one (more on this), and a secure roaming profile for when I am out and about.

For the blogger, I locally install a Wordpress journal using LAMPS and PHPMyAdmin. Thinking about installing a local wiki engine for some of my creating.

Calibre for my ebook library

Clementine for music

My needs are simple
Try politeness; people will like you for it.

Lemongrass38
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lemongrass38 »

Alarm-clock-applet 
Apparmor
Autokey, autokey-gtk
backintime-qt4
baobab
build-essential
checkinstall
Chromium 
cryptomator
dconf
Dropbox
enigmail
f.lux
Filezilla
firejail (from .deb)
gdebi
gedit
gimp
git
gparted
guake
hwinfo
KeePassx
Krusader
libdvd-pkg
Liferea
mailutils
Megasync
nemo-dropbox
Okular
qTox 
uTox
p7zip-full
pavucontrol
qasmixer
qTox
r-recommended
Scilab
Spotify
Synapse 
Texstudio
thunderbird
((ubuntu-restricted-extras   (codecs)))(maybe I'll stop this)
utox
Variety 
Viber
Virtualbox
virtualbox-ext-pack
vlc
Wire
Zotero

Settings:

gksudo xed /etc/sysctl.conf
# Decrease swap usage to a more reasonable level
vm.swappiness=10

spotify cache-t to data partition

firejail gpg authentication
mkdir ~/.config/firejail
cp /etc/firejail/* ~/.config/firejail/

uninstall:
mono*

Firefox:
user.js
Black YouTube theme
Certificate Patrol
Decentraleyes
Dta
HTTPS Everywhere
Mega
No Resource URI Leak
NoScript
Privacy Badger
Privacy Settings
Self-Destructing Cookies
uBlock Origin

Chromium extensions:
Authy
Signal

Windows 10 x64 bit guest

Windows virtualbox programs:

Autodesk AutoCad
Autodesk Inventor
FreeCommander
Microsoft Office

Vim addons:

VundleVim/Vundle.vim
vim-latex/vim-latex
scrooloose/nerdtree
ervandew/supertab
WolfgangMehner/c-support
I've got a few things from this thread like Privacy Settings, so I updated. :)
Last edited by Lemongrass38 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If your issue is solved, please be so kind and indicate that by editing the topic title in the first post. :)

thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

Any app or driver you use that works in Mint 17.x, but doesn't in Mint 18.1?

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

Here's the software I've installed:

Audacity (editing audio files)
Banshee (media player)
Bombono DVD (DVD creator)
Brasero (CD image writer)
Dropbox (accessing important files from anywhere)
Google Chrome (Chrome is for my main Google account, Chromium is for my secondary account)
Gparted (partition and resize hard disks)
Grub Customizer (excellent grub menu editor)
KeePass2 (username and password manager---I keep the database in Dropbox to get my passwords from anywhere)
LibreOffice (Microsoft Office substitute)
OpenShot Video Editor (video editor)
Samba (share files with computers on my home network)
Shutter (captures screenshots)
Skype (video conferencing)
Teamviewer (remotely control computers---to help friends)
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

Here is a short list of what I cannot do without.

Dropbox
darktable (RAW photo developer)
MuseScore (for writing musical scores)
CherryTree (for taking and organizing notes)
TreeLine (a simple database - I use it to take/organize notes where I need structured fields)
Shutter (screen capture utility)
Converseen (a batch image conversion tool - I also use kRename)
AutoKey (a desktop automation utility that lets me execute a script or insert text on demand)
Scribus (an excellent desktop publishing application)
K3b (CD/DVD burner)
Tellico (collections manager)
MasterPDF Editor (for editing PDFs)
XnViewMP (my on-again, off-again default image viewer)
SeaMonkey (coming very close to being my default browser)
Calligre (ebook viewer)
HTop (a process viewer)
HTTrack (a website copier - I find it indispensable for creating off-line documentation (e.g., User Guides, manuals, tutorials) that is only offered as ON-line documentation)

NoWinBob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NoWinBob »

Just read Majpooper's comment with interest.What really caught my eye was deleting the suspend button.Since I run SSD's for boot drives,that makes me wonder if I can get rid of hibernate and sleep buttons,since these functions are a no-no with SSD's.Can this be done?

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean »

#stuff i don't use
apt uninstall -y rhythmbox

#fave apps
apt install --install-recommends -y asunder puddletag audacious xfburn steam cairo-dock whatsie uget cheese unison thunar pavucontrol radiotray

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

Graphics:
all gimp stuff (add ons plus I drop my own .gimp folder in the home folder for all the toys and settings)
Update GMIC from it's site (software manager is way outdated)
Blender
Inscape
Krita (plus a crap load of patterns and brushes)
MyPaint (until it's brushes get ported into gimp)
Scribus
Tiled (map editor for games) from it's site as software manager is too outdated
Printer/scanner software made for mine

Xiphos

Gparted

Chrome stable from google

IDE'S (most are standalones I drop into the home folder)
Intel XDK
Phaser Editor
Android Studio
RUBE (box2d editor)
Blue griffon
Eclipse
Libgdx stuff
Ninja (python editor)
Glade
Geany
Meld
Physics Editor (for making games)
QT

Office stuff:
Libre (comes preinstalled)
Calibre

Multimedia:
Audacity
Cheese
Kazzam
Openshot
Paulseaudio volume control
sfxr
VLC

xxamp (for testing stuff)
Plus some other web stuff

Plus drivers, and a crap load of other files to make everything run smoothly and be happy including firewall, rkhunter, some desklets and applets etc.......

Takes about 8 hours to save my home folder to an external and another 8 to load it back in, plus more time to set up everything which is why I hate doing new installs, but mint is the best I found to run all my toys smoothly.
So I go for LTS for a reason.
I use usb3 for the external but I got to much crap in my workstation, partial backups are quicker :D
When not making android stuff I don't bother installing android studio it's a total hog for memory and doing backups

I got more to come in the near future also soon as I check some things out to see if it's worth using them.

Sam
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

Sam
What do you have to run all this? - be curious to see output inxi -Fxzd

thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

That's a substantial list of Linux apps users find useful. Apps which I don't even know exist. List could be used by other devs who still struggle making their distros become mainstream. I have no doubt it's a deal breaker when a couple of these apps don't run in your distro.

On a side note, I don't uninstall anything that comes with the Mint ISO. What for? Saving a couple of megabytes won't mean anything nowadays. I rarely use LibreOffice, Gimp, and tens of utilities, for example. What's the harm in letting them stick around?

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

thom_A wrote:On a side note, I don't uninstall anything that comes with the Mint ISO. What for? Saving a couple of megabytes won't mean anything nowadays.
The answer is simple - I remove firefox and thunderbird because I don't want constant updates coming via the Update Manager, for programs I don't use:
sudo apt-get -y --purge autoremove firefox firefox-locale-en
sudo apt-get -y --purge autoremove thunderbird thunderbird-gnome-support

Then I remove all the rare fonts, so that I have a shorter list to deal with when I want to see the fonts I might actually use:

sudo apt-get -y --purge autoremove fonts-beng fonts-kacst fonts-kacst-one fonts-khmeros-core fonts-lao fonts-lklug-sinhala fonts-nanum fonts-sil-abyssinica fonts-sil-padauk fonts-takao-pgothic fonts-tibetan-machine fonts-tlwg-garuda fonts-tlwg-kinnari fonts-tlwg-loma fonts-tlwg-mono fonts-tlwg-norasi fonts-tlwg-purisa fonts-tlwg-sawasdee fonts-tlwg-typewriter fonts-tlwg-typist fonts-tlwg-typo fonts-tlwg-umpush fonts-tlwg-waree ttf-indic-fonts-core ttf-punjabi-fonts ttf-wqy-microhei  fonts-droid fonts-wqy-zenhei fonts-beng-extra fonts-deva fonts-gujr fonts-gujr-extra fonts-guru fonts-kalapi fonts-knda fonts-lohit-beng-bengali fonts-lohit-gujr fonts-lohit-guru fonts-lohit-knda fonts-lohit-mlym fonts-nakula fonts-navilu fonts-orya-extra fonts-pagul fonts-sahadeva fonts-samyak-deva fonts-samyak-gujr fonts-samyak-mlym fonts-samyak-taml fonts-sarai fonts-smc fonts-taml fonts-telu fonts-telu-extra fonts-tlwg-garuda-ttf fonts-tlwg-kinnari-ttf fonts-tlwg-laksaman fonts-tlwg-laksaman-ttf fonts-tlwg-loma-ttf fonts-tlwg-mono-ttf fonts-tlwg-norasi-ttf fonts-tlwg-purisa-ttf fonts-tlwg-sawasdee-ttf fonts-tlwg-typewriter-ttf fonts-tlwg-typist-ttf fonts-tlwg-typo-ttf fonts-tlwg-umpush-ttf fonts-tlwg-waree-ttf fonts-wqy-microhei 
Last edited by austin.texas on Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

austin.texas wrote:The answer is simple - I remove firefox and thunderbird because I don't want constant updates coming via the Update Manager, for programs I don't use:
You have a point. I tried using an alternative to Firefox, but the addons (only 2) I use are irreplaceable. Chrome is worse, imho. It's got default settings that seemed to be hardwired and leave you almost zero options.

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

majpooper wrote:Sam
What do you have to run all this? - be curious to see output inxi -Fxzd
Just a laptop (well my main workstation) I got a few laptops.
Here's the main guts

Machine: System: ASUSTeK (portable) product: X751LX v: 1.0
Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X751LX v: 1.0
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i7-5500U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9585
clock speeds: max: 3000 MHz 1: 1443 MHz 2: 1212 MHz 3: 1203 MHz
4: 2112 MHz
Graphics: Card-1: Intel Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics bus-ID: 00:02.0
Card-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 950M] bus-ID: 04:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 driver: nvidia
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 950M/PCIe/SSE2
GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 367.57 Direct Rendering: Yes

12 gig ram which might have to be bumped up soon, 1 TB HD, 17" screen, if I need bigger there is a hdmi and a big ole tv to use :lol:

I ran all this on less ram and a worst video card which is why I had to get a better system, it was to slow.
I was going to get the asus rog but this was on sale at the time and the only real difference was the ram, so it is one step down from a rog
the main thing is the fan shoots out the side instead of on the bottom, systems I had where it shoots out the bottom I had to sit on a metal grid so it could get the air or it would heat up to quick

Most of the IDE's / software, I have as standalone so I can save everything onto an external 3 TB, I might go with HD bays soon instead
when you do a lot of artwork and games (mainly the artwork) it takes a crap load of space.

I only use this thing for working with no heavy online gaming so it runs smoothly for my needs.

I usually only have three or four things running at the same time in workspaces to make sure they run fast along with the intuos tablet.
thom_A wrote:
On a side note, I don't uninstall anything that comes with the Mint ISO. What for? Saving a couple of megabytes won't mean anything nowadays.
I do, it is actually the first thing I do when I install an OS, where memory is critical for me I get rid of everything I don't use right away before even doing the updates.
List could be used by other devs who still struggle making their distros become mainstream
Some of mine are paid for and here is a list you will not find in the software manager

Intel XDK (cross platform html5 IDE)
Phaser Editor (nag screen or paid) (html5 phaser editor)
Android Studio
RUBE (paid)
Libgdx stuff
Physics Editor (paid) (box2d, P2 tracer for collisons)
I use phaser for my html5 stuff so I also have paid plug ins.

Sam
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

Rockisreal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rockisreal »

My machine is Lenovo G50 80 with Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz Dual Core, Intel Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics & AMD Radeon R5 M330
I replaced my optical drive for a HDD 500GB, and my OS system is SSHD8GB 500 GB. I upgraded my DDR3 at 1600 Mhz to 12 GB.

The main software I installed:
Fusion 8 by BlackMagicDesign
Lightworks Pro 14 (paid)
Inkscape
Gimp
OBS
KdenLive
Audacity
Jitsi
Steam
Tor
Blender
Handbrake
VLC
SimpleScan
Shutter
Chromium
Vivaldi

For Firefox I always install HTTPS everywhere, uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger, Disconnect, Decentraleyes, Random Agent Spoofer, Privacy Settings, Video DownloadHelper, Selfdestructing Cookies, and Better Privacy.

With this set up I can be doing professional VIDEO EDITING, VISUAL EFFECTS AND MOTION GRAPHICS. Also I am playing Life is Strange at this moment.
It's exciting were Linux has made it over the years!

majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

thom_A wrote:
"On a side note, I don't uninstall anything that comes with the Mint ISO. What for? Saving a couple of megabytes won't mean anything nowadays."

"I do, it is actually the first thing I do when I install an OS, where memory is critical for me I get rid of everything I don't use right away before even doing the updates."

I hate all the "bloatware" that comes as default. My concern is I am afraid if I remove some package I don't use it I may end up removing a lib or dependency that it shares with something I do use. I guess I could go through everything I do use and make a list of all the dependencies and then make sure I don't remove any of them but that seems like daunting and tedious task.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur »

I always install:
- fluxbox, first and always.
- firefox ESR.
- xfe
- wine
- virtualbox
- lxdm
- gimp (if it's not installed automagically)
majpooper wrote:I hate all the "bloatware" that comes as default. My concern is I am afraid if I remove some package I don't use it I may end up removing a lib or dependency that it shares with something I do use. I guess I could go through everything I do use and make a list of all the dependencies and then make sure I don't remove any of them but that seems like daunting and tedious task.
Og hate too.

Using synaptic, you can remove a lot of that bloat without, for me so far anywho, messing up other packages. Select the thing to uninstall (or better yet purge/'remove complely') mark it, hit apply and it'll give you a list of other things that depend on it...and that it will mark for removal. If you don't like the looks of it, hit cancel. You can do about the same thing with 'apt-get' on a terminal.

Ferinstance, to upgrade from 18 to 18.1, the upgrade manager wanted to reinstall

mint-artwork-common (version 2.0.9) will be installed
mint-artwork-gnome (version 2.6.46) will be installed
mint-artwork-xfce (version 2016.07.27.1) will be installed
mint-backgrounds-sarah (version 1.1) will be installed
mint-backgrounds-xfce (version 2016.07.12) will be installed
mint-meta-core (version 2016.07.23) will be installed
mint-meta-xfce (version 2016.07.23) will be installed
mintbackup (version 2.2.4) will be installed
mintdesktop (version 3.5.2) will be installed
mintupload (version 4.0.8) will be installed
mintwelcome (version 2.2.2) will be installed
mugshot (version 0.3.1-0ubuntu1) will be installed
ubuntu-system-adjustments (version 2016.09.02) will be installed
but I removed them again after the upgrade. The backgrounds and such are 90Meg.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”