Budgie Desktop on linux mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marius77
Level 1
Level 1

Budgie Desktop on linux mint?

Post by marius77 »

If you've seen solus budgie desktop, you probably got a revelation. Atleast i had.

This is the future folks! KDE is great too, but the strongest candidate regarding the future on the GTK side is def budgie. Sure it needs more development but could the linux mint team ever consider this?

Its also a shame theres only the 2 default mate / cinnamon desktops on linux mint debian edition. And i cant wait for snappy packages to become the default install option, it will be linux moonlanding, finally a standard for installing things on linux without creating havoc on the system!

Great things coming on linux, but it could be even better by embracing budgie!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: BUDGIE DESKTOP on linux mint?

Post by xenopeek »

You can install Budgie desktop through the budgie-remix PPA. Seeing as Budgie is in the midst of a rewrite (to replace Gtk with Qt) and is 64-bit only while Linux Mint remains available for 32-bit systems, it is not a good fit for Linux Mint—if it would even be justifiable to our users to drop a current edition to make time available to work on a Budgie edition.
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

To me, I see no more point in re-inventing the wheel. The only new OS desktop that I would appreciate is something that has extras or additions, not something where items I am familiar with are no longer there or eliminated. I never understood why they keep minimizing the power of the right-click mouse button, for example, instead of taking advantage of it. My main principle is simply this: the more options I have in accessing items the better. This notion of eliminating redundancies doesn't suit me. This is not about composing an essay or something. This is about accessibility. I used to be a power user of a certain application where I can have as many options as I want in accessing a command or tool, ie, by clicking an icon, by right-click, by pull-down menu, short-cut key, etc. Point is if you have to design a new DE, don't subtract. Add.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Budgie Desktop on linux mint?

Post by MartyMint »

Budgie seems interesting. Let's see where it is in terms of development in a year when Canonical releases 18.04 , as I am a primarily Ubuntu LTS user.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I played briefly with Budgie under Solus, but it has a heavier feeling (in the sense of being a smidge laggy) than Cinnamon in LinuxMint. That said, however, Cinnamon running on pure Debian is faster than in LM.

Does anyone here know why they are switching underpinnings to Qt?
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
boysha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by boysha »

Something about Gnome 2 and code being harder and harder to work on and starting from qt is easier...
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

If you want Budgie, go use a distro that ships with it. I suggest Solus. Budgie really doesn't fit Mint's stated goals of providing a traditional desktop experience with the lack of right-click options being a case in point.
thom_A wrote:I never understood why they keep minimizing the power of the right-click mouse button, for example, instead of taking advantage of it.
Seems to me a lot of people associate the tablet revolution with 'new','fresh','modern' and somehow think bringing tablet 'features' that are actually limitations to the desktop/laptop is a step forward.
Portreve wrote:Does anyone here know why they are switching underpinnings to Qt?
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/01/budg ... ving-qt-11
frsu

Post by frsu »

Is there any news, development on this since the latest reply in 2017? I use Ubuntu Budgie for some time now and would like to have the Mint solid base with a Budgie desktop.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, frsu.

I am convinced that xenopeek's reply from 2017 why Budgie will not be adopted by the Mint developers team still applies.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
frsu

Post by frsu »

There is an Ubuntu 19.04 Budgie version. So it is very actual. Maybe I will give it a try with an 64 bit Mint 19 Mate and add the Budie desktop to it.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, frsu.

Careful, please: Ubuntu 19.04 (not yet released) is newer than Mint 19.x. Mint 19.x is based on Ubuntu 18.04. Hence you should not try installing a Budgie version meant for Ubuntu 19.04 on Mint 19.x. You might easily run into unresolvable dependency problems. You should make sure to pick a Budgie version targeting Ubuntu 18.04 instead.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
frsu

Post by frsu »

Okay Karl, Thanks for the tip.
WinterFrost201

Post by WinterFrost201 »

xenopeek wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:48 am You can install Budgie desktop through the budgie-remix PPA. Seeing as Budgie is in the midst of a rewrite (to replace Gtk with Qt) and is 64-bit only while Linux Mint remains available for 32-bit systems, it is not a good fit for Linux Mint—if it would even be justifiable to our users to drop a current edition to make time available to work on a Budgie edition.
Where would I get the budgie-remix PPA? Would I have to add it?
Kepos

Post by Kepos »

Well, just learning how-to do things on mint, but I found a budgie backports ppa for Ubuntu Budgie, which also offers budgie for Linux Mint 19.1 as both are based on Ubuntu 18.04.
I found several ppa's, but most of them are quite old and have not been updated for a while, so they certainly do not work for LM19.1/U18.04.
So I patched together Ubuntu ppa and commands from noobslab to get it working.

Open terminal and type:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntubudgie/backports
sudo apt-get update
After you downloaded and installed budgie-desktop you'll find it active in LM repository.

What's left to do is to simply change the desktop to budgie:
  • - start application management -> type search for 'Budgie'
  • - pull down the list till you reach Ubuntu-budgie-desktop and install it
  • - Log-out
  • - where you type your password, at the right side of your name is a small button -> push it
  • - change your desktop from Cinnamon to Budgie (or any other installed desktop)
  • - Log-in again
Have fun! :D

Left to do would be to get the latest Budgie version from Solus, probably someone knows how to?

After some reading, I found out, that I was using Budgie-Desktop, not Ubuntu-Budgie-Desktop. So I updated the above route to get the latest Budgie 10.5 running. In case you installed

sudo apt-get install budgie-desktop
simply remove it with

sudo apt-get purge budgie-desktop
to have a clean setup.

Credits:
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntubudgie/+ar ... /backports
https://www.noobslab.com/2017/01/budgie ... e-for.html
Last edited by karlchen on Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: replaced [C] tags by [code] tags and by [list] tags as appropriate

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”