Budgie Desktop on linux mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
marius77
Level 1
Level 1

Budgie Desktop on linux mint?

Postby marius77 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:25 pm

If you've seen solus budgie desktop, you probably got a revelation. Atleast i had.

This is the future folks! KDE is great too, but the strongest candidate regarding the future on the GTK side is def budgie. Sure it needs more development but could the linux mint team ever consider this?

Its also a shame theres only the 2 default mate / cinnamon desktops on linux mint debian edition. And i cant wait for snappy packages to become the default install option, it will be linux moonlanding, finally a standard for installing things on linux without creating havoc on the system!

Great things coming on linux, but it could be even better by embracing budgie!

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: BUDGIE DESKTOP on linux mint?

Postby xenopeek » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:48 am

You can install Budgie desktop through the budgie-remix PPA. Seeing as Budgie is in the midst of a rewrite (to replace Gtk with Qt) and is 64-bit only while Linux Mint remains available for 32-bit systems, it is not a good fit for Linux Mint—if it would even be justifiable to our users to drop a current edition to make time available to work on a Budgie edition.

thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Postby thom_A » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:25 pm

To me, I see no more point in re-inventing the wheel. The only new OS desktop that I would appreciate is something that has extras or additions, not something where items I am familiar with are no longer there or eliminated. I never understood why they keep minimizing the power of the right-click mouse button, for example, instead of taking advantage of it. My main principle is simply this: the more options I have in accessing items the better. This notion of eliminating redundancies doesn't suit me. This is not about composing an essay or something. This is about accessibility. I used to be a power user of a certain application where I can have as many options as I want in accessing a command or tool, ie, by clicking an icon, by right-click, by pull-down menu, short-cut key, etc. Point is if you have to design a new DE, don't subtract. Add.

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Budgie Desktop on linux mint?

Postby MartyMint » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:48 pm

Budgie seems interesting. Let's see where it is in terms of development in a year when Canonical releases 18.04 , as I am a primarily Ubuntu LTS user.

Portreve
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Portreve » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:39 pm

I played briefly with Budgie under Solus, but it has a heavier feeling (in the sense of being a smidge laggy) than Cinnamon in LinuxMint. That said, however, Cinnamon running on pure Debian is faster than in LM.

Does anyone here know why they are switching underpinnings to Qt?
Everything is in hand. With this tapestry... and with patience, there is nothing one cannot achieve.

No hamsters were harmed in the authoring of this post.

boysha
Level 2
Level 2

Postby boysha » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:37 pm

Something about Gnome 2 and code being harder and harder to work on and starting from qt is easier...

MintBean
Level 8
Level 8

Postby MintBean » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:51 pm

If you want Budgie, go use a distro that ships with it. I suggest Solus. Budgie really doesn't fit Mint's stated goals of providing a traditional desktop experience with the lack of right-click options being a case in point.

thom_A wrote:I never understood why they keep minimizing the power of the right-click mouse button, for example, instead of taking advantage of it.
Seems to me a lot of people associate the tablet revolution with 'new','fresh','modern' and somehow think bringing tablet 'features' that are actually limitations to the desktop/laptop is a step forward.

Portreve wrote:Does anyone here know why they are switching underpinnings to Qt?

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/01/budgie-desktop-moving-qt-11

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”