4.14.8 kernel on LM 18.3 xfce 64-bit - works well...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

4.14.8 kernel on LM 18.3 xfce 64-bit - works well...

Post by mingle »

Hi Guys,

After having reasonable results upgrading my Linux Mint 18.0 64-bit xfce system to the 4.7 kernel a few months back, I thought I'd try the same with the newly released 4.14.8 kernel on my LM 18.3 xfce 64-bit system..

So far works fine, with no issues. I also tried the 4.9.9 kernel for a few weeks and had no problems with that either.

Just thought I'd share, in case anyone else wants to give it a shot.

(Disclaimer: Please take suitable precautions before attempting a Kernel upgrade and don't blame me if you feck-up your box!)

Cheers,

Mike.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: 4.10.0 kernel on LM 18.1 xfce 64-bit - works well...

Post by xenopeek »

Another disclaimer would be that the user should keep themselves appraised of all security vulnerabilities in their manually installed kernel (using something like https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabilit ... 47&order=1) and, when prudent, install a newer upstream kernel that fixes those security vulnerabilities. Update Manager will not inform the user of available security upgrades for manually installed kernels.

The user should also keep keep themselves appraised of the end-of-life date for their manually installed kernel. Upstream kernels other than the LTS kernel have a very short support period. Timely install a newer upstream kernel!

In short, unless you need it for new hardware enablement that the HWE kernel on Linux Mint 18.1 (currently version 4.8 ) doesn't tackle, I would caution against doing this.
idle

Post by idle »

"In short, unless you need it for new hardware enablement that the HWE kernel on Linux Mint 18.1 (currently version 4.8 ) doesn't tackle, I would caution against doing this."

I am currently using 4.4.0-53 but I have an update available in the Update Manager for 4.4.0-65
Just wondering about you saying current version is 4.8, if I update to 4.4.0-65, will the update manager offer the 4.8 kernel next, or is that something I have to install myself?

Thanks.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

idle wrote:Just wondering about you saying current version is 4.8, if I update to 4.4.0-65, will the update manager offer the 4.8 kernel next, or is that something I have to install myself?
If your hardware currently works well, I advise to stick to the 4.4 kernel series, because only that series is long term supported (LTS). The 4.8 kernel series has a much shorter lifespan; it's only there because of support for new hardware (drivers).
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
idle

Post by idle »

Pjotr wrote:
idle wrote:Just wondering about you saying current version is 4.8, if I update to 4.4.0-65, will the update manager offer the 4.8 kernel next, or is that something I have to install myself?
If your hardware currently works well, I advise to stick to the 4.4 kernel series, because only that series is long term supported (LTS). The 4.8 kernel series has a much shorter lifespan; it's only there because of support for new hardware (drivers).
I have a somewhat recent laptop that is my main rig. MSI GT72 6QD Dominator G. Everything works (except VLC and everything else I've tried won't play DVDs) but when you say currently works well, I am wondering about latest CPU support, and latest graphics support if using a more recent kernel? or is LTS meaning its updated with these things in mind, so its a safer thing to do?
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

idle wrote:
Pjotr wrote:
I have a somewhat recent laptop that is my main rig. MSI GT72 6QD Dominator G. Everything works (except VLC and everything else I've tried won't play DVDs) but when you say currently works well, I am wondering about latest CPU support, and latest graphics support if using a more recent kernel? or is LTS meaning its updated with these things in mind, so its a safer thing to do?
Roughly, and oversimplifying a lot: newer kernel series are there for adding new features and for support for newer hardware. Newer kernels within a series are there for fixing security and stability flaws.

This rough outline isn't entirely true, but you get the main picture. :mrgreen:

Playing DVD's: try this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libdvd-pkg
idle

Post by idle »

libdvd-pkg is already the newest version (1.4.0-1-1)
pizzadude
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pizzadude »

PSA:

This http://www.teejeetech.in/p/ukuu-kernel- ... ility.html (UKUU) is an updater for mainline kernels and notify's you when a new kernel is available.
we fedora kde now
hobbledehoy899

Post by hobbledehoy899 »

heh
I'm already using 4.11!
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

Just another update.

Since upgrading to 4.10, I installed the ukuu kernel update utility (which automates the update process) and have been regularly updating the kernel upon each official release.

Currently running kernel 4.13.6.

I'm running LM 18.2 xfce, 64-bit and have had zero issues so far - that's just shy of 8 months of regular kernel upgrades.

Cheers,

Mike.
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Re: 4.14.8 kernel on LM 18.3 xfce 64-bit - works well...

Post by mingle »

Once again - another update.

After a clean install of LM 18.3 xfce 64-bit, I installed Ukuu and then installed kernel 4.14.8.

Been running for a few days now with no issues at all.

Cheers,

Mike.
MrT
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MrT »

@mingle

Kernel 4.14.9 and above are the real test. Many people are reporting issues and across several distro's. Basically, it seems that kernel 4.14.9 and above do not play well with Nvidia drivers. As of my writing, Nvidia has issued new drivers, but they seem to solve the problem for some users only. I probably upgdraded my kernel 20x and never had a single issue. Then 4.14.9 came along, and the life of my laptop has not been the same anymore.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

To begin with: one should stick to the officially supported kernel series. :shock:

The 4.14 kernel series is *not* officially supported in Linux Mint, nor will it ever be. So: roll back to the latest kernel of the 4.4 series or the latest kernel of the 4.13 series.

By the way: the upcoming Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, which will become the codebase for Mint 19, will feature the 4.15 kernel series: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Support# ... el_Support

Note that upstream LTS at kernel.org, has nothing to do at all with downstream LTS (Ubuntu/Mint). Only the latter is relevant for Ubuntu/Mint users. Upstream LTS is totally irrelevant for us.

The 4.14 kernel? Just: https://d2gg9evh47fn9z.cloudfront.net/8 ... 452998.jpg
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

Another update - not suggesting everyone rush out and try it - just FYI really...

I've been running LM 19.0 xfce 64-bit since it was launched earlier in the year and have been updating to the latest kernel version via the UKUU program.

Currently running 4.19.8

I've had no issues on any of the kernel series from 4.16 thru 4.19.

After updating the kernel I always start all of my applications and give them a good workout and have never had to roll-back kernels.

My system is fairly modest - a Dell 9010 AIO i5, 8GB DDR3, 480GB SSD with whatever the built-in GFX is (never really checked, since I'm not really interested in GFX performance).

One thing I've learned from my on-gong 'kernel experiment' is how robust and reliable Linux Mint is - a testament to the hard-working devs. :-)

Cheers,

Mike.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”