4.13.12 kernel on LM 18.2 xfce 64-bit - works well...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
User avatar
mingle
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 9:58 pm

4.13.12 kernel on LM 18.2 xfce 64-bit - works well...

Postby mingle » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:09 am

Hi Guys,

After having reasonable results upgrading my Linux Mint 18.0 64-bit xfce system to the 4.7 kernel a few months back, I thought I'd try the same with the newly released 4.10.0 kernel on my LM 18.1 xfce 64-bit system..

I followed the (very) simple instructions here:

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... inux-mint/

So far works fine, with no issues. I also tried the 4.9.9 kernel for a few weeks and had no problems with that either.

Just thought I'd share, in case anyone else wants to give it a shot.

(Disclaimer: Please take suitable precautions before attempting a Kernel upgrade and don't blame me if you feck-up your box!)

Cheers,

Mike.
Last edited by mingle on Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24
Posts: 21461
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: 4.10.0 kernel on LM 18.1 xfce 64-bit - works well...

Postby xenopeek » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:23 am

Another disclaimer would be that the user should keep themselves appraised of all security vulnerabilities in their manually installed kernel (using something like https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabilit ... 47&order=1) and, when prudent, install a newer upstream kernel that fixes those security vulnerabilities. Update Manager will not inform the user of available security upgrades for manually installed kernels.

The user should also keep keep themselves appraised of the end-of-life date for their manually installed kernel. Upstream kernels other than the LTS kernel have a very short support period. Timely install a newer upstream kernel!

In short, unless you need it for new hardware enablement that the HWE kernel on Linux Mint 18.1 (currently version 4.8 ) doesn't tackle, I would caution against doing this.
Image

User avatar
idle
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:25 am

Re: 4.10.0 kernel on LM 18.1 xfce 64-bit - works well...

Postby idle » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:09 am

"In short, unless you need it for new hardware enablement that the HWE kernel on Linux Mint 18.1 (currently version 4.8 ) doesn't tackle, I would caution against doing this."

I am currently using 4.4.0-53 but I have an update available in the Update Manager for 4.4.0-65
Just wondering about you saying current version is 4.8, if I update to 4.4.0-65, will the update manager offer the 4.8 kernel next, or is that something I have to install myself?

Thanks.

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8999
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: 4.10.0 kernel on LM 18.1 xfce 64-bit - works well...

Postby Pjotr » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:15 am

idle wrote:Just wondering about you saying current version is 4.8, if I update to 4.4.0-65, will the update manager offer the 4.8 kernel next, or is that something I have to install myself?

If your hardware currently works well, I advise to stick to the 4.4 kernel series, because only that series is long term supported (LTS). The 4.8 kernel series has a much shorter lifespan; it's only there because of support for new hardware (drivers).
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

User avatar
idle
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:25 am

Re: 4.10.0 kernel on LM 18.1 xfce 64-bit - works well...

Postby idle » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:23 am

Pjotr wrote:
idle wrote:Just wondering about you saying current version is 4.8, if I update to 4.4.0-65, will the update manager offer the 4.8 kernel next, or is that something I have to install myself?

If your hardware currently works well, I advise to stick to the 4.4 kernel series, because only that series is long term supported (LTS). The 4.8 kernel series has a much shorter lifespan; it's only there because of support for new hardware (drivers).


I have a somewhat recent laptop that is my main rig. MSI GT72 6QD Dominator G. Everything works (except VLC and everything else I've tried won't play DVDs) but when you say currently works well, I am wondering about latest CPU support, and latest graphics support if using a more recent kernel? or is LTS meaning its updated with these things in mind, so its a safer thing to do?

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8999
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: 4.10.0 kernel on LM 18.1 xfce 64-bit - works well...

Postby Pjotr » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:27 am

idle wrote:
Pjotr wrote:
idle wrote:Just wondering about you saying current version is 4.8, if I update to 4.4.0-65, will the update manager offer the 4.8 kernel next, or is that something I have to install myself?

If your hardware currently works well, I advise to stick to the 4.4 kernel series, because only that series is long term supported (LTS). The 4.8 kernel series has a much shorter lifespan; it's only there because of support for new hardware (drivers).


I have a somewhat recent laptop that is my main rig. MSI GT72 6QD Dominator G. Everything works (except VLC and everything else I've tried won't play DVDs) but when you say currently works well, I am wondering about latest CPU support, and latest graphics support if using a more recent kernel? or is LTS meaning its updated with these things in mind, so its a safer thing to do?

Roughly, and oversimplifying a lot: newer kernel series are there for adding new features and for support for newer hardware. Newer kernels within a series are there for fixing security and stability flaws.

This rough outline isn't entirely true, but you get the main picture. :mrgreen:

Playing DVD's: try this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libdvd-pkg
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

User avatar
idle
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:25 am

Re: 4.10.0 kernel on LM 18.1 xfce 64-bit - works well...

Postby idle » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:37 am

libdvd-pkg is already the newest version (1.4.0-1-1)

User avatar
pizzadude
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:57 pm

Re: 4.10.0 kernel on LM 18.1 xfce 64-bit - works well...

Postby pizzadude » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:03 pm

PSA:

This http://www.teejeetech.in/p/ukuu-kernel- ... ility.html (UKUU) is an updater for mainline kernels and notify's you when a new kernel is available.

User avatar
hobbledehoy899
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:51 am

Re: 4.10.0 kernel on LM 18.1 xfce 64-bit - works well...

Postby hobbledehoy899 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:58 am

heh
I'm already using 4.11!

User avatar
mingle
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 9:58 pm

Re: 4.10.0 kernel on LM 18.1 xfce 64-bit - works well...

Postby mingle » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:33 am

Just another update.

Since upgrading to 4.10, I installed the ukuu kernel update utility (which automates the update process) and have been regularly updating the kernel upon each official release.

Currently running kernel 4.13.6.

I'm running LM 18.2 xfce, 64-bit and have had zero issues so far - that's just shy of 8 months of regular kernel upgrades.

Cheers,

Mike.


Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”