How Come I Don't Have Any Questions?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
soundchaser59
Level 2
Level 2

How Come I Don't Have Any Questions?

Post by soundchaser59 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:34 am

I just wanted to let you people know that I have been running Mint (Cinnamon) now for about 6 months, maybe a bit longer, and it is running great. I am not having any problems with the machine, no malware, no virus crap, nothing I want to do that I can't do, everything I asked how to do has been answered and is working......

The only thing I need to fiddle with is file sharing, but that is only because I don't understand how it works in Linux, it is no fault of Linux or Mint. I'll get there soon.

I am very glad I switched, I don't miss Windows at all, and I thank all of you for your help and input getting me this far. I wish more and more people would follow suit and make the switch.

THANKS!
Gary (aka soundchaser59)

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How Come I Don't Have Any Questions?

Post by Moem » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:58 am

Either you are really really smart, or Mint is just that good.
I suspect a little bit from column A and a little bit from column B! :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:13 am

Gary:

Good job and well done.
I've 23 years in IT and I still use "defaults"... (Exception: Partition{s,ing})

But, if you would, to what do you attribute this?

Thank you.

soundchaser59
Level 2
Level 2

Post by soundchaser59 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:37 pm

Habitual wrote:But, if you would, to what do you attribute this?
Partly my desire to make the switch, but mostly to the "state of the art" that has been achieved with Linux to date, especially with Mint. The other major factor is the excellent help and responses I got on this forum and on another forum to help me solve issues and overcome obstacles with setting up to suit my needs.

I'm extremely impressed with how far Linux has come in the last 15-20 years. In my opinion it just can't get much easier than Mint. It was definitely easier than re-installing Windows 7 on my other machine. Coupled with the excellent help here that is volunteered so freely, a guy just can't go wrong making the jump to Linux. I'm very impressed and quite happy to be running it at home.

thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:33 pm

Any Cinnamon theme you found nice-looking?

I haven't gone through all of them but I've been using Glass Wheezy Classic and I like it. I also replaced the Shutdown, Logout and Lock screen icons, in addition.

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:16 pm

soundchaser59 wrote:
Habitual wrote:But, if you would, to what do you attribute this?
Partly my desire to make the switch, but mostly to the "state of the art" that has been achieved with Linux to date, especially with Mint. The other major factor is the excellent help and responses I got on this forum and on another forum to help me solve issues and overcome obstacles with setting up to suit my needs.

I'm extremely impressed with how far Linux has come in the last 15-20 years. In my opinion it just can't get much easier than Mint. It was definitely easier than re-installing Windows 7 on my other machine. Coupled with the excellent help here that is volunteered so freely, a guy just can't go wrong making the jump to Linux. I'm very impressed and quite happy to be running it at home.
Thank you for your reply.

M Patterson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by M Patterson » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:01 pm

soundchaser59 wrote: The only thing I need to fiddle with is file sharing, but that is only because I don't understand how it works in Linux, it is no fault of Linux or Mint. I'll get there soon.
Yeah, I'm a new user to Linux, myself, and I've found it to be quite polished and easy to use. I'm quite pleased with it. I had some trouble establishing shares between my Linux and Windows machines, but that was mostly due to following some old advice (and some new bad advice) and attempting to use bad Samba GUIs. The only necessary Samba interface is already baked into LM 18.1 (probably 18.0, also). This is a vast improvement over how things must have been, previously, but user-friendliness is judged by how easily someone can click their way to success without having to read the manual or search online for answers. In the end, the solution was very simple, but finding it took two weeks before I could browse my Windows computer from my Linux computer, and another week before I figured out how to do the reverse. I wish you the best of luck. Don't give up.

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Citizen229 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:00 pm

What I have experienced that last year or so....

PLUG AND PLAY! HOORAY!
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
Seeking GPU's, i5/7/9's , Ryzens.

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:18 pm

Citizen229 wrote:What I have experienced that last year or so....

PLUG AND PLAY! HOORAY!
Y'know, it's a funny thing, that.

You can tell the difference between a Mac OS / Mac OS X user and a Windows user because, when connecting things like mice, keyboards, printers, flash drive readers, and so on, a Mac user expects it to just start working, or working with the addition of a driver or somesuch, and a Windows user is waiting for the Hardware Detection process to start, and thinks something is wrong when they fail to see that.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 beta.

Also looking for a new job.

Jim Hauser
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jim Hauser » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:09 pm

When I jumped to Linux Mint for good I expected a long learning process and many small hurdles. What I got instead was a well configured OS that worked so well (for me) that I ended up upgrading my equipment. Now it just sits there, runs 24/7 and only requires a weekly backup. The worst problem I have had was the BIOS battery going bad. If I need trouble I could always switch back to Windows!

Cheers!

Jim

soundchaser59
Level 2
Level 2

Post by soundchaser59 » Fri May 26, 2017 7:36 pm

M Patterson wrote: Yeah, I'm a new user to Linux, myself, and I've found it to be quite polished and easy to use. I'm quite pleased with it. I had some trouble establishing shares between my Linux and Windows machines, but that was mostly due to following some old advice (and some new bad advice) and attempting to use bad Samba GUIs. The only necessary Samba interface is already baked into LM 18.1 (probably 18.0, also). This is a vast improvement over how things must have been, previously, but user-friendliness is judged by how easily someone can click their way to success without having to read the manual or search online for answers. In the end, the solution was very simple, but finding it took two weeks before I could browse my Windows computer from my Linux computer, and another week before I figured out how to do the reverse. I wish you the best of luck. Don't give up.
This is spot on to what I am doing. This is exactly how it went for me, and the two-way file sharing and browsing between LM and Win 7 is my only obstacle left. Do you have any tips or shortcuts I can look into to finish my only remaining task? Other than that, I am completely hapy with Mint. I can start by upgrading to 18.1 in the next couple days, over this long holiday weekend. All I need for that is a few more mochas and some quiet time after midnight! :mrgreen:

soundchaser59
Level 2
Level 2

Post by soundchaser59 » Fri May 26, 2017 7:37 pm

Jim Hauser wrote:When I jumped to Linux Mint for good I expected a long learning process and many small hurdles. What I got instead was a well configured OS that worked so well (for me) that I ended up upgrading my equipment. Now it just sits there, runs 24/7 and only requires a weekly backup. The worst problem I have had was the BIOS battery going bad. If I need trouble I could always switch back to Windows!
Agreed. I don't miss Windows one freaking bit. The only thing I am pondering now is how I'm going to raise some $$$$ to get a more up to date piece of hardware here in my home office to run this awesome LM system. If I had up to date hardware here this LM machine would be a source of shock and awe to all other computer users who visit my humble abode.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Sat May 27, 2017 10:12 am

"How Come I Don't Have Any Questions?" is an interesting question.

SAMBA links
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”