I have Mint 18.1 sitting on my Windows 10 Home PC screen

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Jenny
Level 1
Level 1

I have Mint 18.1 sitting on my Windows 10 Home PC screen

Post by Jenny » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:33 pm

Complete Noob about Linux. Please talk to me like I'm a 5 year old. Before I open the program and let it set up I want to make sure I know what I'm doing.

I have a home PC with Windows 10. Lots of hard drive space, plenty of RAM.

Will the installation automatically create a partition and do all the necessary things itself?

Can I just open the install and let it do it's thing? On the Mint download page was a section about the ISO. I don't even know what an 'ISO' is. I tried to follow the instructions but I know ZIP about computer code, it all looks like Chinese to me. So, I skipped that part and just downloaded the program to my PC screen. And there it sits.

Am I good to let it install and just follow prompts and point & click options? Don't know what I'm doing guys. Please walk me through this. Hold my hand, give me an ice cream cone and point out the steps. Thanks in advance. Jenny

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: I have Mint 18.1 sitting on my Windows 10 Home PC screen

Post by Pierre » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:10 pm

"Can I just open the install and let it do it's thing? "

in theory - you can do that, but it pays to be a bit smarter.
:)

have a read of this Tutorial:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126

then look at this site, for how to burn that ISO to disk:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... /burn-mint

if you have any more Questions, then do post them back here .

you may wish to introduce yourself to some of the Ladies here:
viewtopic.php?t=209246
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Lysander666
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Lysander666 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:25 am

I think what you're asking is "can I just double click the ISO file and it will open and start installing". Hmmm no, it won't do that. The ISO file is not what's called an executable file, i.e. you double click it and it does everything.

The ISO is a file [or more specifically a "disk image"] that has to be burned to a DVD or loaded to a USB drive so that the system can boot from that drive. Once that has been created, you restart the computer and boot from it. This is called a Live DVD or Live USB or mountable drive. You can then go about partitioning and installing. The 'kicker' here, as they say, is that many PCs are not configured to boot from DVD or USB. They look for the Windows boot loader on your hard disk and will ignore the DVD or USB. If this is the case, you will have to go into the BIOS and change the boot device priority. But we can get to that.

Just transferring the ISO to a USB is not the same as creating a Live USB to boot from. You need a program like Rufus to do this for you. I created my first live USB for Ubuntu, not Mint. This is the tutorial I used. The process for Mint should be the same.

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop ... on-windows

I will let someone take over from here since it's been years since I partitioned. I always install over the whole hard drive. I will say that in Linux you will have to get to know some of that Chinese computer code. Not that much though. In Mint there is less you have to work with it than other Linux distributions.
Debian 9.4 / Slackware 14.2

shengchieh
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shengchieh » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:40 pm

As a long-tine linux user (12+ years), I personally frown on dual-boot w/ window. I've seen all kind of unnecessary problems. If you have an old box floating around use it as a linux-only box. Easier. Plus if you mess up, you have
the window box as your "stable" box. But after awhile you will find linux to be more stable.

Sheng-Chieh

Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:22 pm

shengchieh wrote:As a long-tine linux user (12+ years), I personally frown on dual-boot w/ window. I've seen all kind of unnecessary problems. If you have an old box floating around use it as a linux-only box. Easier. Plus if you mess up, you have
the window box as your "stable" box. But after awhile you will find linux to be more stable.

Sheng-Chieh

I think that is good advice. Although I multi-boot and many people dual boot successfully, this type of a set up should never be attempted unless you are willing to lose both your Linux install and your Windows install and you have your data archived separate from your machine.

Even then, many problems could occur.

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:31 pm

might be good to see if the partition is dynamic or basic first before doing anything.
you have to go to disk management there you will see your partitions, a column will say "type" if it is basic your partition is linux friendly.
If it is dynamic then hmmm ahhh unless they fixed that so it can be useable for linux then that's another whole can of worms.
It can be done but if you are new as your stating I wouldn't do it but give it to someone else to do it that knows what there doing. Even geek squad probably don't know, I asked them in best buy once if the partition on the laptop I wanted to buy was dynamic or basic, a glazed look came over their faces and asked me what that was :roll:

check what TYPE the partiton is first.

Here is aquick tutorial I found how to find disk management on windows 10 for you https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/7- ... ws-10.html

You can introduce yourself to our ladies community here: viewtopic.php?f=180&t=209246

Sam
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:21 pm

In my case, dual-booting with Windows, which I rarely use, is not a problem. Hard to sell a machine without a legit Windows in it. Mine is probably more complicated than most users. It's not only a dual-boot but a multi-boot setup: five partitions with 2 Windows 10 and 7, plus 3 Linux Mint flavors. Which means there is no harm in adding as many as 4 Linux partitions co-existing with Windows. But you can start with a dual-boot.

CoffeeFiend
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CoffeeFiend » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:25 am

Why not load Mint on a flash drive and run it in live mode with persistence? That way you can get familiarized with it while learning the ins and outs of partitioning and dual booting so that you can avoid making any instantly regrettable decisions that may lead to you losing data or, heaven forbid, you decide you want to stay with Windows 10.
"The best part of waking up, is Folgers in your cup!"

Lysander666
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Lysander666 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:25 am

CoffeeFiend wrote:Why not load Mint on a flash drive and run it in live mode with persistence? That way you can get familiarized with it while learning the ins and outs of partitioning and dual booting so that you can avoid making any instantly regrettable decisions that may lead to you losing data or, heaven forbid, you decide you want to stay with Windows 10.
I think you're flogging a dead horse, OP hasn't been back for two weeks.

CoffeeFiend
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CoffeeFiend » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:59 am

Lysander666 wrote:
CoffeeFiend wrote:Why not load Mint on a flash drive and run it in live mode with persistence? That way you can get familiarized with it while learning the ins and outs of partitioning and dual booting so that you can avoid making any instantly regrettable decisions that may lead to you losing data or, heaven forbid, you decide you want to stay with Windows 10.
I think you're flogging a dead horse, OP hasn't been back for two weeks.
What a shame. Well, hopefully she got the answer she was looking for.
"The best part of waking up, is Folgers in your cup!"

Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:49 am

The OP has tried to gain the advice that she was seeking elsewhere http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/mint-l ... creen.html

She is not interested in this project anymore.

Lysander666
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Lysander666 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:20 am

Her reply from that other thread:
After reading the replies I decided it was too complicated and taking up too much of my time so I just deleted it from my pc screen and carried on.... with life.
Good of her to thank us for the help.

Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:52 am

Lysander666 wrote:Her reply from that other thread:
After reading the replies I decided it was too complicated and taking up too much of my time so I just deleted it from my pc screen and carried on.... with life.
Good of her to thank us for the help.

Exactly. I started a private conversation on the other forum about her lack of etiquette. Some people feel that just because we are all using computers and can't actually see each other, that there is no need for etiquette. Oh well!!!

I still hope that the OP tries Linux.

ColdBoot
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ColdBoot » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:14 am

Rocky Bennett wrote:
Exactly. I started a private conversation on the other forum about her lack of etiquette. Some people feel that just because we are all using computers and can't actually see each other, that there is no need for etiquette. Oh well!!!

I still hope that the OP tries Linux.
No, it will never try using Linux because its a troll that spams Linux forums and can only conclude with "it needs to go on with its life". Incidentally, windoze, gives you that power... :twisted:

As for lack of etiquette, not a desirable trait among "honorable" windblows trolls.
Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1
Intel G1820, DDR3 8GB, Nvidia GT720(2GB)

lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:07 am

OK going to come off harsh but despite effort just can't help it. Resist.... fingers typing by themselves, errr, cannot stop em, Errrr.

Please tell me your kidding ? Ah ha, got control of the suckers and deleted several paragraphs they'd written. Whew, that was close ! :)

Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:06 pm

Close call on that one!!!!

lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:13 pm

^ Lol.... Yep but nothing somebody holding my hand and giving me a cone wouldn't fix. Ummm with sprinkles please. ;)
Edit: Dang it, no offense truly meant Op. There are plenty of good install how to's all over this forum and no matter what, installing Mint is going to take some effort on your part.

You can do it. Doesn't require anyone reinventing the wheel, talking to you like you're five or etc. The icecream is strictly optional during the process.

Am shutting it now. :)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”