The future of MDM?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Post Reply
User avatar
RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 377
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:31 am
Location: Bulgaria

The future of MDM?

Post by RacerBG » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:57 am

As you may already know from here: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3235

MDM days probably are over BUT this was written before the Ubuntu announcement about the end of Unity. What is the problem you may ask? Well, from now on Ubuntu will use GDM instead of LightDM as it's main DM and so unity-greeter will be dead end too. According to the Mint's plans they will be using exactly that software. I'm not telling you that this decision is bad but right now is not the right choice. Also MDM works fine here...

I would like to know what are the current plans for the future DM of Mint?
Proud of Linux Mint!

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21
Posts: 13476
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: The future of MDM?

Post by Pjotr » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:48 am

Currently, LightDM is probably the best choice for the Mint 18 series. Because it's part of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, which is the codebase of Mint 18.x.

This may change with the Mint 19 series, because that'll be based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, which might have GDM.

I don't think MDM has a future; Clem was more or less the only developer left. Not counting devs which only occasionally commit to it.... https://github.com/linuxmint/mdm/graphs/contributors
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

User avatar
RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 377
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:31 am
Location: Bulgaria

Re: The future of MDM?

Post by RacerBG » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:56 am

Pjotr wrote:Currently, LightDM is probably the best choice for the Mint 18 series. Because it's part of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, which is the codebase of Mint 18.x.

This may change with the Mint 19 series, because that'll be based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, which will probably have GDM.

I don't think MDM has a future; Clem was more or less the only developer left. Not counting devs which only occasionally commit to it.... https://github.com/linuxmint/mdm/graphs/contributors
Yeah, I agree about LightDM if this the case but then what will happen to the greeter? In my opinion Lm should have it's own greeter, for example "mint-greeter" or something like that.
Proud of Linux Mint!

Monsta
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3027
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:46 am

Re: The future of MDM?

Post by Monsta » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:11 am

RacerBG wrote:In my opinion Lm should have it's own greeter, for example "mint-greeter" or something like that.
Already done: slick-greeter is a fork of unity-greeter without Unity-specific stuff. It's briefly mentioned a few times in the blog comments. I think the next monthly news might have more details.

User avatar
RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 377
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:31 am
Location: Bulgaria

Re: The future of MDM?

Post by RacerBG » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:30 am

Monsta wrote:
RacerBG wrote:In my opinion Lm should have it's own greeter, for example "mint-greeter" or something like that.
Already done: slick-greeter is a fork of unity-greeter without Unity-specific stuff. It's briefly mentioned a few times in the blog comments. I think the next monthly news might have more details.
Now that's a thing! :)

Thanks for the answers, guys!
Proud of Linux Mint!

Post Reply

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”