What standard programs do you NEVER use ?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: What standard programs do you NEVER use ?

Post by Schultz »

Thunderbird (I remove it; I don't use an email client)
Tomboy (remove it)
Transmission (remove it)
Hexchat (remove it)
VLC (remove it and replace with SMPlayer)
Brasero (remove it and replace with Xfburn)
Pidgin (remove it)
Mono, Orca, xplayer-mozilla, icedtea-8-plugin all get removed
tomliotta
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tomliotta »

Pjotr wrote:I don't use Thunderbird (I prefer Gmail) and Libre Office Base.
LibreOffice Base I understand (even though I'm in the forums today to try to learn why Base isn't part of my LM 17.3 Cinnamon and how best to get it in).

But "Thunderbird (I prefer Gmail)" isn't clear. There isn't a choice between the two because they aren't the same types of things. Thunderbird is a client, an interface that attaches to various types of e-mail services. GMail is a service, one that Thunderbird might attach to.

I use Thunderbird to attach to my GMail account as well as to a few other e-mail services concurrently (plus RSS feeds, numerous news groups and my various calendars). An IMAP connection to GMail provides a number of advantages over using web-mail for GMail. While I'm happy using Thunderbird, you might prefer a different client; and there are a number to choose from. Only thing I can guess is that you prefer using a browser (i.e., web-mail) to access your GMail account.

So, did you actually mean "Thunderbird (I prefer web-mail/browser)"? If not, can you clarify how you meant your preference?

I'm really just curious, not critical. As a long-time developer (not of e-mail clients), I'm curious about any preference for a browser interface.
Tom

Lenovo W520 ThinkPad,Core i7, 16GB, 250GB HDD (LM18 Cinnamon 64-bit)
and numerous others.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

tomliotta wrote:So, did you actually mean "Thunderbird (I prefer web-mail/browser)"?
Yes. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

I use Thunderbird, because to use emails via browser is too difficult ... yes .. I have plenty of email adresses. :roll:

PS.Also Gmail works fine via Thunderbird. :D
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

For encryption, it is easier and safer to use Evolution or Thunderbird than a browser.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

administrollaattori wrote:I use Thunderbird, because to use emails via browser is too difficult ... yes .. I have plenty of email adresses. :roll:

Interesting. I have many mail addresses too (all gmail), but I open them separately with the help of LastPass. My experience with Gmail, so far, is good. The last time I used an email manager was in the late '90s with MS Outlook...
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

xfrank wrote:
administrollaattori wrote:I use Thunderbird, because to use emails via browser is too difficult ... yes .. I have plenty of email adresses. :roll:

Interesting. I have many mail addresses too (all gmail), but I open them separately with the help of LastPass. My experience with Gmail, so far, is good. The last time I used an email manager was in the late '90s with MS Outlook...
You can also set up one dedicated Gmail address as a "catch them all" account: simply configure all the other Gmail addresses to forward a copy of all incoming mail to the dedicated "catcher" account. Saves time and trouble. :)

It's what I do, myself. Note that it's advisable to use another colour theme for the "catcher" account, because of course the "catcher" account shouldn't be used for sending mail. Using another colour theme helps you to remember that.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

HexChat / Thunderbird / Brasero
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Pjotr wrote: You can also set up one dedicated Gmail address as a "catch them all" account: simply configure all the other Gmail addresses to forward a copy of all incoming mail to the dedicated "catcher" account. Saves time and trouble. :)

It's what I do, myself. Note that it's advisable to use another colour theme for the "catcher" account, because of course the "catcher" account shouldn't be used for sending mail. Using another colour theme helps you to remember that.
I use Gmails only for security cameras and my personal and work emails are working via my own websites servers.

I do not like to share my own emails with Google. :lol:
linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux-dummie »

On 17.3 mate:

music player (prefer Deadbeef or Audacious, or even cli mplayer or mpg123, so old-school...)
Thunderbird (just because I'm used to Claws, t/bird probably works as well--just never learned it)
Tomboy (never saw a good purpose in it)
hexchat (don't chat at all---very anti-social, I know)
calculator (I use galculator)
mint backup (prefer luckybackup)
picture viewer (prefer gpicview or gthumb)
pluma (it's fine, but I'm too used to geany)
system monitor (why use anything but htop??)
probably a couple others I can't think of....
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Banshee (replace with Audacious)
Brasero (replace with Xfburn)
Gimp
Transmission
Pidgin (I just use Whatsie for Whatsapp chats)
KF5SDR

Post by KF5SDR »

I hardly ever use LibreOffice; I make all my documents either in plain text or TeX. I only use LibreOffice when I'm presented with a Microsoft Office document.
Vella

Post by Vella »

firefox (use opera)
thunderbird (use evolution)
banshee (use guayadque, audacious)
transmission (use qbitorrent)
pidgin (use skype, viber)
vlc (use smplayer)
brasero
I do use calculator and simplescan, when not using xsane sometimes...
Last edited by Vella on Sat May 06, 2017 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ComputerBorks

Post by ComputerBorks »

Libreoffice, Domain Blocker, and HexChat

(Linux Mint 18.1)
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

I don't use any of the chat programs, always preferred Forums as posts can be read and replied to in one's own time.

Neither do I use Transmission (or any Bit-Torrent client); have no need for them. I'd sooner get my ISOs directly from the servers.

Never used Thunderbird but did have every intention of doing so, until Mozilla made their decision to drop add-ons for Firefox, which I'm concerned may soon be the case for TB also.

One other, which I never use, is Tomboy Notes. Tried it once and it looks like you need a degree in computer science just to create a note .. can't see the point in such an overcomplicated note-taking program.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Xplayer or xplayer-mozilla

If that is removed does it stop taskbar hover previews?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Hmmm. I don't really use any of the default media apps. SMplayer for video, Audacious and Clementine for music. IMO Banshee is rubbish.

I always use Leafpad instead of any of the default simple text editors. It's one of the first things I'll install ... small, fast, no dependencies, works with big files.

Now that I've reinstalled Mint KDE in my laptop .... and I'm not switching this time ... I'm using the default app for reading pdfs. Never did on the other DE Mint versions. Okular is the only Linux pdf reader I've ever tried that isn't complete rubbish.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”