What standard programs do you NEVER use ?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
vladtepes
Level 3
Level 3

What standard programs do you NEVER use ?

Postby vladtepes » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:12 am

What programs which are part of your standard Linux Mint distro do you NEVER use?

That might be ones you replace with other (lighter) options or those that you just get rid of and never regret as you'd never use them, or they are still there but until you read this thread you didn't realise you hadn't used them at all.

Merely a topic for discussion, not a 'help' thread :D
Keep Calm
and
Impale Your Enemies

administrollaattori
Level 12
Level 12

Re: What standard programs do you NEVER use ?

Postby administrollaattori » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:29 am

Banshee, because I have used to use Audacious.

all41
Level 11
Level 11

Postby all41 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:29 am

Tomboy
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

jimallyn
Level 16
Level 16

Postby jimallyn » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:55 am

Well, let's see. Brasero is a CD burning application, isn't it? I never use it. One of the first things I do on a new install is install K3B. Don't think I have ever used Banshee. I never use Transmission. I tried it once and didn't care for it, so I use Qbittorrent. I never use the calculator application that Mint comes with. I can't stand so-called "algebraic" calculators, so I have installed GRPN. (And I don't use GRPN much these days, because now I have an HP41 CV emulator on my phone.) Never use Tomboy. I don't use Simple Scan; I like XSane better. I think that's about it.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Postby Cosmo. » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:51 am

vladtepes wrote:Merely a topic for discussion, not a 'help' thread :D

So is it. Should get moved to the proper chat board.

bodhi
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bodhi » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:09 am

I've been using Claws Mail as far back as when it was "Sylpheed-claws" so I don't use Thunderbird.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Pjotr
Level 19
Level 19

Postby Pjotr » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:18 am

I don't use Thunderbird (I prefer Gmail) and Libre Office Base.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Moem
Level 12
Level 12

Postby Moem » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:39 am

I don't use:
Firefox (I prefer SeaMonkey)
Thunderbird (I prefer SeaMonkey Mail)
Hexchat (I prefer Pidgin)
ImageMagick (I don't understand how it works and there are pleny of alternatives)
Brasero (I don't burn CDs)
Anything terminal-based

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

kc1di
Level 10
Level 10

Postby kc1di » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:47 am

Brasero I use xfburn instead.
I very seldom use FireFox , I use opera or Chrome instead.
I use Evince pdf reader instead of xreader - because evince seems to format most documents for correct printing.
I'm sure there are others also but those come to mind.
Perhaps you should start a survey with different choices that would be interesting to see.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Postby austin.texas » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:35 am

I always get rid of Firefox and Thunderbird, because I don't want frequent updates to programs that I don't use.
Then I get rid of some of the rare fonts, because I don't want them cluttering up the font choices. I just want to make that list shorter.

Code: Select all

apt-get -y --purge autoremove firefox  firefox-locale-en
apt-get -y --purge autoremove thunderbird  thunderbird-gnome-support
apt-get -y --purge autoremove fonts-beng fonts-beng-extra fonts-deva fonts-droid fonts-gubbi fonts-gujr fonts-gujr-extra fonts-guru fonts-guru-extra fonts-kacst fonts-kacst-one fonts-kalapi fonts-khmeros-core fonts-knda fonts-lao fonts-lklug-sinhala fonts-lohit-beng-assamese fonts-lohit-beng-bengali fonts-lohit-deva fonts-lohit-gujr fonts-lohit-guru fonts-lohit-knda fonts-lohit-mlym fonts-lohit-orya fonts-lohit-taml fonts-lohit-taml-classical fonts-lohit-telu fonts-nakula fonts-nanum fonts-navilu fonts-noto-unhinted fonts-orya-extra fonts-pagul fonts-sahadeva fonts-samyak-deva fonts-samyak-gujr fonts-samyak-mlym fonts-samyak-taml fonts-sarai fonts-smc fonts-sil-abyssinica fonts-sil-padauk fonts-takao-pgothic fonts-taml fonts-telu fonts-telu-extra fonts-thai-tlwg fonts-tibetan-machine fonts-tlwg-garuda fonts-tlwg-garuda-ttf fonts-tlwg-kinnari fonts-tlwg-kinnari-ttf fonts-tlwg-laksaman fonts-tlwg-laksaman-ttf fonts-tlwg-loma fonts-tlwg-loma-ttf fonts-tlwg-mono fonts-tlwg-mono-ttf fonts-tlwg-norasi fonts-tlwg-norasi-ttf fonts-tlwg-purisa fonts-tlwg-purisa-ttf fonts-tlwg-sawasdee fonts-tlwg-sawasdee-ttf fonts-tlwg-typewriter fonts-tlwg-typewriter-ttf fonts-tlwg-typist fonts-tlwg-typist-ttf fonts-tlwg-typo fonts-tlwg-typo-ttf fonts-tlwg-umpush fonts-tlwg-umpush-ttf fonts-tlwg-waree fonts-tlwg-waree-ttf fonts-wqy-microhei fonts-wqy-zenhei ttf-indic-fonts-core ttf-punjabi-fonts ttf-wqy-microhei

I am tempted, sometimes, to get rid of LibreOffice, but I might need it on rare occasions as a document reader if I get a Windows document. I create 90% of my documents in html format with Seamonkey Composer, and text documents with xed or leafpad.
I used to get rid of Tomboy, but that does not seem necessary anymore.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2017

xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Postby xfrank » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:41 am

Thunderbird, Hexchat, Pidgin (I don't chat, and for email and messages I use Gmail and Messenger).
Linux everywhere. Active Distros in my many computers: LM17.3 (Cinnamon, Xfce); LM18.1 (Cinnamon,Xfce); LMDE 2 (Mate), MXLinux (Xfce), Debian 9 (Xfce).

JerryF
Level 7
Level 7

Postby JerryF » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:01 am

Hexchat

EDIT: Thanks for reminding me Flemeur

Also pigin, tomboy.
Last edited by JerryF on Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't forget to edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject line if your problem has been fixed.
My main language is English. I speak very little Portuguese, and a whole lot of gibberish.

Flemur
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Flemur » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:00 am

- all graphics programs, except sometimes gimp.
- all audio programs
- PDF readers
- most fonts @austin.texas
thunderbird, brasero.
I'm not even sure what these do: tomboy, hexchat, pidgin
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Postby killer de bug » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:26 pm

Thunderbird, VLC, Totem, Brasero... The list is long. :mrgreen:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Citizen229 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:07 pm

this very tpoic is exactly why I use Pinguy to repack my installed OS into a bootable/installable iso. So when I reinstall I do not have to go through the software removal AGIAN!

http://pinguyos.com/2015/09/pinguy-builder-an-app-to-backupremix-buntu/
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
More GPU's needed!

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Postby austin.texas » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:11 pm

Citizen229 wrote:when I reinstall I do not have to go through the software removal AGIAN!

Which is why I wrote a script which does all the program installation and removal for me... :mrgreen:
(and a lot of other configuration, as well)
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2017

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Citizen229 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:13 pm

Noobs dont script bro! :D
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
More GPU's needed!

vladtepes
Level 3
Level 3

Postby vladtepes » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:17 pm

Citizen229 wrote:Noobs dont script bro! :D

True ! I can get in enough trouble without that !
Keep Calm
and
Impale Your Enemies

sphyrth
Level 4
Level 4

Postby sphyrth » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:39 pm

Brasero - Even in my 32-bit region, CDs are considered outdated already... especially when Windows is the only OS I know that needs an installer from CD/DVD.
Most items on the "Internet" tab of the Menu - Only my browse is there.

When it comes to video players, I just want one. But I'm still confused why we have three (Xplayer, VLC, and Rhythmbox)
I have a favorite game. It's on my Youtube Channel.

OunceofCommonSense
Level 2
Level 2

Postby OunceofCommonSense » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:11 pm

austin.texas wrote:I always get rid of Firefox and Thunderbird, because I don't want frequent updates to programs that I don't use.
Then I get rid of some of the rare fonts, because I don't want them cluttering up the font choices. I just want to make that list shorter.

Code: Select all

apt-get -y --purge autoremove firefox  firefox-locale-en
apt-get -y --purge autoremove thunderbird  thunderbird-gnome-support
apt-get -y --purge autoremove fonts-beng fonts-beng-extra fonts-deva fonts-droid fonts-gubbi fonts-gujr fonts-gujr-extra fonts-guru fonts-guru-extra fonts-kacst fonts-kacst-one fonts-kalapi fonts-khmeros-core fonts-knda fonts-lao fonts-lklug-sinhala fonts-lohit-beng-assamese fonts-lohit-beng-bengali fonts-lohit-deva fonts-lohit-gujr fonts-lohit-guru fonts-lohit-knda fonts-lohit-mlym fonts-lohit-orya fonts-lohit-taml fonts-lohit-taml-classical fonts-lohit-telu fonts-nakula fonts-nanum fonts-navilu fonts-noto-unhinted fonts-orya-extra fonts-pagul fonts-sahadeva fonts-samyak-deva fonts-samyak-gujr fonts-samyak-mlym fonts-samyak-taml fonts-sarai fonts-smc fonts-sil-abyssinica fonts-sil-padauk fonts-takao-pgothic fonts-taml fonts-telu fonts-telu-extra fonts-thai-tlwg fonts-tibetan-machine fonts-tlwg-garuda fonts-tlwg-garuda-ttf fonts-tlwg-kinnari fonts-tlwg-kinnari-ttf fonts-tlwg-laksaman fonts-tlwg-laksaman-ttf fonts-tlwg-loma fonts-tlwg-loma-ttf fonts-tlwg-mono fonts-tlwg-mono-ttf fonts-tlwg-norasi fonts-tlwg-norasi-ttf fonts-tlwg-purisa fonts-tlwg-purisa-ttf fonts-tlwg-sawasdee fonts-tlwg-sawasdee-ttf fonts-tlwg-typewriter fonts-tlwg-typewriter-ttf fonts-tlwg-typist fonts-tlwg-typist-ttf fonts-tlwg-typo fonts-tlwg-typo-ttf fonts-tlwg-umpush fonts-tlwg-umpush-ttf fonts-tlwg-waree fonts-tlwg-waree-ttf fonts-wqy-microhei fonts-wqy-zenhei ttf-indic-fonts-core ttf-punjabi-fonts ttf-wqy-microhei

I am tempted, sometimes, to get rid of LibreOffice, but I might need it on rare occasions as a document reader if I get a Windows document. I create 90% of my documents in html format with Seamonkey Composer, and text documents with xed or leafpad.
I used to get rid of Tomboy, but that does not seem necessary anymore.

Thanks for that command
MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Dual Boot -Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus with Cinnamon DE and Linux Mint 18.1 Serena Cinnamon

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”