Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

[SOLVED]Mint Box Mini Pro

Post by DeMus »

Hi all,

I was looking at the Mint Box Mini Pro and I have some questions about it:

Who has one and is it what you hoped it would be?
The PC costs $395 plus duty, shipping and tax. Any idea how much that is when it is shipped to The Netherlands? How much is added and is it still a competitive machine?
I'm never happy with paying in advance, especially not if I don't know the contact. Is ordering one on-line a wise decision, do I get the machine when I paid for it? If so, how long will it take?

Please, when you have bought one tell me how things went. I am seriously interested in getting one but I need to know some answers first.
Thank you all for helping me out.
Last edited by DeMus on Mon May 08, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Old Timer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint Box Mini Pro

Post by The Old Timer »

Form factors of that size in my experience tend to run very hot since they are passively cooled versus active cooling and being confined in such a small case doesn't allow for proper heat dissipation.

I would look for a desktop for that kind of money as I think it would go a longer distance than something the size of the "Mint Box Mini Pro.

Paying by credit card through PayPal from a reputable seller seems to be the standard these days and I haven't had any problems when doing purchases through PayPal from Ebay.

Read the customers reviews about their experiences.

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

I don't have one, but:

Is the 120GB solid state is enough for what you need? If not, you'll need an extra storage device (added cost).
Will the CPU handle what I need to do?
Do you need a CD/DVD reader/writer (another added cost).
You'll need a monitor (more added cost).

For that price, you probably could find a laptop with great specs for $100 to $200 more than the price of the Mint Box.

Just my humble opinion.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DeMus »

The Old Timer wrote:Form factors of that size in my experience tend to run very hot since they are passively cooled versus active cooling and being confined in such a small case doesn't allow for proper heat dissipation.
True, I read somewhere the internal temperature can be 50C, so yes, that's not cold. But, my wife (she will be using that computer) only uses it for webbrowsing and e-mail. So no hungry programs which use the CPU to its maximum.
The Old Timer wrote:I would look for a desktop for that kind of money as I think it would go a longer distance than something the size of the "Mint Box Mini Pro.
I have been looking for a desktop, in fact the whole afternoon already. Thing is, I have installed Mint 18.1 on the old computer, a Dell 530 with a quad core processor, and it was slow. The previous version, 17.3, was faster. She does not want to have something less than what she is used to so a desktop needs to have some power. I know I can do a lot with an SSD instead of a normal hard drive to boost speed, but it won't be enough when things are loaded from disk already.
The Old Timer wrote:Paying by credit card through PayPal from a reputable seller seems to be the standard these days and I haven't had any problems when doing purchases through PayPal from Ebay.
Read the customers reviews about their experiences.
I guess you are from the States where it is normal to use Paypal and pay by creditcard. Somehow I don't like Paypal (the fact that some company gets money when I pay somebody else strikes me as strange) so I try to not use it.
Well, we'll see what more answers and advice will come to this thread. Thank you The Old Timer for your help.

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DeMus »

JerryF wrote:I don't have one, but:

Is the 120GB solid state is enough for what you need? If not, you'll need an extra storage device (added cost).
Will the CPU handle what I need to do?
Do you need a CD/DVD reader/writer (another added cost).
You'll need a monitor (more added cost).

For that price, you probably could find a laptop with great specs for $100 to $200 more than the price of the Mint Box.

Just my humble opinion.
Thank you for answering.
An extra drive is not needed, we still have the one from the old computer. Same for mouse, keyboard and monitor. DVD player nowadays is a dying breed if you ask me. I don't know when I used one the last time.
A 120G SSD is more than enough to store the OS, a swap partition, and her home folder. All extra data she has can be stored in other places so she can get to them when she needs them, which is very rarely.

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

DeMus wrote:Thank you for answering...DVD player nowadays is a dying breed if you ask me. I don't know when I used one the last time.
Didn't know how the computer was going to be used. Yes, more and more computers don't come with DVD and it is a dying breed, but some people still use them for creating DVD for whatever reason. I wasn't sure I you were one of those people. :D
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

The Old Timer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by The Old Timer »

DeMus wrote: my wife (she will be using that computer) only uses it for webbrowsing and e-mail. So no hungry programs which use the CPU to its maximum.
I know a lot of people who use a tablet for doing email and web browsing so perhaps an alternative.
DeMus wrote:I guess you are from the States where it is normal to use Paypal and pay by creditcard. Somehow I don't like Paypal (the fact that some company gets money when I pay somebody else strikes me as strange) so I try to not use it.
Yes I'm in the States and unaware of how purchasing outside of the USA is done.

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

The MintBox has a weak processor. If I were you I would get a 5th or 6th generation Intel NUC with an i3 processor.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6856102093

Add 8GB of RAM for $50 and another $50 for a 120GB SSD. Right around $400 for everything and you have a much better processor and a better box in general.

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DeMus »

z31fanatic wrote:The MintBox has a weak processor. If I were you I would get a 5th or 6th generation Intel NUC with an i3 processor.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6856102093

Add 8GB of RAM for $50 and another $50 for a 120GB SSD. Right around $400 for everything and you have a much better processor and a better box in general.
Thanks for answering. I was looking at some NUC's here as well and I found one with indeed an i3 processor, 8GB of ram and an SSD. I guess I will go for that since I can just buy in here in The Netherlands at a webshop I have used several times before.
I was just looking at the Mintboxes so I would support Mint, but I guess I have to say sorry, it ain't gonna happen. At least not this way.
Thanks again z31fanatic.

wxboss
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED]Mint Box Mini Pro

Post by wxboss »

I hadn't heard of the Mint Box until I saw your post - it does look pretty intriguing.

However, I'm going to echo the comments of others who suggest less expensive options. For instance, I recently bought a used Dell Latitude 4310 off of Amazon for a little over $100 USD and Mint runs great on it.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from getting what you want (it is your money, after all. and you have to be satisfied with your purchase), yet since Mint doesn't need a whole lot of hardware to run well, there are less expensive options available.

That being said, if you do get a Mint Box you'll have to post some pics :) .
“The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected.” G. K. Chesterton

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”