I'm impressed with Linux Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
panjia
Level 1
Level 1

I'm impressed with Linux Mint

Post by panjia »

Hey all!

I had been using Windows for a long time, since Windows 98. I generally had good experience but once I had a fatal malware attack on my computer and it would freeze in under 10 minutes. I tried everything from Avast Antivirus to Malwarebytes and nothing was working. In the end, I did a fresh re-installation. It was a pain in the ass because I had to re-install everything, even the basic ones like PDF reader and internet browser (everyone knows that Internet Explorer is a disaster :lol: , so it needs Firefox or Google Chrome). It is something you don’t really need to do after fresh installation of Linux Mint, since a bunch of useful basic apps are already there.

I heard about Linux since I was in college (around 2008-09) and tried Ubuntu a couple of times but didn’t have a great time using it. I always dual-booted it on my computer and ended up going back to Windows.

I heard about Linux Mint about a year ago but just installed it a month ago. There was a big project I was working on and I thought migrating to Linux mid-way wasn’t really a good idea. But it had finally finished and I got the chance to try Linux Mint. I didn’t even bother to dual-boot it since I read many articles about how awesome it is.

I think Linux distributions in general have grown a lot since I tried Ubuntu last time. In Linux Mint, pretty much everything is ready and I have an awesome Software Manager here to browse to all the applications I need. All drivers are working properly out of the box, even the scroll-touch on my touch-pad is now working, which I failed to get it done in Windows 7. I found every alternative to the applications I used to have in Windows quite easily by just googling and a lot of them are cross-platform anyway, like VLC and Inkscape. I also successfully got Microsoft Office installed with PlayOnLinux, for just in case, since I have been using LibreOffice a lot now.

Now I’m very happy with Linux Mint and I don’t think I will ever go back to Windows again. I’d like to hear your experience as well and also your suggestions for a Linux newbie like me. :D

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: I'm impressed with Linux Mint

Post by richyrich »

Nice to hear ! :-)
Been using Mint since Mint 5. (yea, an old fart! :shock: ) lol . This website is created and maintained by one of our forum members and is a great resource that I like to share with everyone.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/Home

panjia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by panjia »

richyrich wrote:Nice to hear ! :-)
Been using Mint since Mint 5. (yea, an old fart! :shock: ) lol . This website is created and maintained by one of our forum members and is a great resource that I like to share with everyone.

Thanks! I'll look through the website. :D

The Old Timer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by The Old Timer »

richyrich wrote: Been using Mint since Mint 5. (yea, an old fart! :shock: ) lol . This website is created and maintained by one of our forum members and is a great resource that I like to share with everyone.

When I first started looking at Linux this was one of the first sites that explained the why and the how to of setting up a well working Linux distro.
Been using it since and recommend it to all I know who are new Linux users.

wxboss
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wxboss »

I agree. I installed Linux Mint a few weeks back (and also dabbled with other distros). I've found Mint to be the best not only as a crossover to Linux for those who are new to the platform, but as a great everyday OS.

There's a reason it's been #1 on Distrowatch for a while.
“The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected.” G. K. Chesterton

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

wxboss wrote:There's a reason it's been #1 on Distrowatch for a while.
First in 2011, and now every year since then. Was just looking at that the other day when telling somebody on Facebook why I would recommend for them to install Mint. Good stuff, Maynard!

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 »

HI panjia,
Welcome aboard

panjia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by panjia »

wxboss wrote: There's a reason it's been #1 on Distrowatch for a while.
jimallyn wrote:
wxboss wrote:There's a reason it's been #1 on Distrowatch for a while.
First in 2011, and now every year since then. Was just looking at that the other day when telling somebody on Facebook why I would recommend for them to install Mint. Good stuff, Maynard!
Yes, no wonder because it's awesome. I think Linux Mint has a great future ahead. I would recommend anyone who wants to try out Linux to install Linux Mint.
all41 wrote:HI panjia,
Welcome aboard
Thanks mate!

Oranges
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Oranges »

richyrich wrote:Nice to hear ! :-)

Thanks for posting that link, looks very useful, been intending to learn about Grub for a while now to help with having a multiboot system.
HP Pavilion Laptop, dual boot configuration.
Windows 8.1
Mint 18.1 Cinnamon

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”