Who have you referred to Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Vanilla Lumina
Level 1
Level 1

Who have you referred to Linux Mint?

Post by Vanilla Lumina »

Simple question, who (family, friends, online friends, and others) have you referred them to use Linux Mint as either a dual-boot or a singular OS?

I haven't referred anyone yet but I'm definitely going to soon since I really like Mint even though I have only used it for 2 days. ^^

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Who have you referred to Linux Mint?

Post by richyrich »

I find that it works better (for me at least) to let the curious ask me about it first.
For example:
Sitting at the coffee shop with my laptop, I let it go to xsceensaver while I converse with others, or get up to get a refill. You can't imagine the number of people who willingly start a conversation with me about the "fantastic" screensaver that they see. "Where can I get this for my win pc?" they ask . . Now, the door has been opened by them, and I am free to tell them about my virus (and anti-virus) free, free Operating System called Linux Mint . . the ball is rolling ! :-D

regards,
richy

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 »

richyrich wrote:I find that it works better (for me at least) to let the curious ask me about it first.
For example:
Sitting at the coffee shop with my laptop, I let it go to xsceensaver while I converse with others, or get up to get a refill. You can't imagine the number of people who willingly start a conversation with me about the "fantastic" screensaver that they see. "Where can I get this for my win pc?" they ask . . Now, the door has been opened by them, and I am free to tell them about my virus (and anti-virus) free, free Operating System called Linux Mint . . the ball is rolling ! :-D

regards,
richy
Yep. XFCE is the leader here.

ajgreeny
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ajgreeny »

Curiosity has got the better of me; what screensaver do you choose to use?

I moved my wife from Windows Vista a long time ago and put her machine to using Mint, but I have no idea which version as it's too long ago now.
She is now on Xubuntu rather than Mint, simply because that is what I use and so am more used to dealing with it, though it is a long time since I needed to setup anything on that machine for her as it all simply works, just as it did in Mint!

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

My partner. He's been using Windows 8.1 for a while and I am having him move to Linux Mint. It's for peace of mind after his desktop got encryption malware.

He's reluctant, only because the "look of the desktop" and "email line spacing" (he means white space around each row) isn't "right" according to him. I've made almost everything look like his Windows desktop, including the way-to-many desktop links he's got.

Whenever I'm there, I make him use Mint, because I'm the computer person in the family. :wink:
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean »

I have a couple of friends who are using it on secondary machines after I showed them Mint. Equally, I've had quite a few colleagues seem impressed with it but end up sticking with Windows (which they moan about) even though their use-case could be well covered by Linux.

I also had both my parents switched to Mint but I eventually put the on Mac OS, not because there was a problem with Mint but because their old machines were incredibly underpowered and a Mac Mini seemed like a good option. If MacOS becomes too much of a headache for them in future I will investigate replacing it with Mint.
Last edited by MintBean on Tue May 16, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Most people come to me because of my blog and my Linux shirts ;)
Last year I told 1 of my neighbors about Linux because she was still using XP, so let me install Linux Mint 17.3 Xfce, she is still happy with it
One of these days I'm going to install Linux Mint Xfce on my pedicures computer that is still running Vista. She has a laptop running Windows 7 and a hybrid netbook running windows 10.
She needs Win 7 for some special programs, the hybrid can also be used as tablet (keyboard can disconnected), I don't know if Linux works on that tablet, so we keep it with Windows 10
“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.” ― Cree Indian Prophecy

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

@ajgreeny , I run Mint's Xfce edition on all of my machines, and have installed all of the extras for xscreensaver (from Synaptic Package Manager). This should also be available for install on your wife's Xubuntu. :)

There are so many I really like, that it would be hard for me to choose even a few of them. I have an old old Nvidia graphics card, but it still runs the OpenGL and other 3D screensavers flawlessly . . they're all good ! :mrgreen:

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

Several friends, and a couple shirt-tail cousins.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

“The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.” — Ambassador Kosh

Still looking for a new job.

The Old Timer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by The Old Timer »

Everyone I know who wanted to migrate from Windows to Linux.

Linux Mint for any user new or experienced is easy to use and easy to learn and just plain works.

Excellent help available through the Linux Mint Forums if needed.

I have to agree with all41 Xfce rules.

ajgreeny
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ajgreeny »

richyrich wrote:@ajgreeny , I run Mint's Xfce edition on all of my machines, and have installed all of the extras for xscreensaver (from Synaptic Package Manager). This should also be available for install on your wife's Xubuntu. :)

There are so many I really like, that it would be hard for me to choose even a few of them. I have an old old Nvidia graphics card, but it still runs the OpenGL and other 3D screensavers flawlessly . . they're all good ! :mrgreen:
I already use xscreensaver in Xubuntu and generally use the gl-slideshow, changing the folder of images that it circles through; I merely wondered which screensaver was thought to be so fantastic of the many available.

Perhaps it's all of them!!

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

How many have I referred to Linux Mint (or any other Linux) over the years? Many, many, many. I am constantly singing the praises of Linux. How many of those people have actually changed over to Linux from Windows? Fifteen or twenty, maybe. On Friday this week (May 19) I am doing a presentation on Open Source software and Linux at the local Senior Center's computer club meeting. Hope to make a few more converts there!

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

coffee412
Level 6
Level 6

Post by coffee412 »

I just finished converting one of my long time clients over to linux Mint.

My client started with an HP tower and windows home premium. I have no idea to what is so premium about it. He had started using it for work and I had asked about his backups. He had an external drive but could not get windows to work with it. Well, WHP does not allow you to backup to external devices unless you do it manually. This is not something he can do. Pretty illiterate as per computers go.

So, I recommended the switch to linux Mint and took his tower and 'dual booted' it. His printer is a Brother MFC-J870DW and got that setup for him. Then did a first backup of all his files.

His comments on it so far (less than an hour of use) were "I like how clean it looks. Everything is very easy to find and it now makes sense".

I hooked up his wifes camera and copied the pics from it to the hard drive. She really liked that.

My client is very happy with it so far and before I could get back to the office he was working away - getting things done - not like windows where you first have to solved all the updates issues and stupid stuff.

Another converted soul has been saved from the evil M$ :)
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp 12.0.3 * Mint 18.3 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************

wxboss
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wxboss »

ajgreeny wrote:Curiosity has got the better of me; what screensaver do you choose to use?
18.1 (the only version I've used thus far) has a ton of screensavers. My personal favorite is Pac Man. Sometimes I watch that more than I use the computer :) .
“The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected.” G. K. Chesterton

GlennJohnson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GlennJohnson »

3 or 4 years ago I took an old computer from work, installed Mint on it and gave it to my son's sister-in-law. I installed the OS and made sure that everything was working, all hardware, internet access, proper display, etc. Then I gave the computer to my son to pass on to her. Not once has this teenage girl asked for help. As far as I know she is still using it.

Unfortunately, she is the only one that I've introduced to Linux. Generally, when I mention Linux to an adult they look at me like I have three heads.

Other than that one semi interactive instance, I have built a few computers, installed Linux and donated them to local charities.
Glenn
The Bassinator
© ®

vladtepes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by vladtepes »

Hi,

Interesting question.

The answer would be none.

I spend most of my time trying to justify why spending $ on an Operating System that isn't as user-friendly as it claims to be, is the best option for everyone. Oh, and of course how world commerce would collapse if businesses moved away from Windows.

Sincerely,

Bill.
Keep Calm
and
Impale Your Enemies

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

I did my Open Source and Linux presentation to the local Senior Center Computer Club today. About 20 people showed up. A lot of good questions were asked (and answered to their apparent satisfaction). One woman in particular asked enough questions that I'd bet money she's going to try it soon. Also, the club has a computer with Win10 on it, and one member suggested we should put Linux on the club's computer, too (I had explained dual booting to them). And a lot of others chimed in with "yeah, that's a great idea" or similar comments. So, I may have made a few converts today. I think I will polish up my presentation a bit then see if I can do it at my church and at the local ham club. (The church already has a couple of old laptops running Linux, and the pastor uses Linux at home.)

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

The Old Timer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by The Old Timer »

At the small Church I attend they were still using Windows XP computers.

I convinced them to give Linux Mint 18 a try and they found it to work very well.
Installed Linux Mint 18 Xfce without any problems and also all printers were found and everything is doing great. :D

Cost of upgrading six desktop computers was under $130.00 for the cost of name brand DDR2 Memory found on Ebay.

Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

I converted someone! Beyond immediate family, I have never done this before!

Not to go into too much detail, got into a discussion with a bloke in my office who was fed up with W10. He was asking me about it and I had to own up and say I hadn't used Windows since W7 in 2009, so I couldn't really offer any help. He's shocked at this and assumes I'm a Mac fan. Nope!

Long story short I gave him two discs - one Mint Cinnamon 18.1 and the other KDE Neon. He loved both and now has one on a laptop and one on a desktop. I didn't even have to provide technical support!

In all honesty I worry about recommending Linux because as you know, people's mileage varies so much. Nothing worse than some angry person coming back to you and blaming you for destroying their life. This guy though was really open to it and despite even accidentally wiping out his Windows install he didn't care as he absolutely hated it.

Jim Hauser
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jim Hauser »

richyrich wrote:I find that it works better (for me at least) to let the curious ask me about it first.
For example:

regards,
richy
This seems like a good approach! I do not have a laptop but like to post screenshots on social media (along with brief descriptions and links to Linux Mint.) I also share any Mint news that comes my way. For folks that visit me I keep the computer on my imaging activity. The main screen (1920 X 1080) rotates a couple thousand images at 1 minute intervals. The second screen (1280 X 1024) shows all activity icons and conky. Most folks are impressed enough to ask questions. The first question is almost always "Is that Windows?" So I take them to the Virtual Box activity and load XP.

The second and third questions: "How much did (Mint) cost you" and "Can I run (Mint) on my machine?" I explain how a live DVD works and burn a copy or two for them to try.

I do not know how many converts (if any) that I can take credit for. Linux Mint on a well running machine sells itself!

Cheers!

Jim

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”