Mystery Browser behavour.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
caz
Level 4
Level 4

Mystery Browser behavour.

Post by caz »

Just thought I would mention this as it might be of help to others who come across the same problem.

I was trying to book a flight with a budget airline here in the UK, it was the same day as the ransom ware attack on the NHS and other companies across the world, so I thought that my inability to finish booking the flight might be something to do with the attack, and that the airline's website was having problems due to the attack. Over the next couple of days I tried to book the ticket again and kept getting the same problem, about half way through the process the website would stop responding and all I got was a rotating symbol, I guess the website was trying to move onto the next page but couldn't.

This soon became pretty frustrating. I tried refreshing the page, logging out and logging in but nothing would make the website move on from the page where it kept stopping at.

I have no real idea why I tried the next thing but it did work and I was able to finally complete the booking. I have two extensions for my Firefox browser, HTTPS Everywhere and Privacy Badger, when I disabled both of these the airline's website moved on from the page it had previously halted at.

So that was the answer. I have no idea why these extensions would cause the problem, maybe others here at the forum do?

Just for the record I'm running Mint Mate 18.1 with Firefox 53.02
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Some stuff I made using FOSS http://caz747.deviantart.com/
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mystery Browser behavour.

Post by Dngrsone »

It probably has something to do with cookies being disabled or something... I get the same problem with various websites that require secure logins. My Firefox has two ad-blockers and some tracking turned off. For those sites, I usually boot up into Windows and do things from there.
Try politeness; people will like you for it.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Captive Portals Gotta love 'em. :wink:
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Dngrsone wrote:It probably has something to do with cookies being disabled or something... I get the same problem with various websites that require secure logins. My Firefox has two ad-blockers and some tracking turned off. For those sites, I usually boot up into Windows and do things from there.

I just use different browsers within Mint. Right now I use Firefox as a daily browser, but if I run into problems with a particular website I switch over to Opera or Chromium. Either way, it just works fine for getting into tricky websites.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Rocky Bennett wrote:
Dngrsone wrote:It probably has something to do with cookies being disabled or something... I get the same problem with various websites that require secure logins. My Firefox has two ad-blockers and some tracking turned off. For those sites, I usually boot up into Windows and do things from there.

I just use different browsers within Mint. Right now I use Firefox as a daily browser, but if I run into problems with a particular website I switch over to Opera or Chromium. Either way, it just works fine for getting into tricky websites.
Ditto!
I haz a spare :mrgreen:
caz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by caz »

Cheers for the advice Guys, I will install a spare browser in case I get the same problem again.
Some stuff I made using FOSS http://caz747.deviantart.com/
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi caz...https everywhere enforces https whereas it may be possible that the airline your trying to book on MAY be only http accessable which of course would not be wise on their part...more likely though especially if your like me with privacy badger, you may have probably tweaked some of the tracking slides manually rather than wait for it to decide if your being tracked or even more probably the airline does do some actual tracking for its on demographics purposes triggering privacy badger itself to block tracking automatically...the privacy badger does have a "did privacy badger break this site" reporting mechanism on its drop down bar but you could also just slide the offending slider to the middle "yellow" indication which will only allow the tracking/cookie for just the session duration...by the way...greetings from Alamogordo,NM...im a trasplant from Boston lol...DAMIEN
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

caz wrote:Cheers for the advice Guys, I will install a spare browser in case I get the same problem again.
You're very welcome.
Anything Firefox barks about, I fire up in Google Chrome personally.
It's one or the other here. Seems to work great.

Just sayin'
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

It's always a good idea to have at least one other browser so that if one 'breaks' and you need to download something for the fix, you've got another browser to do it.
shengchieh

Post by shengchieh »

Advice: If you suspect their machines are infested, do NOT enter your CC. Call them instead. If you already did, check your credit on annualcreditreport.com .

Sheng-Chieh

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”