Distro hopping

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Arch_Enemy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Distro hopping

Postby Arch_Enemy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:02 pm

MintBean wrote:I've hopped around a few distros over the years.

Started with Ubuntu for a couple of years then went back to Windows for the games. This was around a decade ago and there were hardly any commercial games on Linux.
Didn't return to Linux for quite a while, eventually dual booting with Mint around 3 years ago. Would have been back sooner but couldn't get anything to install on my laptop in the intervening years; or at least not with WiFi.
Soon dropped Windows and I've tried Antergos, Manjaro, MX-16, Solus, Bodhi, Deepin, Zorin and Elementary. For me, only Antergos and Manjaro were anywhere close to Mint but a part of that is probably down to the Cinnamon desktop which just does things the way I like. In the end I decided Antergos and Manjaro would only ever be something to play with for me as whilst I liked the more up-to-date software and packages, I never felt confident enough that the rolling releases wouldn't be corrupted after and update to leave Mint behind.

I'm done with the hopping for now, at least until the next shiny thing comes along.....

I try all the shiny things. I have a box of hard drives (or, I did...) and another box of USB sticks, so I load 'em on a USB and try them. If I like it I put it on a disk and play with it till it breaks.

Mint don't break. At least not what I've done with it so far. Did have issues with 18 nit working the way I like on a couple things, but I have 2 17.3 installs, one for work and one for media and (knock knock) still intact. :)

Someone suggested Mint go Rolling Release.

WHY?!?!?! :cry:
$0.02+a grain of salt...

MintBean
Level 7
Level 7

Postby MintBean » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:26 pm

Arch_Enemy wrote:Someone suggested Mint go Rolling Release.

WHY?!?!?! :cry:
EXACTLY! There would be zero point as other distros like Manjaro have this covered.

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Citizen229 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:14 pm

I like the idea of rolling release. But when the dev teams do not limit the update function, its pointless. There has to be a happy medium between rolling release and LTS.
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
More GPU's needed!

Arch_Enemy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Arch_Enemy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:19 am

Citizen229 wrote:I like the idea of rolling release. But when the dev teams do not limit the update function, its pointless. There has to be a happy medium between rolling release and LTS.

I had some issues with Mint 18.1. Minor, but enough to be a nuisance. If Mint were a rolling release I would have probably inherited these inefficiencies by now. I'll leave it at 17.3 for as long as I can.
If it were Arch I'd be reloading by now...
$0.02+a grain of salt...

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Postby samriggs » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:39 am

LMDE is mints rolling release
smaller community but a good release if you like rolling releases, I used to use it for quite awhile but I need the fresh shiny stuff, hence manjaro, plus I love arch based and debian so I use both.
I love rolling releases and try to use them more then the other, mainly because it takes me a long time to reinstall and set up my system the way I want it.
Plus I'll be honest I hate doing reinstalls to upgrade with a fresh upgrade (which I prefer in non-rolling releases)
If debian was more up to date I would use LMDE again

So for folks like me, rolling releases make sense, more then doing reinstalls, AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T CONSTANTLY BREAK :lol:
But I'm used to the odd breakage, and finding fixes to repair it, unless it's real horrible breakage.
Less stable but if no breakages, then less headaches in the long run.

All my family members do not get rolling releases though, they get mint ubuntu base to save me time from breakages and there reinstalls dont take long at all.
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

rick gen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rick gen » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:09 pm

Well, rolling releases don't even make sense to me. Mint 18.x, for example, will be supported until 2021. That's four long years.
I certainly will be able to find at least a day to reinstall a newer release within that period if I want to. No real big deal.
I think they're more about developers trying to save time, like the massive preparation involved in releasing new ISO's on a regular basis.
It's not necessarily for users.

KBD47
Level 6
Level 6

Postby KBD47 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:36 pm

rick gen wrote:Well, rolling releases don't even make sense to me. Mint 18.x, for example, will be supported until 2021. That's four long years.
I certainly will be able to find at least a day to reinstall a newer release within that period if I want to. No real big deal.
I think they're more about developers trying to save time, like the massive preparation involved in releasing new ISO's on a regular basis.
It's not necessarily for users.

I was thrilled when I heard years ago that Ubuntu/Mint was going to 5 years LTS support. When I was distro-hopping I noticed those in-between releases would break things. I tried Debian Sid--which is basically rolling release--and unless you always want to be fixing something, which I don't, the non-moving-target releases vastly appeal to me. Only if I had brand new hardware needing a new kernel would I go with a more cutting edge release like Fedora or Debian Sid. I don't like updating all the time either. Ubuntu's LTS updates are more than quick enough for me. At this point I just want things to work and keep working.

rick gen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rick gen » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:37 am

KBD47 wrote:I was thrilled when I heard years ago that Ubuntu/Mint was going to 5 years LTS support. When I was distro-hopping I noticed those in-between releases would break things. I tried Debian Sid--which is basically rolling release--and unless you always want to be fixing something, which I don't, the non-moving-target releases vastly appeal to me. Only if I had brand new hardware needing a new kernel would I go with a more cutting edge release like Fedora or Debian Sid. I don't like updating all the time either. Ubuntu's LTS updates are more than quick enough for me. At this point I just want things to work and keep working.

Well, even the most widely-used Windows break. Windows 95, XP, Win 7 didn't reach stability until many service packs later.

balayya
Level 1
Level 1

Postby balayya » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:52 am

rick gen wrote:
KBD47 wrote:I was thrilled when I heard years ago that Ubuntu/Mint was going to 5 years LTS support. When I was distro-hopping I noticed those in-between releases would break things. I tried Debian Sid--which is basically rolling release--and unless you always want to be fixing something, which I don't, the non-moving-target releases vastly appeal to me. Only if I had brand new hardware needing a new kernel would I go with a more cutting edge release like Fedora or Debian Sid. I don't like updating all the time either. Ubuntu's LTS updates are more than quick enough for me. At this point I just want things to work and keep working.

Well, even the most widely-used Windows break. Windows 95, XP, Win 7 didn't reach stability until many service packs later.

i think MS releases beta software and then fixes things later in the name of service packs :P
Linux Mint 18.1 AMD FX

Hoser Rob
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Hoser Rob » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:50 am

samriggs wrote:LMDE is mints rolling release...

LMDE 2 is based on Jessie stable, which is hardly a rolling release. Debian doesn't do rolling releases really anyway. The reason that it doesn't get periodic point upgrades is that isn't how Debian does their stable release. They don't put out a new one until it's a major update and it's ready.

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Postby samriggs » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:40 pm

Hoser Rob wrote:
samriggs wrote:LMDE is mints rolling release...

LMDE 2 is based on Jessie stable, which is hardly a rolling release. Debian doesn't do rolling releases really anyway. The reason that it doesn't get periodic point upgrades is that isn't how Debian does their stable release. They don't put out a new one until it's a major update and it's ready.

Not technically no, but you can just point to the next repository when debian upgrades to a newer version of stable without having to resintall from scratch, just use dist-upgrade, so if you want to get totally technical about it

from zerozero who used to run the part of lmde before moving over to solydxk
it's finally documented in the fact that not one rolling release has or recommend any form of partial upgrade (and although lmde can't technical be called a rolling release, these UP updates act like it)
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

dcrowder
Level 2
Level 2

Postby dcrowder » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:37 pm

Portreve wrote:... in my experience, Debian and Debian-based distros are MUCH better behaved in this regard.

I absolutely agree.

KBD47 wrote:I think distro hopping is educational for those new to Linux. I learned a lot by doing so for my first few years using Linux. In many cases you eventually you settle down to one or two distros you feel most comfortable with. For me that has been Debian and Debian-based distros which I consider Ubuntu-Mint.

Playing around with distros is great for noobs and experienced users alike. I love firing up new distros. I find interesting things, but most disappoint me and I realize how good Debian base is and Mint in particular. I have a couple spare machines to play with and VM's... so I keep my main machine on Mint.
Acer Aspire R14, Mint 18.2 Cinnamon

Arch_Enemy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Arch_Enemy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:41 pm

I got the latest copy of PCLinuxOS to play with. It used to be my every day, it was stable and worked well.
It still is a good package, fairly well put together and still apparently stable. But it has totally abandoned some old favourites, and in some cases there's no way to get them to work. Texstar has always been tight fisted with what's allowed and while it makes a more stable OS, sometimes things get kicked to the curb. It is also even easier than Mint to make a Live ISO of your installation, so you can take a "snapshot", put it on a DVD or USB stick, and if something goes kablooey you can reinstall to that point. You can do this with Mint 17.x by running about a dozen commands, but 18.x didn't work as well.

You can use the dd command on just about any Linux install, but it ain't easy. Trying to do this with Arch is a lesson in futility.
$0.02+a grain of salt...

Hoser Rob
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Hoser Rob » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:46 pm

KBD47 wrote:... I was thrilled when I heard years ago that Ubuntu/Mint was going to 5 years LTS support.

Actually that 5 year cycle only applies to some Ubuntu DE versions ... just Unity (soon to be Gnome 3) and KDE as I remember. I like Xfce myself and the 5 year LTS cycle with Mint Xfce is one of the big reasons I use Mint.

Only if I had brand new hardware needing a new kernel would I go with a more cutting edge release like Fedora or Debian Sid. I don't like updating all the time either. Ubuntu's LTS updates are more than quick enough for me. At this point I just want things to work and keep working.

That's pretty much the way it is for me, and it also applies to poorly supported hardware. Though it's often for more than just the kernel, which is why just doing kernel updates doesn't necessarily work. The weird thing is, though, I updated my kernel in 17.3 to 4.4 because the 3.19 kernel went EOL, for security. of course. I rather expected the Broadcom wireless to break. It didn't. Much to my surprise it seems to work better ... I was damn lucky there.

I actually don't have any problem with messing around with this distro hopping stuff as long as you have a computer you don't really need. But the first thing I look at is the support forum. If it looks useless then the distro is too.

KBD47
Level 6
Level 6

Postby KBD47 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:11 pm

I believe Xubuntu will still get the Ubuntu security updates for 5 years though official support is only 3 years. Good for Mint offering 5 years on all their Buntu based versions.

Hoser Rob
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Hoser Rob » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:03 am

Actually another thing is that I'm not so sure all these distros are all that different ... they're based on debian or red hat or arch etc really. I'd narrow it down to the better supported distros for each packaging system.

Arch_Enemy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Arch_Enemy » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:50 pm

Hoser Rob wrote:Actually another thing is that I'm not so sure all these distros are all that different ... they're based on debian or red hat or arch etc really. I'd narrow it down to the better supported distros for each packaging system.

Well, my favourites are Arch, Mint, and PCLinuxOS. They all work well, but the problem is each one has features different from the others. Arch is highly scalable, Mint is highly stable, and PCLOS has one of the best control panels out there.
$0.02+a grain of salt...

sbroccolo
Level 2
Level 2

Postby sbroccolo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:57 pm

Not sure if you call it "distro hopping" because I never actually leave my main - Linux Mint Cinnamon.
I constantly like to try new distros, I install them in VirtualBox first. If I really like one I'll install it in one of the 60gb partitions that I keep around for that purpose. Sometimes I just like to play around in something different. I also like to be aware of what is out there so that I can recommend to family and friends. I travel around a bit and have installed various versions on laptops and desktops for them to get their feet wet in the Linux world.
Zoran OS- has a lot of limitations but kind of hard to mess up. I've installed it for a teenager on an old desktop with a bunch of games.
Pearl OS - now that Pear and Apricity are gone this is the best OSX lookalike out there. I like to jump over to it now and again. It is, to me, the absolutely gorgeous and fun to use.
Kali Linux - NOT for noobs. I use this to show skeptics why it is important to take home network security seriously.
Linux Lite and Puppy Linux - I've installed these on ancient laptops. A great way to make an old machine surf the net, read emails and hangout on Facebook.
Antergos - tried it, not anything there that makes me want to use it regularly. I believe it is tailor made for the European community.
Tails OS - Ok, this one is just scary. For the truly paranoid.
All the various flavors of Ubuntu and Linux Mint - All stable, comes down to personal preference.
Knoppix - I always have a live DVD and USB of this one on me. It is my go to for trying to rescue a hard drive. There's nothing there that any other live Linux can't do, but if you try to mount a "bad" drive, it will pop up a mount command to try.
It has worked for me to recover files on 3 different occasions.
Gmac - another beautiful OSX lookalike, but the Brazilian developer hasn't done anything with it in over a year and there are places where it is difficult to remove the Portuguese default setting.
There are others I've tried and many more left to try out. This was just my 2 cents worth.

Arch_Enemy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Arch_Enemy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:05 am

Arch_Enemy wrote:I had some issues with Mint 18.1. Minor, but enough to be a nuisance. If Mint were a rolling release I would have probably inherited these inefficiencies by now. I'll leave it at 17.3 for as long as I can.
If it were Arch I'd be reloading by now...

I spoke too soon...

In an effort to make an ISO I could use to reinstall in the event of a catastrophe, I found I was missing some dependencies. I installed them and we got rolling. Got up to the last step to build an ISO, it barfed at the last step. Installed that dependency, and all of a sudden Update does it's usual runaway train and updates EVERYTHING (it does that frequently in Arch...) It then said "Be sure to run makeinitcpio -r but when I tried my terminals weren't working. Any of them. I backed out and tried to log in from a command line and it would drop me out. Fearing the worst I did a reboot...

Yet another bricked Arch install (actually, Manjaro. I can even brick stable releases.) Reinstalled and had a number of issues, so far unresolvable. I purposely did NOT to any updates to avoid just such a situation...

Hence, my user name. Good thing I like to play with Operating Systems... :twisted:
$0.02+a grain of salt...

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Lucap » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:47 am

Can both Arch and Manjaro be converted to an ISO or is it Manjaro only?

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”