Mint 18.2 upgrade went super well

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint 18.2 upgrade went super well

Post by MurphCID »

I am seeing the 4.10 Kernel in the latest updates. Seems to work ok.
bobstead
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bobstead »

Hi
Overall upgrade to MInt 18.2 went seamlessly. I then upgraded kernel to 4.10 & experienced screen tearing & bizarre effects such as tabbed browser windows constantly cycling around & google calender refusing to stay on date i.e. jumping between months/years. Tried a few poss fixes, but when I removed 4.10 & returned to 4.8 everything reverted to normal.
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

That's why I am staying put with the initial kernel. No point messing about, waste of time.
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

riki wrote:That's why I am staying put with the initial kernel. No point messing about, waste of time.
Well, I now keep updating to the latest kernel, currently 4.10.0-32, and everything runs fine.
OS_Researcher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OS_Researcher »

riki wrote:
WharfRat wrote:I didn't notice any difference from 18.1 - so I would say the boot times were the same as far as I can tell.
Please, what were the boot times?
Six core Intel chip "Startup finished in 4.307s (kernel) + 10.744s (userspace) = 15.052s".
ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ColdBootII »

riki wrote:
MurphCID wrote:Is that the information that you wanted?
Thanks but no, I am trying to find out if other people can boot quicker than me and reasons for it.
Oh, yes :mrgreen:

Reasons: slowest SSD drive on sale, new microcode update, still on 3.2.7 Cinnamon, saw few reasons that justify upgrade to the latest version... ;)
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

System is dead. The laptop was on the desk, and when Harvey hit, the rain was forced through the cracks in the window due to the 60+ mph wind, and water got into the laptop and killed it. I am so bummed, I now have no linux system at all. I really liked that little laptop. Hopefully I can get it fixed at Best Buy.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Sorry to hear that, Murph.
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Got out the old laptop that my wife had an old HP G62-355dx and I have had a hard time getting Mint 18.2 cinnamon 64 bit up and running. It is like it partially installed, and now I had to use apt-get update to install the rest of the system. The system repository only showed 14 package instead of 30, and nothing wanted to install via graphical interface. I had to use terminal to get stuff like VLC installed. The wifi keeps dropping, and it is odd. But I think it is working now. At least it seems to be. Wifi takes extra long to connect with the wifi signal. But at least I have a linux machine again.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”