Cinnamon Crashes Since Upgrade to 18.2

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Penn

Re: Cinnamon Crashes Since Upgrade to 18.2

Post by Penn »

I experienced a few other issues right after my last post so I wiped the partition and did a clean install. Apparently my issue is different that most other's because the crashes kept happening.

Tried removing desklets and tested each applet, including default, multiple themes and undoing all settings I change from default. Still crashing. I wouldn't mind suggestions where to go from here but my current plan is just remove panels and use Cairo-Dock. I don't use that machine much but instead of just going back to 18.1 I might give Debian Stretch another try. The only truly Mint thing I can think of that I really like to a point of not wanting to give up is the Update Manager. I'll see if Stretch has something that will work with Cinnamon 3.2, even if it doesn't have full functionality of mintupdate.

Any suggestions before I go back to distro hopping? Of course, my primary distro will remain LMDE 2 for now but if I get stretch going to my liking I might not wait until next year for 3.
sf2k
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sf2k »

I'm getting cinnamon crashes two to five times a day now. I had never had any problem with this before nor ever experienced anything like this with years of Linux Mint use. 18.2 from day one has not been fun.

Is there a way to keep it in fallback mode so I can just use that? Any recommended window manager replacements? Seems to be a lot of tweaks but no definitive solution. :'( I just want a stable window manager.
drummer315

Post by drummer315 »

Well this is several months later (November 2017) and I am experiencing these same crashes with 18.2.

I did a fresh install from a new flash drive.

This is my office/work desktop. so I am not excited about being involved in LT troubleshooting.

I just need my system to work - consistently.

Currently - that is NOT what is happening and I am not a happy camper.
It has crashed 5 times in 3 days including twice while I was working in a VM running Win 10.
There is not an easily discernible pattern, but I do need a solution ASAP.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

I had Cin crashing in 17.3. Installed XFCE and never looked back.
Benlm136
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Benlm136 »

I have a laptop running AMD Athlon X2 64 with an NVIDIA 8200M G video card. I downloaded Mint 18.3 Cinnamon and did a clean install on there. With the default open source video drivers the screen flickers a lot, and every time on startup you get that message about Cinnamon having crashed and reverting back to fallback mode. Tried both proprietary AMD drivers, same result. I had an 18.1 64 bit CD and did a clean re install with that. No crash, solid as a rock... so yes, others are seeing it as well, and it is not an upgrade issue or something on your system. Any info about a fix or workaround would be appreciated, since I tend to always update to the latest. (FYI: That machine had Windows 10 on it but then ran into the Windows 10 AMD CPU fix it froze on recall, kept installing the same KB, Microsoft fix said it was not applicable to the system, sigh).
Benlm136
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Benlm136 »

Incidentally, with Cinnamon Linux Mint 18.1, I also had issues with the desktop sometimes freezing up. Applications would work fine, but you cant get the Start button to do anything or unminimize any application once minimized. Basically the task bar became totally unresponsive. So I installed Mint 18.3 Xfce. And voila, no issues so far, seems nice and stable and responsive. I love cinnamon, but I guess it is going through an unstable period. The screen flicker seen with cinnamon in 18.1 and 18.3 with the default open source and proprietary drivers do not manifest in Xfce, and that is with the default display drive set by the install (this with NVIDIA 8200M G, oldish laptop). So I guess Xfce has its place, thank you for that! I do have Cinnamon 18.3 running on a few other new high power machines, no issues there that I have noticed.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”