Cinnamon Crashes Since Upgrade to 18.2

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
felemur
Level 5
Level 5
Location: In the middle of 1000's of acres of corn & soy fields in a house full of cats.

Cinnamon Crashes Since Upgrade to 18.2

Post by felemur »

About 3 or 4 times since the upgrade to 18.2, I get this: "Cinnamon just crashed. You are currently running in Fallback Mode. Do you want to restart Cinnamon?" I click "yes" and it restarts and all is well - no big deal at all. Is this something I should report somewhere, or let it go.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Spacecadet
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Cinnamon Crashes Since Upgrade to 18.2

Post by Spacecadet »

I am having the same thing happening after the same upgrade to 18.2.
felemur
Level 5
Level 5
Location: In the middle of 1000's of acres of corn & soy fields in a house full of cats.

Post by felemur »

I guess since at least 2 of us are having that, many more probably are and they are aware of it in the Linux Mint Corporate Headquarters.

PS - welcome to the forum.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

This board is far away from being the right place for support question. So only in short: Did you try to create a new user account?
felemur
Level 5
Level 5

Post by felemur »

Cosmo, not sure if your comment is referring to me or Spacecadet, but if me, I wasn't asking for support, just wondering out loud if this should be reported as a bug - that's why I posted in the Linux chat section.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I addressed it to both of you. (In case of Spacecadet I do not have the impression, that (s)he wants to discuss the question about reporting.)

If you think, that this needs to get reported: I don't want to influence your decision. But if I read such a complaint, the first idea in my head is: Is it a bug or a specific problem on that system? At least I suggest to create at first a fresh new user account and try to find out, if the problem can get reproduced. In case that the problem should be caused by the account, no developer will be able to reproduce it and to find the culprit.

I also remember, that xenopeek had written in such cases in the past, that it is a good idea, to discuss this here at first (and therefor the support boards would surely be more suitable) to find out, if there is not possibly a specific problem.
felemur
Level 5
Level 5

Post by felemur »

OK, well all I was asking is if people who know more than me about the inner workings of Linux think I should report this - I want to be of help if I can to the developers, but I also don't want to waste people's time with trivial issues.

You did not read a complaint. In my first post on this I described what was happening as briefly as I could, and then asked, "Is this something I should report somewhere, or let it go."
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

OK, well all I was asking is if people who know more than me about the inner workings of Linux think I should report this - I want to be of help if I can to the developers, but I also don't want to waste people's time with trivial issues.
You didn't provide enough info to answer this question. Cosmo asked you to do a simple test that would help to troubleshoot the problem and determine that.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

felemur:
Personally, I don't see what the big deal is about your having posted this question here. "Hey, after doing X, I'm experiencing foo. Is anyone else experiencing it, too?" seems a perfectly reasonable question to pose here.

Moreover, it would make sense for others to offer advice, so... not seeing a reason for the attitude of others here.

Anyhow, felemur, my first question back to you is: did you do an upgrade install, or a fresh install, of 18.2?

Personally, I never do upgrade installs, and so my fresh install of LM 18.2 does not exhibit the behavior you're describing.

However, as you can see, we may be, in fact, comparing apples and oranges here, so more detail on your end is required.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
rkonrad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rkonrad »

My system crashes every day, with the same message. My taskbar is also not responsive to the mouse so the only way to retrieve minimized items is the "alt-tab".

I would be happy to give hardware details if the development team think that is helpful.

Cheers

RIchard
idle

Post by idle »

Having the exact same issue here. I upgraded last night, everything went perfectly and I didn't install LightDM only upgraded. Today I woke up to the Cinnamon Crashed message and clicked yes. Just now its happened again, so that's twice in the space of a few hours.

Would be nice of there was some information as to why this is happening and how to fix it ...
Penn

Post by Penn »

JosephM wrote:
You didn't provide enough info to answer this question. Cosmo asked you to do a simple test that would help to troubleshoot the problem and determine that.
My primary machine is LMDE but I have a machine I upgraded to 18.2 from 18.1. I don't use it much but am experiencing the same issue.

This morning I created a new user account. Off and on through the day I did some bursts of putting settings in place. A little while ago I did my longest amount of time directly using the machine in the new user account and it crashed, which was about 40 minutes of constant usage. The crashes have been inconsistent in every way, at least for the old account. Maybe just listening to music, watching a movie or transferring files (sorry, I don't use if for much more so I don't know other activities are happening when it occurs).

Exactly what happens when Cinnamon crashes is also inconsistent. Sometimes the panels and background disappear and reappear in a manner similar to using CTRL-ALT-ESC to restart it and I get no messages. Sometimes I get the message about fallback mode, both with the panels and background disappearing and sometimes they are still there. Once it did that and about 5 minutes later the fallback message appeared. Sometimes the Mate fallback panel appears and has to be killed off in system monitor but has gone away on its own before. It always recovers and becomes usable again.

I haven't noticed system resources being used more when the crashes happen.

In another thread viewtopic.php?f=208&t=248898&p=1340671& ... s#p1340671 I noticed log reports saying "error 4 in libcjs" was something in common for at least 2 people. I'm not sure which log they looked at and haven't checked any of my own yet. (rushing to finish this post since I have something to take care of)

What more do you need?

Code: Select all

Kernel: 4.8.0-58-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.4.4 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine:   System: Dell product: OptiPlex 745
           Mobo: Dell model: 0MM599 Bios: Dell v: 2.6.6 date: 06/26/2011
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 6320 (-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 7447
           clock speeds: max: 1861 MHz 1: 1861 MHz 2: 1861 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82Q963/Q965 Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1360x768@60.02hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 965Q
           GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 12.0.6 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.8.0-58-generic
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5754 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
           driver: tg3 v: 3.137 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           Card-2: TRENDnet TEW-648UBM 802.11n 150Mbps Micro Wireless N Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]
           driver: rtl8192cu usb-ID: 001-002
           IF: wlxd8eb9726c7d4 state: N/A mac: N/A
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (46.2% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: HITACHI_HUA72101 size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 51G used: 17G (34%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.19GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 56.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
felemur
Level 5
Level 5

Post by felemur »

Portreve wrote:felemur:
Personally, I don't see what the big deal is about your having posted this question here. "Hey, after doing X, I'm experiencing foo. Is anyone else experiencing it, too?" seems a perfectly reasonable question to pose here.

Moreover, it would make sense for others to offer advice, so... not seeing a reason for the attitude of others here.

Anyhow, felemur, my first question back to you is: did you do an upgrade install, or a fresh install, of 18.2?

Personally, I never do upgrade installs, and so my fresh install of LM 18.2 does not exhibit the behavior you're describing.

However, as you can see, we may be, in fact, comparing apples and oranges here, so more detail on your end is required.
First, thank you.

I did figure out what was going on - at least I think so. After the upgrade to 18.2 (through the update manager), one of the applets (timer - like an alarm clock) was no longer compatible with the new Cinnamon. Once I removed it, the crashes stopped. Since I'm no computer expert, I'm not up to helping others, but the compatibility of your applets may be something to check into for others with the Cinnamon crashing problem.
jimbobs
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimbobs »

I saw this issue a couple of times but havent noticed it recently. I wondered if it was fixed through some minor update?
Dell Inspiron 1525 Core 2 Duo T5850 4GB Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia Cinnamon 6.0.4
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

@Penn: you wrote "Off and on through the day I did some bursts of putting settings in place." Can you detail a bit what you did? Did you add any applets, desklets, extensions or themes?
felemur
Level 5
Level 5

Post by felemur »

I guess I was wrong about the cause. It happened again, but this time was interesting. I always have two computers running, one my desktop, one a laptop. Last night the Cinnamon crashed on the desktop, I clicked "yes" to the restart, looked to my laptop and Cinnamon had just crashed on it - two at the same time.
Oreally
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Oreally »

I did a fresh clean install of 18.2 cinnamon 64bit and it's been very stable.
maybe something in the upgrade path ?
20.1 Cinnamon Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H i7 3770-k 32Gb ram GTX 1660 6Gb Super OC
19.3 Cinnamon Intel DZ77BH55K i7 3770-k 32GB ram GTX 1660 6Gb Super OC
19.3 Cinnamon Lenovo All in One C-5030 Touchscreen
Penn

Post by Penn »

xenopeek wrote:@Penn: you wrote "Off and on through the day I did some bursts of putting settings in place." Can you detail a bit what you did? Did you add any applets, desklets, extensions or themes?
I am already assuming it is one of those things. Since I don't use that machine daily testing all is slow going.

The only things I have put to the test so far are 2 desklets, 'Simple System Monitor" and "Time and Date Desklet" both slightly modified. Still crashed with each removed from the desktop. Off topic but maybe should be reported on github (I don't have an account), "Simple System Monitor" no longer works on LMDE since the update for the 18.2 release (fortunately I had it backed up so the old version is working for me).

I decided to wait before testing all the following to see if the most recent round of updates will fix something since many of those updates could be relevant.

Applets - The only 2 third party are "Custom Places" and two instances of "Quick Menu".

No extensions.

A heavily modified Mint-X theme from 18.0.

The last time I ran across a situation of Cinnamon crashing on that machine I figured out if you had "Effects on Menus" turned off in 18.1, Cinnamon would crash when launching media players from the "Sound" applet so those settings were going to be the next thing I test (if the updates didn't fix things) especially since I found something in the Cinnamon 3.4 update that is common to LMDE and 18.2 which I feel is a bug but I suppose a developer or a question on github could determine if it is indeed a bug. In past versions, if I just turned off all effects but in "Workspace" settings having OSD enabled meant just that, On Screen Display flashed up when switching worspaces. Now, if the "master switch(?)" for effects is off OSD is off no matter what. There is also no way to turn off the slide type transitioning when changing workspaces aside from turning off all effects with what I referred to as the master switch. Like I said, I don't know if that is a bug but I haven't ruled out effects having something to do with it.
Last edited by Penn on Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Penn

Post by Penn »

Oreally wrote:I did a fresh clean install of 18.2 cinnamon 64bit and it's been very stable.
I understand you probably just want a functioning system but having the patience, when within the bounds of what an individual sees as reasonable, can help the entire project make improvements. What I mentioned above about "Effects" settings and the "Sound" applet was a sort of known bug for the applet but until I isolated the fact it was connected to "Menu Effects" it was believed to be something that couldn't be reproduced. I questioned it on these boards on a good day, a developer just happened to see the question and passed it on to the rest of the team. If I am correct, but haven't on, that is now fixed in 18.2.

Again, I understand just wanting to use the machine but the patience to do troubleshooting steps can benefit the developers for building a better OS especially when the Mint team is very good at hearing people's concerns.

Regardless, glad you found a workable solution.
Oreally
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Oreally »

Penn wrote:
Oreally wrote:I did a fresh clean install of 18.2 cinnamon 64bit and it's been very stable.
I understand you probably just want a functioning system but having the patience, when within the bounds of what an individual sees as reasonable, can help the entire project make improvements. What I mentioned above about "Effects" settings and the "Sound" applet was a sort of known bug for the applet but until I isolated the fact it was connected to "Menu Effects" it was believed to be something that couldn't be reproduced. I questioned it on these boards on a good day, a developer just happened to see the question and passed it on to the rest of the team. If I am correct, but haven't on, that is now fixed in 18.2.

Again, I understand just wanting to use the machine but the patience to do troubleshooting steps can benefit the developers for building a better OS especially when the Mint team is very good at hearing people's concerns.

Regardless, glad you found a workable solution.
I never had the problem. sorry for the confusion or mis understanding, but I didn't understand your reply about patience.
To be clear - On the clean install LM 18.2 cinnamon, i have not experienced the issue. It's used every day, for many hours and been stable. someone else stated no problem with clean install.
The posts with the problem appear to be after an "upgrade" to 18.2. That was my 2 cents.
20.1 Cinnamon Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H i7 3770-k 32Gb ram GTX 1660 6Gb Super OC
19.3 Cinnamon Intel DZ77BH55K i7 3770-k 32GB ram GTX 1660 6Gb Super OC
19.3 Cinnamon Lenovo All in One C-5030 Touchscreen

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”