X370 motherboards and linux

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

X370 motherboards and linux

Post by MurphCID »

How about we post our experiences with X370 motherboards and installation of Mint? I'll start:

My Gigabyte X370 gaming K7 just does not work with linux, and apparently that is a common issue. I am looking at MSI or ASUS for a potential build later down the road for a dedicated X370 Linux box.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Re: X370 motherboards and linux

Post by mr_raider »

There's a ryzen thread in the other chat forum.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

ASUS Prime x370 works fine for me. Fan control by bios - only thing that does not work in linux. Should be fixed though down the road. These are extremely new boards.

https://www.newegg.com/product/product. ... ptcha=pass
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Yes, I know, this is specifically and narrowly about motherboards, not any other parts.
mr_raider wrote:There's a ryzen thread in the other chat forum.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Anyone tried a board other than the Gigabyte?
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

I've seen anecdotal reports on the MSI user forums of getting some x370s to work. No Debian/Ubuntu users though.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

You seem to be talking about some pretty bleeding edge hardware, and that's often a problem in Linux. It takes longer for the drivers to get done. MS has over 100K people just making drivers for all that obscure hardware out there. The open source community just can't do that.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
milius

Post by milius »

coffee412 wrote:ASUS Prime x370 works fine for me.
Sorry to barge in, but did you mean "it works fine except for the usual Ryzen problems"?
Or can you confirm that you have no random reboots / freezes / etc with that board - at all?
And it's been running for some time (let's say 500+ hours just to be reasonably sure)?

( From all the threads everywhere, I can't tell if everyone still has that problem or if it's supposed to be "fixed" or if that's just the "new normal" now for AMD. Mine reboots or freezes about once every 100 hours; linux 4.12 / ASUS PRIME X370-PRO / "BIOS" version: 0807 / AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor / F4-3200C16-8GVKB in bank 1 & 3 )
NietGiftig

Post by NietGiftig »

Hoser Rob wrote:MS has over 100K people just making drivers for all that obscure hardware out there. The open source community just can't do that.
Ryzen = "obscure hardware" ?
I do not know if the opensource is to blame?
I would think first in order is AMD.
milius wrote:
Sorry to barge in, but did you mean "it works fine except for the usual Ryzen problems"?
Or can you confirm that you have no random reboots / freezes / etc with that board - at all?
And it's been running for some time (let's say 500+ hours just to be reasonably sure)?
That is the real question.
off-course it can be an "Linux problem, but reports over freezes also come from ms users.
I think AMD has more explaining to do then their statement
" a performance marginality problem exclusive to certain workloads on Linux."
English, Beautiful language
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

milius wrote:

( From all the threads everywhere, I can't tell if everyone still has that problem or if it's supposed to be "fixed" or if that's just the "new normal" now for AMD. Mine reboots or freezes about once every 100 hours; linux 4.12 / ASUS PRIME X370-PRO / "BIOS" version: 0807 / AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor / F4-3200C16-8GVKB in bank 1 & 3 )
With the mentioned ASUS motherboard I have no problems at all. None. No lockup/freezing or anything. The only thing is that sensors are not readable by linux. This isnt a problem because you can go into the bios and adjust your fan speed(s).

My memory:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6820226836

Hope this helps
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
milius

Post by milius »

Thanks!

Also: Craaaaap... I was just about to accept that that thing is broken for everyone and I can finally stop looking for ways to fix it T_T

Is there a place where people are making systematic progress locating the problem by now or is everything still one huge steaming mess where everyone tries to replace all the parts and update all the things and reconfigure / recompile all the stuff and some just write: "fixed it!!!", disappear for 2 weeks and then they come back with essentially the same problem but this time it's "a different colour" or something?
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

The thing to remember is this:

Ryzen is a brand new product and totally redesigned processor. So are the Video Chipsets from AMD. It will just take a bit of time for AMD to iron out any issues that are reported and will likely come as a firmware update. Its like this with any new product like wireless chipsets, Network chipsets, ect... Only difference is that the Ryzen, and Video chips will be on the fast track for fixes. On the linux side, About once a week or so new kernels are being released. Motherboard manufactures had to rush their designs to market and so you can expect some problems. Any remaining problems will get ironed out Im sure.

I also recommend a rack mount, Hot swap case like the one I got. Makes everything so easy when doing raid or swapping drives and doesnt really take up much more room than a mid tower case.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6811165098
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

My GA-AX370 Gaming 5 simply wouldn't boot Mint, generating thousands of errors. I solved the problem by buying an ASUS Crosshair VI Hero and Mint ran out of the box.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
milius

Post by milius »

coffee412 wrote:The thing to remember is this:

Ryzen is a brand new product and totally redesigned processor.
Yes, some things might take a while until they work. That doesn't mean other things can't be broken permanently. Or require manual intervention :/

Could you post your cpu version? My randomly rebooting one is:

Code: Select all

$ grep 'model\|step\|micro' /proc/cpuinfo | head -n4
model           : 1
model name      : AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor
stepping        : 1
microcode       : 0x8001126
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

milius wrote:
coffee412 wrote:The thing to remember is this:

Ryzen is a brand new product and totally redesigned processor.
Yes, some things might take a while until they work. That doesn't mean other things can't be broken permanently. Or require manual intervention :/

Could you post your cpu version? My randomly rebooting one is:

$ grep 'model\|step\|micro' /proc/cpuinfo | head -n4
model           : 1
model name      : AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor
stepping        : 1
microcode       : 0x8001126
We should be honored - We are model #1 ;)

model		: 1
model name	: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight-Core Processor
stepping	: 1
microcode	: 0x8001105
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

milius wrote:Yes, some things might take a while until they work.
The only thing that doesn't work out of the box on my Asus board is sensors. This is fixed by upgrading to a 4.11 kernel.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I had to replace my motherboard, and so got an ASUS Crosshair VI Hero board, and could not be happier. I will add a new SSD for linux in a couple of weeks, and go from there. The gigabyte board just had too many problems. RMA time.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I just booted into linux mint 18.2 cinnamon on the USB drive and it worked GREAT!!! No issues on the ASUS Crosshair VI Hero board. So now as soon as I can get a new 1 TB SSD I will be adding Mint to this machine. I plan on dual booting and hope that the ASUS board turns out to be Linux friendly. It seemed to do fine from the USB stick.
loganj

Post by loganj »

MurphCID wrote:I just booted into linux mint 18.2 cinnamon on the USB drive and it worked GREAT!!! No issues on the ASUS Crosshair VI Hero board. So now as soon as I can get a new 1 TB SSD I will be adding Mint to this machine. I plan on dual booting and hope that the ASUS board turns out to be Linux friendly. It seemed to do fine from the USB stick.
Unfortunately it's not linux friendly.
I have one too.
onboard audio does not support 7.1. well i've test it 3 weeks ago
my creative sound card has/had issues during initialization and i ended up with no sound for 75% boots.

i hope i will have no more problems and the sound will stay on from now on.
i really regret buying this motherboard.
tony_at_BigBox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tony_at_BigBox »

Hi, I have a Ryzen 7 1700x + ASUS Prime x370-pro. I have issues with Mic input sound. I can't get audio recording from my microphone. Audacity does not record at a normal speed, it takes 6 or 7 seconds to register a 1 second sound playable, only with noise.
I am on mint 18.3, with the new 4.13 kernel avaiable.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”