Upgrade from Mint 18.0 and 18.1 to 18.2

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
CaptainKirksChair
Level 3
Level 3

Upgrade from Mint 18.0 and 18.1 to 18.2

Postby CaptainKirksChair » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:35 pm

This was the easiest operating system upgrade I've ever done.

My main laptop, a Dell E6400, had Mint 18.0 and I decided to upgrade to the 18.2 version. I did the same with my iMac running the 18.1 version. I have backups so my data was safe. I booted to the Mint 18.2 Cinnamon LiveUSB and ran the install. Each system has a 4 partition setup -- /boot, / (root), /home, and swap. I formatted the /boot and root partitions, left the /home partition unformatted, and the install went fine. I uninstalled LibreOffice and installed the latest version. Since I also use Cairo-Dock I had to install that too. All of my Cairo-Dock configurations remained and the dock bar came up with the exact same theme and icons as before. Cinnamon also had the exact same theme without any manual intervention. I did both computers on the say day. Total time -- approximately 1 hour, 30 minutes.

I believe that having the 4 partition setup is a big reason for the ease of upgrading Mint. Without it, I would have had to restore my data and that takes extra time. On a Windows system, I would have had to reconfigure the theme as well.

Thank you Mint team!

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Upgrade from Mint 18.0 and 18.1 to 18.2

Postby MintBean » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:01 pm

In case you haven't tried it, updating between point releases via the update option that becomes available in the update manager menu is even quicker and easier. A couple of clicks and 5-10 minutes was all it took to update from 18.1 to 18.2.

CaptainKirksChair
Level 3
Level 3

Postby CaptainKirksChair » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:11 pm

MintBean wrote:In case you haven't tried it, updating between point releases via the update option that becomes available in the update manager menu is even quicker and easier. A couple of clicks and 5-10 minutes was all it took to update from 18.1 to 18.2.

I haven't, most likely because I'm gun-shy from Windows updating itself. I remember someone telling me once, "The Microsoft Windows upgrade path involves fdisk." I always thought he was joking. The joke was on me, for all of the "upgrading" I did with Windows.

When Mint 18.3 comes out, I will try the point release update option just to see the difference.

jimallyn
Level 16
Level 16

Postby jimallyn » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:28 pm

CaptainKirksChair wrote:When Mint 18.3 comes out, I will try the point release update option just to see the difference.

That's the way I have always done it. Never had any problems. But 17 to 18 is a different story! Enough people had problems with that one that I decided I wasn't even going to try it. But point upgrades are easy peasy!

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Hoser Rob
Level 9
Level 9

Postby Hoser Rob » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:43 am

CaptainKirksChair wrote:
MintBean wrote:In case you haven't tried it, updating between point releases via the update option that becomes available in the update manager menu is even quicker and easier. A couple of clicks and 5-10 minutes was all it took to update from 18.1 to 18.2.

I haven't, most likely because I'm gun-shy from Windows updating itself....

I don't anymore because I'm now gun shy about Linux updating itself. When i 'updated' my laptop from 17 to 17.1 the Intel Ironlake video card developed severe tearing. No help to be found here or even on ubuntuforums but I did find bug reports of regressions in the i915 driver. Did a live boot of 17.2 when that came out, same. 17.3 is fine. And I'm never 'updating' via the web again.

Jamwest41
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Jamwest41 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:50 pm

ive tried to update using the update manager from 18.1 to 18.2 and after to update and a reboot i cant log into my destop, something about cinnamon not installed i think so i downloaded the ISO and did it form there but updating the system from the terminal will break the system have to use the update manager and install only the updates that are in green. love the login window of 18.2 and the way it now manages the desktop icons and whatever wallpaper in use it shows on the login screen... nice improvement

Pierre
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Pierre » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:37 pm

the update for this Laptop, finally came through, last night,
and yet, some other PCs got the update, last month.

all of which, just shows, the difference between the various servers, that each machine has locked onto.
- you seem to have to upgrade to LM 18.1, before you can then upgrade to LM18.2.
there doesn't seem to be a path that skips a point release.

short of a clean installation, that is.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Jamwest41
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Jamwest41 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:18 pm

Jamwest41 wrote:ive tried to update using the update manager from 18.1 to 18.2 and after to update and a reboot i cant log into my destop, something about cinnamon not installed i think so i downloaded the ISO and did it form there but updating the system from the terminal will break the system have to use the update manager and install only the updates that are in green. love the login window of 18.2 and the way it now manages the desktop icons and whatever wallpaper in use it shows on the login screen... nice improvement

I have my system now set to do all updates and it is working fine now.. maybe something when wrong when i upgraded from 18 to 18.1 that caused the system to break when doing a full update.

bob466
Level 3
Level 3

Postby bob466 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:30 pm

I've would never do an Upgrade...I like to do a clean install on my test HDD...if something goes wrong or I don't like the OS...I just plug back in my other HDD because it's too late after doing the Upgrade.
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Postby MintBean » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:34 pm

Pierre wrote:the update for this Laptop, finally came through, last night,
and yet, some other PCs got the update, last month.
I would report that to a dev or start a thread to highlight it. Mirrors are supposed to sync at least twice a day. If a mirror isn't, it's breaking the rules it signed up to.

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Tomgin5 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:58 pm

Sometimes (often) the online upgrade from 18.0 to 18.1 and 18.2 overflows the Boot partition and you wind up with dangling Kernels. parts of the upgrade crashes.
I found a fix for it here that I have reposted elsewhere and saved. It takes care of the overflowed Boot partition and the bug of the gnome-keychain-daemon that pops up with shutting down.
[*
Re: Low Disk Space on "boot"

postby XeoNoX » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:51 pm
if you are interested in doing it the alternative way using byobu if for whatever reason you cant load the mint updater, then here are the commands for terminal
it'll remove all kernels except your current kernel and the two old ones and free up some space on your linux mint boot partition

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install byobu

Followed by:

Code: Select all
sudo purge-old-kernels]

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”