uninstalling mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred

Re: uninstalling mint

Post by Fred »

duane2269,

Simply insert your Windows disk and install Windows as you normally would, telling it to use the entire drive. It will overwrite the Linux install.

Fred
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Make sure that your BIOS boot order is set to boot from CD first, put the Windows install CD in the drive and turn on the computer. That should do it.
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

Problem isn't getting Mint off your drive, it's that you've written Grub to your MBR. I guess you could continue using Grub to boot Windows only...? You'd probably want to edit grubs menu.lst to remove the Mint entry but maybe it doesn't matter.

To get rid of Mint just boot into Win, right click on My Computer and select manage then just go into Windows' disk manager and recapture the partition. It'll probably show up as unknown.

I would rather invest my time in finding tools in Linux to replace your Windows tools but, hey...to each his own.

Good luck
Alexio

Post by Alexio »

subslug wrote:Problem isn't getting Mint off your drive, it's that you've written Grub to your MBR. I guess you could continue using Grub to boot Windows only...? You'd probably want to edit grubs menu.lst to remove the Mint entry but maybe it doesn't matter.
To restore the Windows boot loader there is another solution: the Super Grub Disk from http://www.supergrubdisk.org

Just use the Super Grub Disk and the information provided at http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/UninstallGRUB
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

Actually the easiest way would be to boot from the Windows XP disc, and choose the repair option which will bring you to a DOS prompt. Then it's as simple as typing "fixmbr" without quotes. Then once this is finished, type "exit" to restart your PC. Simple as pie. This will fix the master boot record for Windows XP only. For Vista it's a completely different ballgame and I won't type it all here.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”