VirtualBox

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
deleted

Re: VirtualBox

Postby deleted » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:44 pm

You can mount the guest additions in the guest using a menu option.
It's the iso that gets laid down when you install VirtualBox. You don't have to burn a cd.
-H

JerryF
Level 7
Level 7

Postby JerryF » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:14 pm

Flemur wrote:...
I share an ext4 partition with Mint 18 host and Win 7 guest, and it works fine for everything except Adobe software running on Win 7.

How did you get Win 7 to read an ext4 partition?
Don't forget to edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject line if your problem has been fixed.
My main language is English. I speak very little Portuguese, and a whole lot of gibberish.

deleted

Postby deleted » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:21 pm

It shares through the mount. It's not reading ext4, it's reading the virtual box file system (the mount of the shared folder)
-H

JerryF
Level 7
Level 7

Postby JerryF » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:37 pm

hinto wrote:It shares through the mount. It's not reading ext4, it's reading the virtual box file system (the mount of the shared folder)
-H

Thanks Hinto!
Don't forget to edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject line if your problem has been fixed.
My main language is English. I speak very little Portuguese, and a whole lot of gibberish.

bob466
Level 3
Level 3

Postby bob466 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:09 pm

I've run VirtualBox in Windoze for years and now in Mint...it's so easy to use and has some great features that eliminate the need for Dual-Boot or partitions and does not interfear with the main OS.

You can export your VM to an external HDD for safe keeping...this eliminates the need for re-installing which saves a lot of time and with todays Computers you can give a VM much more Ram etc so it runs just like your main OS...a winner for sure.
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never

ElectroLund
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ElectroLund » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:55 pm

Caltrop wrote:It was unclear that you had to install VirtualBox in the Guest as well as the Host.
I mounted the ISO and nothing showed in the Guest.
So I finally burned a CD, the only thing REAL that shows in the Guest.
Installed, saying OK several times when told I was doing something questionable.
Now... IT WORKS!

Wait, wait... you have to install VirtualBox inside the guest as well?! Wow, that was not obvious. I too can't see any of my ext4 shares inside my Win7 VM. Installing it in the guest Win7... talk about two mirrors facing each other!

Did you also eventually switch to the VirtualBox version, or stick with the Mint repo version?

FWIW, I've had similar compatibility issues when using plugins for Eclipse. The Mint repo version of Eclipse apparently is several versions out of date and the plugin I as trying to use just couldn't even.

AndyMH
Level 3
Level 3

Postby AndyMH » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:23 pm

From memory, guest additions is only installed in the guest. But who cares if you've got it working.

Piece of advice - write down what you did to get it all working. Reason I say this is that I changed laptops about six months ago and had forgotten how I'd installed stuff or what problems I'd had on the original laptop. Had to start again from scratch with mint 18. Word doc now runs to 30+ pages, about 3-4 pages on VB. So next time round I'll have a crib sheet on what to do.

One tip, that I only fixed recently - USB access from VB - you need to add yourself to the vboxusers group. Once that is done access to USB devices from your guest is straight forward.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”