My experience with LM (1 month)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
mStuff
Level 1
Level 1

My experience with LM (1 month)

Postby mStuff » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:24 pm

Hi,

I recently came from Win10, and after 1 year of using the system without a reformat, the system was showing some age.

So I decided to give Linux Mint a serious try and stay with it for 1 month over my summer holidays.

I had some experience with Linux Mint since Mint 15, using it on my media PC, which I still use and update, but I had never used LM as my daily OS.

I am currently studying for a bachelor in CG, and have used the system for some serious work over the holiday period, working in Maya, Blender, Houdini, GIMP, Krita, Unreal and more.

I would like to write a little report on my experience with LM for this period any why I have decided not to keep using LM as my daily OS and move back to Windows 10 for now at least.

___

I have experienced some pros and cons over the past month of using LM;

CONS: (16 issues)

I have had some issues with my desktop environment, Cinnamon. It can be buggy at times, and 1while browsing on Firefox, the taskbar can disappear until I switch to desktop, where it reappears. 2ALT+TAB works differently than Windows as it switches between recently used windows except if the window is a fullscreened application, like Dota2 or Kodi. Talking about fullscreen applications, 3I have not been able to have a fullscreen application running on one monitor and use a browser on a second monitor without minimizing the fullscreened application. Another issue I have had with the desktop is that 4seemingly without any option to change it, all windows I open always open on my secondary monitor, and not my primary which is selected as primary.

I have had driver issues. I have an older 660TI in my personal computer and first of all, 5it was very difficult to install the proprietary driver on it. Luckily <Schallaven> on the IRC helped me out finding a ppa I could install it from, since the proprietary driver delivered by default would not install. I have great performance in games and rendering using the driver I ended up installing, but it was a pain to get there. Right before writing this, 6I got a severe audio driver meltdown, as whenever sound is played in the OS, the sound output is 100% volume white noise, which I have tried resolving using audio driver reinstall, but to no use. This made me decide to switch back to Win10
7I have installed a driver for my Wacom Intous 5 tablet as well, and the driver offers basic usability, but seemingly nothing more than that (ie. bottons/touch on tablet not working etc.)

Speaking of proprietary software, I have had a lot of issues with that.
I fully understand this is not an issue with Linux OS, rather an issue with the amount of support that companies give their Linux apps. 8I have had many issues with Discord (currently v0.0.2) which has been completely unusable to me at times. And then talking about all 9the software that is not available to Linux; Adobe CS, FL Studio, Marvelous Designer, Rosetta Stone LT and many more, and some not even available through Wine. I have tried switching to GIMP+Krita instead of Photoshop, and Nuke/Natron/Blender instead of After Effects and Premiere Pro - it is just not the same functionality they offer. And 10the lack of games - ouch (currently I own 680 games on Steam where 335 is available on Linux, and they are not the AAA games). Also UNetBootin (which I would love an alternative to) is SLOW on Linux.

Talking performance, the entire system feels faster than Windows, but 11browsing the internet in general feels much slower. I have not done deliberate testing on it, but loading many websites, some more complicated and extensively using scripts feels much slower on Linux, possibly also because of the proprietary software that Linux has to go through to show the final result. 12Video playback is also much slower, as when running a 1080p60fps stream from the internet, I am unable to browse the web, or even do anything without the stream lagging and buffering. (Specs at the bottom)

Lots of small bugs with the system communicating wrong with software happens as well, like 13text in the Steam client, that just looks odd and is not changeable. Also 14when transferring a large file to any of my USB drives / external hard drives it will transfer nice and fast and then stick at 99 % and never finish. I have had issues with 15my main storage drive, that does not mount properly at startup, as I have to access it manually through the file browser to access it though any application.

Being a Windows user, some things on above list might come as "thats just what Linux is", but many things like 16having to type my password whenever starting my VPN or changing any system settings has started really annoying me. I get that it is the safest, and not doing it in Windows might be poking the bear - but still, it is quite annoying.

And this is not even counting all the issues I ran into trying to install LM on my Lenovo ThinkPad tablet !

PROS:( 8 issues)

Some software has better support on Linux. I mentioned 1my VPN in the last bit of CONS - it has a great interface, seamlessly blended into the desktop environment. It was a bit difficult to setup, but it works like a charm.

2The suite of software installed by default is much, much better than the Windows 10 counterpart. Also the Software Manager is great for easily installing software, even though much of the software I have installed over the month was offered quite outdated or not available.

3The level of customization of the desktop environment is amazing.

4The simplicity and performance of the vanilla system is unbeatable.

I will really, really miss 5workspaces (it is a great feature that I would use)

The OS is 6free and open source, which I am a die-hard fan of (Blender, Krita, GIMP, Godot, Natron, etc. etc. etc.)

When everything fails, you can almost always expect to get the help you need from the 7IRC which is conveniently accessed though HexChat - mostly nice, helpful people there :)

8The way LMs UI handles sound is a mixed bag for me, but overall better than Windows.

I didn't get to use many of the features offered by LM, but stuff like notifications and all that is probably really good.

SPECS:

AMD FX8350
Nvidia 660TI SC 3GB
32Gb RAM

I am currently in the process of gathering everything I have used over the past month and move it to my cleanly installed Win10. I will be back to trying LM sometime in the future - but as of now I will stick with Windows.

If anyone has input on the issues I have experienced, please reply with suggestions, thanks!

mStuff
Last edited by mStuff on Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:17 am, edited 10 times in total.

mStuff
Level 1
Level 1

Re: My experience with LM (1 month)

Postby mStuff » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:03 pm

I accidentally pressed 'Submit' before I had finished my post, but I have finished writing it now !

so, bump :)

bob466
Level 3
Level 3

Postby bob466 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:28 am

I have Cinnamon 18 running on my Laptop and 18.2 running on my Desktop computer without any problems and I'm a newbie...so maybe it's not Linux after all.

Linux Mint is very user friendly and easy to use...it's far Superior to Windoze in many ways as I've found but it's not for everyone and since you have so many issues maybe Linux isn't for you...good luck. :)
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never

Pierre
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Pierre » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:04 am

there is always an expectation, that the Linux System is an Replacement for the Windows System.

BUT - - it's Not That, as it's more just an Substitute for the Windows System.
ie: it's not a Better System, but just a Substitute for the Windows System.

therefore, you will find that there is some stuff that you just can't get working,
on your New Linux System, and which is available via some drivers disk, on the Windows System.

likewise, there is also some stuff that just works on your New Linux System,
that you just couldn't do on that Windows System.

So, it's your choice, as to what Operating System, that you choose to use on your Computer.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Moem
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Moem » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:19 am

Pierre wrote:So, it's your choice, as to what Operating System, that you choose to use on your Computer.
8)

Exactly. And keep in mind that you can also choose to have more than one, and use each one depending on needs and mood.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

ColdBootII
Level 3
Level 3

Postby ColdBootII » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:25 am

Pierre wrote:BUT - - it's Not That, as it's more just an Substitute for the Windows System.
ie: it's not a Better System, but just a Substitute for the Windows System.

I beg to differ on this one. Linux is not just a Substitute for Windows because I've been using Linux (Windows free) since 2011, for a variety of purposes and it scarcely ever failed to deliver. Likewise, I disagree with many points OP has brought up, too. However, I'll just remark that Linux on top of AMD hardware(in combination with Nvidia graphics, to sugar it some more :mrgreen:) is marriage fraught with despair. It's not for nothing that System76 will not offer you a machine having anything AMD inside.

Jim Hauser
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Jim Hauser » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:22 am

I beg to differ on this one. Linux is not just a Substitute for Windows because I've been using Linux (Windows free) since 2011, for a variety of purposes and it scarcely ever failed to deliver. Likewise, I disagree with many points OP has brought up, too. However, I'll just remark that Linux on top of AMD hardware(in combination with Nvidia graphics, to sugar it some more :mrgreen:) is marriage fraught with despair. It's not for nothing that System76 will not offer you a machine having anything AMD inside.

I have been running nothing but AMD with Nvidia graphics for a more than a couple decades. I have run Mint KDE from an Athlon 64 (single core) up to an FX8350 (8 core) all with Nvidia graphics. The hardware has never been an issue for me. Is this something that you experienced or something that you read? My experience with Mint on AMD with Nvidia has been stellar! No despair in this marriage...

catweazel
Level 10
Level 10

Postby catweazel » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:47 am

Jim Hauser wrote:
My experience with Mint on AMD with Nvidia has been stellar! No despair in this marriage...

+100

Asus Crosshair VI Hero, Ryzen 1800x, nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, 256GB 950 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD (3,200MB/s seq. read), 6TB RAID0, 6TB RAID10, all up and running on Linux Mint 18.2 KDE. It was running out of the box with the exception of Software RAID, which took no more than a minute's work to type four or 5 commands into a terminal.
If your problem is fixed, please mark your thread as [SOLVED] by editing the title of the first message in the thread.

Jim Hauser
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Jim Hauser » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:50 am

catweazel wrote:
Jim Hauser wrote:
My experience with Mint on AMD with Nvidia has been stellar! No despair in this marriage...

+100

Asus Crosshair VI Hero, Ryzen 1800x, nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, 256GB 950 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD (3,200MB/s seq. read), 6TB RAID0, 6TB RAID10, all up and running on Linux Mint 18.2 KDE. It was running out of the box with the exception of Software RAID, which took no more than a minute's work to type four or 5 commands into a terminal.

Thanks catweazel!

Asus M5A 78L-M USB3, FX-8350, nVidia GeForce GT 740 SC, 2 two terabyte Seagate Barricuda HDDs, 2 one terabyte Seagate Barricuda HDDs, running striped LVM (raid 0) on four drives with two monitors. Also running Mint KDE 18.2. LVM is a five minute setup, standard install and then it rips.... :D (with plenty of extra room for EXT4 partitions on GPT used for backups, archives and three other bare metal installs on separate drives.)

ColdBootII
Level 3
Level 3

Postby ColdBootII » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:51 am

Jim Hauser wrote:

I have been running nothing but AMD with Nvidia graphics for a more than a couple decades. I have run Mint KDE from an Athlon 64 (single core) up to an FX8350 (8 core) all with Nvidia graphics. The hardware has never been an issue for me. Is this something that you experienced or something that you read? My experience with Mint on AMD with Nvidia has been stellar! No despair in this marriage...

Yes, you bet it is backed by my past experience with AMD on Windows! :mrgreen: Though, I'm glad to hear that they got it sorted.

Jim Hauser
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Jim Hauser » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:45 am

ColdBootII wrote:However, I'll just remark that Linux on top of AMD hardware(in combination with Nvidia graphics, to sugar it some more :mrgreen:) is marriage fraught with despair. It's not for nothing that System76 will not offer you a machine having anything AMD inside.

I have run AMD/nVidia with every windows version up to XP without any hardware problems...

ColdBootII
Level 3
Level 3

Postby ColdBootII » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:57 pm

Jim Hauser wrote:
ColdBootII wrote:However, I'll just remark that Linux on top of AMD hardware(in combination with Nvidia graphics, to sugar it some more :mrgreen:) is marriage fraught with despair. It's not for nothing that System76 will not offer you a machine having anything AMD inside.

I have run AMD/nVidia with every windows version up to XP without any hardware problems...

Again, good for you. Anyhow, my experience is not a superficial nitpicking based on span of one month. I was buying AMD as it was more affordable until I eventually got fed up. If they have improved in the meantime, so much the better for everyone.

majpooper
Level 4
Level 4

Postby majpooper » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:18 pm

Well just to pile on a bit - the AMD and Linux = BAD has never been borne out in my experience. I have been running AMD inside for several years with never an issue;
CPU: Octa core AMD FX-8150 Eight-Core (-MCP-)
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Turks PRO [Radeon HD 6570/7570/8550]
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Turks/Whistler HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6000 Series]

This is my second "AMD inside" desktop running Linux and I also have run Linux on a laptop with AMD inside.

JerryF
Level 7
Level 7

Postby JerryF » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:01 pm

mStuff wrote:..
I had some experience with Linux Mint since Mint 15, using it on my media PC, which I still use and update, but I had never used LM as my daily OS.

Does that mean you're still using Maya, which is an old version?
Don't forget to edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject line if your problem has been fixed.
My main language is English. I speak very little Portuguese, and a whole lot of gibberish.

ColdBootII
Level 3
Level 3

Postby ColdBootII » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:27 pm

majpooper wrote:Well just to pile on a bit - the AMD and Linux = BAD has never been borne out in my experience. I have been running AMD inside for several years with never an issue;
CPU: Octa core AMD FX-8150 Eight-Core (-MCP-)
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Turks PRO [Radeon HD 6570/7570/8550]
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Turks/Whistler HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6000 Series]

This is my second "AMD inside" desktop running Linux and I also have run Linux on a laptop with AMD inside.

I just might reconsider my point when the time for hardware upgrade comes. :D However, I distinctly remember the period when their hardware seemed incompatible even with Windows. :mrgreen:

sikejsudjek
Level 4
Level 4

Postby sikejsudjek » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:58 am

If you're unlucky with hardware it can be a pain - but so can windows although less frequently. I don't have any slower browsing on linux - did you enable hardware acceleration in your browsers ? Most times its disabled by default but works ok. In fact windows 10 is slower on my skylake pc for browsing than linux mint ! I use a dual boot system for gaming. Windows 10 has completely destroyed itself twice in the last year and needed a complete reinstall from backup. Large upgrades rarely work without problems. Good luck if you think you'll be better off with just windows 10 ! I'm not which is why I have mint on a separate ssd - which makes fixing windows 10 easier.

powerhouse
Level 5
Level 5

Postby powerhouse » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:19 pm

I was pretty much in the same situation 5 years ago, when I dual booted Linux and Windows. There were things that Linux couldn't do, or more correctly, where companies decided to not support Linux.

Back then I learned about virtualization and a technology called VGA passthrough. Since then I run Linux as my main OS and boot Windows in a VM when I need. Using KVM with VGA passthrough, you get about the same performance in the Windows VM as you would get when running Windows on bare metal. The difference, if any, is negligible.

I wrote a tutorial that you can find here: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=231&t=212692. Due to forum limitations, I'm now also hosting the tutorial here: https://heiko-sieger.info/running-windows-10-on-linux-using-kvm-with-vga-passthrough/

I'm doing this for 5 years now and I wouldn't want to go back. Linux is great for day-to-day stuff like email, web browsing, etc., and in particular for managing data. I use Linux on my media center and server, run a web server and much more. I use Windows 10 only when I need to, for photo editing using Lightroom and co. Data can be accessed from both Windows and Linux using Samba shares, for example.

The downsides of this solution:
1. Strict hardware requirements that must be met;
2. Rather advanced stuff, not for newbies.
Asus Sabertooth X79, i7 3930K CPU, 8x4GB Kingston DDR3 RAM, Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler, Gigabyte GTX 970 + PNY Quadro 2000 GPU, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Sandisk Extreme 120GB + Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD + 5 HDD, Corsair 500R case, SeaSonic 660W Gold X PS

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”