Switching From Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa To Windows 8...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sarge816
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Switching From Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa To Windows 8...

Post by sarge816 »

Idontknow wrote:
sarge816 wrote:
Rosko wrote:
Just curious because I've never done this for Windows. Does one have to use the microsoft tool to make a bootable Windows install USB/DVD from an iso file?
If you're in Mint, wouldn't the USB Image Writer work just as good?
idontknow wrote: tried to download it on Linux. There's no other Windows PC's in my house I can't just borrow one.
I'll try USB Image Writer.
I could never make the built in USB Image Writer built in to Mint ever work for the Windows ISO. Maybe you'll have better luck. It's Microsoft - they are not going to go out of their way to make it compatible with anything other than what they give you (the tool). I know it sucks, but you've gotta have at least one friend/family member with at least one Windows box.

Probably a silly question, but is there no way I could install Windows over Mint? Like just download the OS, and try to install it from Mint and kinda go from there.
Not that I know of. You have to create the install media (USB drive or DVD) and boot from it, where the Windows installer will go through the motions, format the drive and install windows from scratch. Maybe someone way smarter than me will have more ideas.
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

OP,

Follow the instructions here (WoeUSB) to create a bootable stick. It works.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Idontknow wrote:...
I know, I know.
Microsoft doesn't value user's privacy, but I can't do anything with Linux. I wanna go back to gaming on Steam. I wanna be able to download (almost) any program and for it to simply work, instead of hoping Wine supports it. I just like Windows' simpler way of doing things.
When you say "I can't do anything with Linux", what are some of the things you're trying to do. Many of us do some the following (and more):
  • Word Processing
  • Spreadsheets
  • Presentations
  • Emailing
  • Video editing
  • Picture editing
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Idontknow wrote:I can't do anything with Linux. I wanna go back to gaming on Steam.
You can't do anything with Linux? I do everything with Linux. I am not a gamer, but I came across an article dated February 2017 that states there are now over 3000 Steam games available for Linux, having added over 1000 in just 5 months. It's been another 5 months since that article was written; I wouldn't be surprised if they have added another thousand games in taht time.
Idontknow wrote:I wanna be able to download (almost) any program and for it to simply work, instead of hoping Wine supports it.
Many (most?) of us don't use Wine. There is a native Linux application for just about anything you want to do. We don't use PhotoShop, or try to run it in Wine, we use Gimp. We don't use Internet Explorer (or whatever the new one is called), or try to install it in Wine, we use Firefox, Chrome, Opera, or one of the many other browsers available for Linux. We don't use Microsoft Office, we use LibreOffice. We also don't use anti-virus software, since we don't need any.

If at some point you decide that instead of just throwing up your hands and going back to Windows, you'd like to give Linux another try, then come on back. When you have a problem, post it on the forums, and people will help you with it. When there's some program you want to use check with Synaptic or Software Manager and see if there's a Linux equivalent for it. If you don't find an equivalent in Synaptic or Software Manager, ask on the forums. If there's a good Linux equivalent, somebody here will almost certainly know about it, and will be happy to tell you about it, where to get it, and so on.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

It just occurred to me: do you even know about Software Manager and Synaptic? Really, there's rarely any need to look for software on the web and download it; instead, use the tools provided by Mint for installing new applications. Did you miss that somehow? That would certainly explain why you "can't do anything with Linux." There are thousands of programs available for install in Software Manager or Synaptic.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jameskga »

Yes you can, but it is time-consuming. It should be very easy now, but because the way we think about ISOs and license keys is somewhat outside the box of where Microsoft wants consumers, they keep it difficult by making it technically illegal to trade ISOs of MS products. They want to be the ones who put the software in your hands. Nobody but them and major retailers. Or something like that.

Because of the copyright law they illegally invested in and lobbied for, we can not legally link you to the perfectly legal pages where you can find clean ISO downloads. You'll have to search engine around for where to safely obtain clean ISOs for the Windows version of your choice. Rest assured, no one will come banging down your doors from using the website, I just don't want to paste any links here because I don't want to lose my forum account. But just pay attention, and you'll be fine as long as - it's a larger website, appears reputable, and offers MD5 checksum and all that - just so you verify that by using this copy of Windows, you aren't being backdoored by anyone other than the good people at Microsoft themselves.

There are markets that sell legitimate Windows licenses very cheap (Windows 7 Ultimate for $15). These are legal, but there are no automated systems of acquiring these keys. Each marketplace will require you email someone to request a key, pay via PayPal, and wait to receive your key. Again, using an established marketplace here for the most part protects you from being scammed. Many places, including a certain subreddit, have a form of seller rating to keep things on the level.

Hope this helps.

By the way, you can then reinstall that version of Windows over and over, and your key will always work, unless you change motherboards. Windows licenses are attached to the machine's motherboard where it was installed.
They say your favorite Mint edition was the one you installed when you still went to school with your friends.
I am out there
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

OP, if you can't create a bootable usb install media then hit up ebay for one. I have seen them for $10
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

MS will legally let you download Windows 10. If you do find your product key for your previous Windows 8 AND it wasn't an OEM version, you should be able to install Win 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... ndows10ISO
Idontknow

Post by Idontknow »

ColdBootII wrote:OP,

Ok.
I went to the website, apparently there's a newer version of said program already out.
I try to install it with the code they give me by entering it in the command center a few times, doesn't work.
Old version doesn't work either.
I tried downloading it directly, and it stopped my download and said ''this type of file can harm your computer, wanna keep it anyway?''

Sigh, Linux...
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

Idontknow wrote:

Ok.
I went to the website, apparently there's a newer version of said program already out.
I try to install it with the code they give me by entering it in the command center a few times, doesn't work.
I tried downloading it directly, and it stopped my download and said ''this type of file can harm your computer, wanna keep it anyway?''

Sigh, Linux...
AHaha... no, you won't blame it on Linux this time.You can't do it even when it's done the windblows way... :mrgreen: For on the referred page there was a link to install it from a deb file which is very similar.

So, download, this deb file, double click it, accept to install the missing dependencies(if it shows any)and you're there.

Sigh, Windows users... :lol:
Idontknow

Post by Idontknow »

ColdBootII wrote:
Idontknow wrote:

Ok.

Sigh, Linux...
AHaha... no, you won't blame it on Linux this time.You can't do it even when it's done the windblows way... :mrgreen: For on the referred page there was a link to install it from a deb file which is very similar.

So, download, this deb file, double click it, accept to install the missing dependencies(if it shows any)and you're there.

Sigh, Windows users... :lol:
Idontknow

Post by Idontknow »

Ok.
Not sure how to fix this.

EDIT: Can you see the screenshot I've included?
Doesn't show up for me anywhere.

??
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

JerryF wrote:When you say "I can't do anything with Linux", what are some of the things you're trying to do. Many of us do some the following (and more):
  • Word Processing
  • Spreadsheets
  • Presentations
  • Emailing
  • Video editing
  • Picture editing
  • Watching movies
  • Listening to music
  • Programming
  • Scanning
  • Creating music
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

Idontknow wrote:Ok.

??
No, all I see is, you are rather confused by all this now and that you should ask someone more experienced to bail you out of this mess in person. No offence intended.
Idontknow

Post by Idontknow »

ColdBootII wrote:
Idontknow wrote:Ok.

??
No, all I see is, you are rather confused by all this now and that you should ask someone more experienced to bail you out of this mess in person. No offence intended.
I mean, I inserted the image in 'Attachments'.... but okay.
Idontknow

Post by Idontknow »

MintBean wrote:
JerryF wrote:When you say "I can't do anything with Linux", what are some of the things you're trying to do. Many of us do some the following (and more):
  • Word Processing
  • Spreadsheets
  • Presentations
  • Emailing
  • Video editing
  • Picture editing
  • Watching movies
  • Listening to music
  • Programming
  • Scanning
  • Creating music

Yes, perhaps you are able to do most of those things, but in restriction compared to what Windows has to offer.

With Windows, you start Steam up, purchase any game you want from the marketplace as long as you can run it and there you go. Big titles such as GTA, Call Of Duty Games...

Or you can purchase even more games that aren't even on the Steam store on G2A. Pay and download. It's that simple. No need to run the program through another program, then use the command panel, so and so on...

Also, the restriction doesn't stop at games.
I'd say there's quite a few programs not supported by Linux, Photoshop being one of them...I mean, you can edit with GIMP, but it's hardly the same thing.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Yes, coming to Linux expecting to run all Windows software is a bad move. Linux is *probably* better at running Windows software than vice-versa but that's hardly much compensation.
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

Idontknow wrote:
MintBean wrote:
  • Word Processing
  • Spreadsheets
  • Presentations
  • Emailing
  • Video editing
  • Picture editing
  • Watching movies
  • Listening to music
  • Programming
  • Scanning
  • Creating music

Yes, perhaps you are able to do most of those things, but in restriction compared to what Windows has to offer.

With Windows, you start Steam up, purchase any game you want from the marketplace as long as you can run it and there you go. Big titles such as GTA, Call Of Duty Games...

Or you can purchase even more games that aren't even on the Steam store on G2A. Pay and download. It's that simple. No need to run the program through another program, then use the command panel, so and so on...

Also, the restriction doesn't stop at games.
I'd say there's quite a few programs not supported by Linux, Photoshop being one of them...I mean, you can edit with GIMP, but it's hardly the same thing.

GIMP is quite powerful actually and it's functionality can be extended and improved in much the same way as in Photoshop and even the later app is quite useless if one doesn't know the tricks of the trade - it is more of an art than plain usage. Same goes for many other counterparts. I don't miss much of anything made to run on Windows only although doing much more things then enumerated.

But, all this is beginning to look as nothing more than question-masked-pro-Windows trolling... Was it? :mrgreen:
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

There are people who want to help this guy move on, and there are people who want to keep him in Linux. We're such a mixed bunch. :lol:
Idontknow

Post by Idontknow »

sphyrth wrote:There are people who want to help this guy move on, and there are people who want to keep him in Linux. We're such a mixed bunch. :lol:
Yeah haha. Some have been quite helpful, some not as much *cough guy who's calling me a troll cough* .

Nah, I think I just might save up for one of those Windows 8 installations USB/CDs.
Regardless, I appreciate everyone's responses.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”