Sonya isn't as good as Maya

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bladeforger

Sonya isn't as good as Maya

Post by Bladeforger »

After 4 years of using Linux Mint Maya, I had to upgrade--in comes Sonya (Mate).

All the normal upgrade issues had to be dealt with, no big deal. Then Caja doesn't behave as it used to. No highlighting of destination. Oops. I put in Nemo and like it better. Caja developers messed that one up.

wlan0 etc. aren't used. Now it's enp0s2. Whose bright idea was that??? Tsk.

Libre Office: I save a file and go to close it... it's still saving (!!!???) What? That's sloooow. Tsk.

Virtualbox latest one is BETTER. I like it.

Moving a window seems to want to arbitrarily maximize it. Not what I wanted, folks. Tsk.

So, overall, I gotta say it, Linux Mint Maya Mate was a better system than Linux Mint Sonya Mate.

Big "TSK".
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Sonya isn't as good as Maya

Post by linux-dummie »

What system are you running it on? Perhaps time to upgrade hardware? Mint runs okay on older equipment but as conservative as mint is, it still has to keep up with modern usage. Even the Linux kernel had to eventually drop support for 386-processors after 21 years!
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

Indeed. Maya had her time with the older, less-powered machines of yesterday's standards. Sonya's built for the older, less-powered machines of today's standards.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

@Bladeforger
In a way I share your sentiments. Although Julia was my first Mint it was Maya that made me realize I could use
Mint as my only operating system. For that reason I was sad with Maya's EOS.
Yes, with systemd old school tactics no longer apply, and just as you have noted, the new wlan designations are strange--I pondered this as well.
One thing remains firmly in place-------change.
Hopefully we will evolve with it.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Bladeforger wrote: Big "TSK".
Preference is a matter of opinion. If you have issues with Mint, start a new thread and ask questions so people can commence to assist you.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

all41 wrote:the new wlan designations are strange--I pondered this as well.
The modern network device naming scheme is indeed very much a result of changed computing environment: while it in the olden days of static hardware configuration used to be predictable which interface was encountered first and which one second by the kernel when booting -- which one got to be eth0/wlan0 and which one eth1/wlan1 -- in modern days of hotplugable hardware (USB for example) and/or virtualized environments, a specific interface might be called one thing one boot, something else the next dependent only on non-deterministic timing.

This also in fact happens on more involved system setups and the naming change is in response to this: in for example the ethN versus enpBsS case the B and S are physical PCI bus and slot numbers which aren't going to change for an interface without a hardware change. This kind of consistency tends to be vital for professional users, and rather desirable even for desktop users; you wouldn't want to flip all your scripts or firewall rules around on every boot.

So, yes, it's annoying, but yes, that specific one is very much dictated by technological progress. Dropping 386 support from the kernel on the other hand...
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

rene wrote: Dropping 386 support from the kernel on the other hand...
Yep--that's a biggy!
Hey thanks for the explanation though--makes sense
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”