LinuxMint and Cinnamon vs Budgie Desktop

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

LinuxMint and Cinnamon vs Budgie Desktop

Post by Portreve »

As some of you may know from reading this thread, I recently have tried several different GNU+Linux distros on my computer, a 2011 13.3" MacBook Pro, with mixed success. I wanted to talk briefly about my reasons and experiences, and hear back from the community about this.

There have been some long-standing issues with LM at this point, particularly where certain kinds of glitchiness in theater mode on Facebook, and pretty harsh screen tearing are concerned. However, last week I bought an external 23" monitor for my MBP, and then I really started noticing some general hesitation when using it. Yes, I realize I have a meh Intel Graphics chipset, and I'm not expecting the world, but this really started to get to me, and I guess that became the straw that broke the camel's back.

Over the course of this last week, I have attempted to use, or gave a fair shot to, OpenSUSE, Debian, and finally Ubuntu Budgie. OpenSUSE was a total loss, but Debian and Ubuntu Budgie both installed and ran without problems. However, I still had issues of other kinds with each, and let's face it, Debian is pretty harsh to use anyhow, at least visually. But, Cinnamon on Debian has basically none of the issues (save for a bit of screen tearing) that it does with LinuxMint. So, I have spent the past several days with Ubuntu Budgie, and overall it was pretty decent, but I kept having wireless issues (see the thread referenced above).

So, today I re-installed LM, and was prepared to try and grin and bear it with the other performance issues, when I ran across information on installing Budgie on LM. I had to do some digging to find instructions that'd work with 18.2, but having done so, I now have Budgie installed, and all I can say is the performance difference is significant. In many respects, it feels as snappy as Cinnamon on Debian.

I have to admit to a bit of surprise that the source distro for Cinnamon doesn't yield as good a performance as Cinnamon on other distros, and some surprise that Budgie is that much better on LM.

Anyone interested in installing Budgie and giving it a shot, here's the correct current instructions for doing so:

1. Open a terminal and add the following PPA to your setup:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:budgie-remix/ppa

2. Refresh apt-get's repository and software listings:
sudo apt-get update

3. Install Budgie Desktop and the login screen, Budgie Welcome:
sudo apt-get install budgie-desktop budgie-welcome

You can log out of your present session, and in the upper right corner of the user name / password box, click on the Cinnamon logo to reveal a pop-up menu with other desktop session options, pick Budgie, and then log in as you normally would.

Obviously, you're only getting the very basic installation of Budgie, so if you like what you see, you'll probably want to add in other Budgie components.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MintBean

Re: LinuxMint and Cinnamon vs Budgie Desktop

Post by MintBean »

I got rid of screen tearing on my Intel by following the info in the release notes for 18.2 to purge the obsolete Intel drivers.

As to budgie, I'm not a fan. Too 'simplified' and lacking right-click context menu options.

What are the Cinnamon issues you have only with Mint? You mentioned Facebook.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Hey MintBean!
MintBean wrote:I got rid of screen tearing on my Intel by following the info in the release notes for 18.2 to purge the obsolete Intel drivers.
I hadn't actually looked at that before, so... I just eliminated the older Intel driver, and there's an immediate difference upon reboot. Cool! Thanks.
As to budgie, I'm not a fan. Too 'simplified' and lacking right-click context menu options.
I don't see any difference in the list, other than the "auto organize" item is absent.
What are the Cinnamon issues you have only with Mint? You mentioned Facebook.
Sluggishness generally on the external monitor, random performance-degredation types of impacts on cursor tracking, etc.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Interesting. It's probably about a year since I took a look at Budgie. Sounds like they may have filled out the menu options somewhat so I'll take another look.

I'm surprised you're seeing sluggishness with the Mint/Cinnamon combo and not on other Cinnamon distros. It may be worth kicking off a thread on that specific issue to see if anyone's got useful input.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”