Is Linux Mint as secure as it could be?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
k-314

Re: Is Linux Mint as secure as it could be?

Post by k-314 »

MintBean wrote:
k-314 wrote:Remember the saying "Would not do online banking on LM ..."
I don't. Links please or you made it up.
The link https://www.golem.de/news/sicherheit-mi ... 02830.html is there for those, who can read.

And we do have google translate, don't we? :mrgreen:
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

It has already been discussed and explained that the opinion of a Ubuntu dev about something he was unaware of is not interesting.
Time has already been lost to explain why he was wrong. I don't see any point in starting all over again.

Please read this: http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2016/09/addressing-fud/ and this: http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2016/09/a ... ent-347381
k-314

Post by k-314 »

... might be better to place a screenshot of that webpage here, so the talk of "me making that up" stops.

OK, Pjotr, has a point, that was in 2013, so a bit outdated, but I did not start with Linux right now and that statement stuck in my mind ....

Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

A bit outdated, and already untrue when it was said. Yes, we can safely stop talking about that statement now.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Penn

Post by Penn »

k-314 wrote:Remember the saying "Would not do online banking on LM ...".
k-314 wrote:OK, Pjotr, has a point, that was in 2013, so a bit outdated, but I did not start with Linux right now and that statement stuck in my mind ....
There is a HUGE difference between "a saying" and "statement stuck in my mind".

False equivalencies are damaging to the open source community as a whole (and in the "real world" it has even created war).

I've seen in reader comments on tech news sites and even on this forum. Long time Linux user who thinks using a command line makes a mere mortal a god doesn't realize things such as updating a kernel is intended to be done through the GUI update manager in Mint so therefore security updates aren't available. ALL Ubuntu (and Debian for us LMDE users) base updates are available to Mint and, at least as long as I have used it, always have been. If Mint is not secure then neither is Ubuntu and Debian.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Penn wrote:There is a HUGE difference between "a saying" and "statement stuck in my mind".
That's true, but let's keep in mind that this is an international forum, English is not everyones first language, and mistakes happen easily.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Whilst language barriers may lead to misunderstanding, these allegations (whether intended or not) do need to be refuted because they can gain traction amongst the hysterical and that's not good for Mint. One article does not make something "a saying."
Penn

Post by Penn »

Moem wrote:
Penn wrote:There is a HUGE difference between "a saying" and "statement stuck in my mind".
That's true, but let's keep in mind that this is an international forum, English is not everyones first language, and mistakes happen easily.
I know it is an international forum and I do keep that in mind. However, I know how much of English derives from Germanic languages especially these types of phrases (maybe not this individual one but many) and have known many people whose first language was German. My understanding is Germans usually have a strong grasp on this particular nuance since it seems to exist in that language too. I could be wrong in this situation so I hope it is understood that no offense was meant.
MintBean wrote:Whilst language barriers may lead to misunderstanding, these allegations (whether intended or not) do need to be refuted because they can gain traction amongst the hysterical and that's not good for Mint. One article does not make something "a saying."
Agreed. That is what was primarily on my mind in my response.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Penn wrote:However, I know how much of English derives from Germanic languages
English essentially is a Germanic language, riddled with badly pronounced French words. No offense meant: Dutch has its portion of badly pronounced French as well.... A bit less of that, because in our case the French occupation lasted a bit shorter. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

skjones007 wrote:So, in your opinion, is Linux Mint as secure as any other distribution?
When a user first runs Update Manager (or any time thereafter) they must select an update policy. The default selected, and recommended, update policy is to always install all security updates. Linux Mint is an Ubuntu based distribution. So yes, Linux Mint is as secure as any other Ubuntu based distribution as it gets the same security updates.
Voxel

Post by Voxel »

If you want a "reasonably secure" mint, just run mint in Qubes (along with whatever other OS's you want) : https://www.qubes-os.org/
Tails is good when your out and about : https://tails.boum.org/

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”