Is Linux Mint as secure as it could be?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
skjones007

Is Linux Mint as secure as it could be?

Post by skjones007 »

This is a legitimate question, please don't take offense. Just trying to understand why some say Linux Mint is not as secure as it could be. One developer told me Linux Mint uses out of date tool kits. I'm not smart enough to know if this is factual or not. So, in your opinion, is Linux Mint as secure as any other distribution?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Is Linux Mint as secure as it could be?

Post by Pierre »

it is true that LinuxMint is not as up-to-date as it could be.
& that's because it's designers want stability & usability,
not cutting edge programs.

if you, or anyone else, does want an Linux System, that is always up-to-date,
and has cutting edge programs, then there is indeed Linux Systems, that will do that.

but, this stability over progress, does not make the LinuxMint system any less secure.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
syg00

Post by syg00 »

Ask the same question about your house.
If it was as secure as it could be, you wouldn't be able to live in it. We all make compromises, but there are steps you can take to mitigate risk.
k-314

Post by k-314 »

Remember the saying "Would not do online banking on LM ...".

Was on PCLinuxOS at that time, a rolling release. :wink:
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

k-314 wrote:Remember the saying "Would not do online banking on LM ...".
I don't recall that saying. You must've made it up. I have no issues banking online using Mint.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Linux Mint is really secure and for sure as secure as Ubuntu. They use the same repositories and therefore you have the same versions for all the software inside the repo.
This "Linux Mint is not secure" statement is FUD and was answered several times in the last years. Maybe you can start here: http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/11/a ... configure/
revian

Post by revian »

skjones007 wrote:This is a legitimate question, please don't take offense. Just trying to understand why some say Linux Mint is not as secure as it could be. One developer told me Linux Mint uses out of date tool kits. I'm not smart enough to know if this is factual or not. So, in your opinion, is Linux Mint as secure as any other distribution?
So, an Ubuntu developer told you that a competing product was less secure than his product. And you don't see anything wrong with that particular practice?
k-314

Post by k-314 »

catweazel wrote:
You must've made it up.
Any problems with my posts?

https://www.golem.de/news/sicherheit-mi ... 02830.html
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

When it comes to Updates, Stability and Security are sometimes inversely proportional. Meaning, here's how the basic reasoning goes...
1. Updating leads to better security, but it can break your system.
2. Not updating can prevent your system from breaking, but you're not as secure.
3. Mint wants to strike the balance, but leans more towards stability.
4. Based on Statements 1 & 3, Mint is not as secure as it could be.

Like it said, that's only the basic line of reasoning. It's not a universal view. But when they say Mint is not as secure as it could be, they just mean Mint tends to lay back on the updates.
Faust

Post by Faust »

Every time I hear this gibberish I give my stock reply :-

" Paint me a picture of how a malicious attacker compromises a GNU/LInux system "
Describe the attack surface , and the imagined threat vector -

How would the malware give itself root privileges ?
....assuming the user is not so foolish as to habitually run Linux as root .
Now compare with Windows , where many users feel some deep compulsion to run as admin by default ,
rather than use the inherent protection of UAC .

There is some kind of psychological factor at work here ..... the Dunning-Kruger effect ?
Example : a survey by a motoring organization found that ~80% of drivers rated their driving skills
as " better than average " .... a self-evidently meaningless result !

There is also the added factor that malware creators want to target as many systems as possible , globally .
So their priorities , based on OS popularity , would naturally be MS followed by Apple , then Linux last .

I'm happy to do online banking with Linux ( but I run it from a Live USB when traveling , as an extra precaution ) .
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I'm not sure that Is Linux Mint as secure as it could be? is the right question to ask. In my view, the more relevant question is: Is Linux Mint as secure as I want/need it to be?
And my personal answer, based on (mostly other people's) experience, is certainly Yes it is.

I've been happily using Windows for 20 years and never ran into trouble even with that; since Mint is a lot safer than Windows, I feel plenty safe using it.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

k-314 wrote:Any problems with my posts?

https://www.golem.de/news/sicherheit-mi ... 02830.html
Na klar. :shock:

You're bringing up something from more than three years ago, which was even incorrect at that time. Since then, Update Manager has been reworked extensively. In no way it can be compared to the Update Manager of 2014.

Among other things, these reworkings of Update Manager have had the expressly stated purpose of preventing even the flimsiest pretext for incorrect criticisms like that.

Klare Sache und damit hopp.

As to the question of the OP: I would like to add to the fine answers that you've already received, the assurance that I also regard Linux Mint as very secure. You might find this article interesting, that I've written about security in Linux Mint:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... t/security
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
k-314

Post by k-314 »

Pjotr wrote: Na klar. :shock:
...but there is a slight difference between "make something up" and "bring something up".

Besides, that sentence stuck to my mind, but you see me here now :wink:

br KH
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

k-314 wrote:
Pjotr wrote: Na klar. :shock:
...but there is a slight difference between "make something up" and "bring something up".
Ebenfalls klar. Es lebe der kleine Unterschied. :mrgreen:

("Long live the small difference").
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

What's the name of this developer with whom you're talking?
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

No distro is a secure as it could be that includes the one that Developer works for.
All security is a trade off, minimize the threat balanced by stability of the system.

For best protection unplug the computer from the World Wide web. If you have to use the web. use caution.
Most attackers take advantage of human error. Weak passwords etc.
This topic has been beat to death in recent years. As Linux grows in market share more and more un savory chaps are likely to to pay more attention to it's weak points. fortunately most real security threats are found out rather quickly and patched the soon after discovery.

I won't loose any sleep over this in mint. But do take prudent step to be as secure as possible.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

catweazel wrote:
I don't recall that saying. You must've made it up. I have no issues banking online using Mint.
I agree. This board is becoming troll city.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I've never heard of that saying. Someone may very well have said that once, but people say so many things. That doesn't make it a 'saying' and it certainly doesn't make it true.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

k-314 wrote:Remember the saying "Would not do online banking on LM ..."
I don't. Links please or you made it up.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Moem wrote:
I've never heard of that saying. Someone may very well have said that once, but people say so many things. That doesn't make it a 'saying' and it certainly doesn't make it true.
Remember the saying, “k-314 owes Moem and Portreve a million bucks each”?

I seem to remember hearing that around here somewhere... :roll: :lol:
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”