Disappointed with install & wifi

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
flukester69
Level 1
Level 1

Disappointed with install & wifi

Postby flukester69 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:24 am

I could not believe how bad the installer has gotten. One time in past when I gave up on Mint and others who use same installer couldn't even install proper gfx card drivers or were equipped with bad drivers when installed. If it wasn't that it was non-existent sound drivers or drivers you had to manually install. I personally don't run Linux anymore because it is clear Linux fails to be a contender OS to Windows.

So this weekend a friend of mine got a new PC, AMD CPU with Nvidia gfx. He was using Linux on his old PC. He loves Mint. So he's not as savvy as me so I went over to install it for him as his PC came with Vista. He hates Windows. So I used unetbootin and created a USB stick and booted it up so he could see the latest Mint. Everything worked. Video sound and wifi all worked. So he decide to nuke Windows and go to Mint. Unfortunately for him after it installed he lost WiFi. I could not get it to work. In fact it installed as if there was a Ethernet card installed. Then there was bogus information in there from when we were connected to wifi on the USB stick. I tried manual commands to get wifi working but after several hours I had to give up. Now he is working off a USB stick of Mint because that's only way Mint will see WiFi.

He is waiting for me to return with Win7. Even he realizes with his past experience with gfx, sound problems in the past with Mint that this latest WiFi issue proves that this OS and others who use the same flawed installer are not worth the effort. People will want to say Linux is better, and while I will agree with them, your hardware detection and setup stink. People shouldn't have to go to command line to do anything. Your OS has continually had problems like this and each release is something new to make you scratch your head.

Anyway maybe you don't care but I had to rant because this OS wasted nearly a whole day of my life and like I told my friend I am done done done with Linux.

Summary of what I did:
Boot from a USB stick Mint 18
Connected to WiFi and tested Firefox and Youtube
Click Install Linux
Reboot
No WiFi!!!

No Ethernet wired connection is available in this environment. Yet this is the default connection configured after install.

Moem
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Disappointed with install & wifi

Postby Moem » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:39 am

Since there is no question here, I'm moving this to the chat section. Vent all you want, it's good for the soul.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

jimallyn
Level 16
Level 16

Postby jimallyn » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:38 pm

If you'd like to get wifi working, we do have a forums section for wifi questions. But you didn't ask for help with that, did you?

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Postby samriggs » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:18 am

sounds like a realtek wifi card, they have a lot issues with linux, I swapped mine out for an intel which works great, maybe the OP can give us some info on that wifi card because it probably is very fixable instead of just trying, giving up, ask for some help, that's why were here, well that and just to yak the odd time.
OP post the wifi info in a new thread in the networking section of the forum with a new thread and I am sure you will get an answer to your issue.
Not everyone knows all things that's why there is a community to help out.
We got some great folks hanging out in that section that can pretty much fix any wifi issue.
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

Pjotr
Level 18
Level 18

Postby Pjotr » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:32 am

flukester69 wrote:Anyway maybe you don't care but I had to rant because this OS wasted nearly a whole day of my life and like I told my friend I am done done done with Linux.

OK, bye. And indeed we don't care. This forum is for mutual technical help with Linux Mint, not for ranting: instead, buy a punching bag or kick your car.

If you want help anyway: maybe some people will still want to help you, in spite of your inappropriate and impolite misuse of this forum. If so, proceed as advised in the preceding comments.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Moem
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Moem » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:53 am

Pjotr wrote: This forum is for mutual technical help with Linux Mint, not for ranting

We've got a chat section for a reason, which is where this topic is; and if we would not want this kind of topic here, we would not have approved it. As a mod, I think this topic is just fine.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Pierre
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Pierre » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:48 am

it does seem that flukester69 has a point:
- it is suggested to "test your hardware before any installation".
and they did just that.

then, after the installation, things then went haywire.
:(
this does indeed happen - as those settings weren't transferred to the installed system.

and I've seen this situation, for myself.

it sure does show an issue that exists between the Live Environment,
and that of the Installed Environment.

and it my recent case, it took a whole week of messing around, to fix that hardware issue.
sure - - that was with Ubuntu & not with LinuxMint - - but, they are close relatives, aren't they ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mr_raider » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:09 pm

Am I the only one who doesn't get it? Why would the wifi card be detected in the live environment and not the installed OS? The kernel is the same, at least until you run the updater.

Moem
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Moem » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:14 pm

mr_raider wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't get it?

Maybe. Or maybe you're just the only one who read all of it. :wink:

JeremyB
Level 17
Level 17

Postby JeremyB » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:15 pm

mr_raider wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't get it? Why would the wifi card be detected in the live environment and not the installed OS? The kernel is the same, at least until you run the updater.

Could be a few reasons, they installed while downloading updates and one update allows network manager to enable power management on wifi devices on it's own, that can be crippling to some wifi chipsets.

I suspect it is a broadcom wireless device as I think the proprietary module(bcmwl) can be installed in the Live USB/DVD but it doesn't automatically install it on the hard drive and when you reboot into the installed Linux Mint there is no module for the wifi but all the needed files are on the USB/DVD. I am just happy that none of my laptops have Broadcom wireless, mostly Intel and Qualcomm Atheros.

I don't think it was actually an issue of being detected as I suspect it would show up in lspci results but it just wouldn't have a module on the install.

Another possibility is that the original Linux Mint 18 kernel did not enforce Secure Boot, anything after that does. Secure Boot would prevent the Broadcom Proprietary kernel module from loading as it isn't signed like a normal kernel module is and the kernel will refuse to load it, even the newer 3.13 kernels enforce secure boot rules

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”