Page 2 of 2

Re: Why upgrade instead of clean install?

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:43 pm
by Schultz
JerryF wrote:
One out of how many who have upgraded without a problem?
Here's another one. It's obviously a problem. viewtopic.php?f=46&t=254203

Re: Why upgrade instead of clean install?

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:42 pm
by JerryF
Schultz wrote: Here's another one. It's obviously a problem. viewtopic.php?f=46&t=254203
Point taken. :wink:

Re: Why upgrade instead of clean install?

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:45 am
by jsb
Schultz wrote:
JerryF wrote:
One out of how many who have upgraded without a problem?
Here's another one. It's obviously a problem. viewtopic.php?f=46&t=254203
After the upgrade failed, the person with this problem and the other could just do a clean install Mint 18.x, could they not?

I don't see the downside, if it works you can just go on and use your machine. If it doesn't work nothing is lost...it takes like a second to click on upgrade. After that just had to pop in to answer a couple cryptic questions about keeping or replacing a modified file :? .

I just did 18.1 to 18.2 and it was great not to have to spend hours re-customizing things again. I have two other machines running 17.x and at some point prior to April 2019, I will attempt to use the upgrade method to 18, if it fails I'll make a CD and do a fresh installation.

Of course, back-ups should be updated before doing it, but that's something you would (or should) be doing from time-to-time, anyway.

Re: Why upgrade instead of clean install?

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:20 pm
by BG405
If the upgrade process updates everything then it should be OK and can save a lot of time reconfiguring. I would guess that issues may be caused by upgrading a system with software installed from outside the default repos.

Re: Why upgrade instead of clean install?

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:46 pm
by jsb
BG405 wrote:If the upgrade process updates everything then it should be OK and can save a lot of time reconfiguring. I would guess that issues may be caused by upgrading a system with software installed from outside the default repos.
So perhaps, before doing a major upgrade such as 17-18, uninstalling those programs would be a good idea? Seems easy enough to find what they are, it's whatever is listed under PPAs and Additional Repositories in Update - Software Sources. right?

It'd sure be a lot easier to uninstall those few things and then reinstall them after, rather than to do a complete new install from scratch.

Re: Why upgrade instead of clean install?

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:28 am
by BG405
jsb wrote:So perhaps, before doing a major upgrade such as 17-18, uninstalling those programs would be a good idea? Seems easy enough to find what they are
I think so. I'd include VirtualBox in that list as well, regardless of its source, certainly if you also update the kernel.

Might be subject for an experiment at some time in a virtual machine.