Install W/L Printer in VBox? [SOLVED]

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Install W/L Printer in VBox? [SOLVED]

Post by wallyUSA »

How do I install hp 4520 wireless printer in Guest Cinnamon 18.2 running in vbox 5.1.28 on Win 10 Host?

Any simple solution for a gui guy?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
jeschur

Re: Install W/L Printer in VBox?

Post by jeschur »

Well for one thing since you're in a vbox it's not technically "wireless" (the host is however the vbox if setup "bridged nic" is bridged with the host)... granted all you should need to do is run the install and then point it to the printer's IP address on the network. I am presuming the vbox host is already on the same network as the printer correct? As I've eluded to you'll want the nic set to bridged so the guest Mint install can talk to the printer directly without NAT blocking anything.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

jeschur wrote:Well for one thing since you're in a vbox it's not technically "wireless" (the host is however the vbox if setup "bridged nic" is bridged with the host)... granted all you should need to do is run the install and then point it to the printer's IP address on the network. I am presuming the vbox host is already on the same network as the printer correct? As I've eluded to you'll want the nic set to bridged so the guest Mint install can talk to the printer directly without NAT blocking anything.
@jeschur: Thanks for the reply. I am new to Linux and VBox. Do not understand your message re: "bridged" stuff.

The host (win10) connects wirelessly to the Net and the printer via the Frontier (Verizon) router. The guest (Mint) somehow connected the the Net also. So I am trying to connect from Mint to the same printer. I am attaching a pix of my trying to install the printer in Mint (guest).
snapshot5.png
I assume I can use one of these options. If so, which one? If I need the ip of the printer, how would I find it?

Thanks.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

jeschur

Post by jeschur »

I strongly suggest you research virtualbox and look up about NAT and bridged nics first. This will save you headaches. With virtualbox if you are using a flexible type adapter/NAT you may need to forward ports or dmz the printer IP somehow - it can get tricky. This is why I mentioned about bridging the nic in the virtualbox settings this allows the guest to dhcp grab it's own IP address from your router so it can talk directly to the printer(s) on the network.

Remember google is your friend on this....
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

@jeschur: Thanks for the tips!

wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

Under VBox Settings, Network, I added Adapter 2 as a ‘Bridged Adapter’. Then I did Install Printer and my w/l printer showed up under ‘Network Printer’.

Issue solved.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”