System76 calls Linux Mint "Mint Linux" the only time they mention another distro that isn't Ubuntu. LOL

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ylevental

System76 calls Linux Mint "Mint Linux" the only time they mention another distro that isn't Ubuntu. LOL

Post by ylevental »

Can't be making this up! http://support.system76.com/articles/de ... vironment/
Cinnamon is used in Mint Linux by default. Cinnamon strives to provide a traditional experience and is a fork of GNOME 3.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: System76 calls Linux Mint "Mint Linux" the only time they mention another distro that isn't Ubuntu. LOL

Post by MintBean »

Why do I suspect they did that on purpose?
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: System76 calls Linux Mint "Mint Linux" the only time they mention another distro that isn't Ubuntu. LOL

Post by Fred Barclay »

Pull request to fix typo created! https://github.com/system76/docs/pull/63
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

MintBean wrote:Nice one Fred! 8)
No worries BeanMint... I mean MintBean. :lol:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Fred Barclay wrote:No worries BeanMint... I mean MintBean. :lol:
Ha... don't make me go all 'pull request' on you, Fred. :wink:
revian

Post by revian »

From http://support.system76.com/articles/de ... vironment/:
"Make sure to always pick lightdm as the desktop manager when prompted while installing additional desktop environments. Choosing gdm, sddm, or another, will break the installation. If needed, this command can be run to pick the display manager again"

LightDM is not a "desktop manager".. it is a cross-desktop display manager.

From freedesktop.org:
"LightDM is a cross-desktop display manager."

Wowsers, System76, you folks really need to educate yourselves a little better.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I have a feeling they have a lot of staff there just because it's a job, not because they specifically have a background or interest in all-things-GNU+Linux.

Sad, really, and a waste of resources and people's time.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Well, they only actually support Ubuntu, which is what comes preinstalled with their hardware. Why should they mention Mint or any of the many other Ubuntu derivatives all that often????
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

it's most probably just their marketing:
- Ubuntu Linux Vs Mint Linux
:roll:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Hoser Rob wrote:Well, they only actually support Ubuntu, which is what comes preinstalled with their hardware. Why should they mention Mint or any of the many other Ubuntu derivatives all that often????
According to its blog System 76 is moving away from Ubuntu and going to Pop!_OS. From what I can tell CEO Carl Richell is upset that Canonical abandoned the Unity desktop and chose a new Linux distribution based on ... wait for it ... Ubuntu. That is much easier and sane path that, say, adopt to the direction Ubuntu is taking or finding an established distribution that is better suited for Sys76.

The "Why System76 is Making Pop!_OS) post (Pop!_OS ... sheesh! someone really needs to throttle Marketing) are weird IMO. I get the impression that Richell was more devoted to Unity than to Ubuntu. And yet does not abandon Ubuntu entirely.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
revian

Post by revian »

Portreve wrote:I have a feeling they have a lot of staff there just because it's a job, not because they specifically have a background or interest in all-things-GNU+Linux.

Sad, really, and a waste of resources and people's time.
Agreed. However, a business should always be careful in this area as this has the potential to damage credibility rather quickly.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

They really need to be corrected on this:
while installing additional desktop environments
:shock:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
blockhead47
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blockhead47 »

Response to support ticket I opened:
Ah! Typos! Thanks for the info. I'll get those fixed. I'm working on the documentation this week, so I should get those fixed too.

Thank you! All of our customers are awesome!
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

PR was merged so it's now "Linux Mint." :mrgreen:
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”