Making the new Linux Mint Blog use less whitepsace

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Making the new Linux Mint Blog use less whitepsace

Post by Mick-Cork »

I always enjoy reading Clems monthly news updates on the LM blog and it's a great place for seeing what's coming up on the next release etc. 18.3 is looking very impressive and I'm looking forward to it already. The blog itself however recently make a switch to a mobile friendly layout, and whilst welcome on that front it also now incorporates IMO too much whitespace, a large font size, and an overly generous line-height. With over 200 comments on Septembers post, for example, this also leads to much scrolling and too few comments on the available screen space.

I think Clem, or whoever looks after the site, might have a rethink when they get the time, but for anyone who feels the same here's a little workaround in the meantime: Firefox has an extension called 'Stylish' which allows you to redefine the CSS that gets used when you view a site. I specified the following for the domain 'blog.linuxmint.com' and it makes it a bit easier to read (especially the comments area):

#comments .comment .comment-body {
padding: 20px 0 20px 120px;
}

body {
font-size: 14px;
line-height: 1.1;
}

Anyway, just thought I'd throw it in here in case useful for anyone else.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Making the new Linux Mint Blog use less whitepsace

Post by Hoser Rob »

What is the problem with just using the Zoom comtrol in your browser?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Making the new Linux Mint Blog use less whitepsace

Post by Mick-Cork »

Hi Hoser,

That's another way of squeezing a bit more into the screen space, but not as effective. 'Stylish' is a set and forget so once done no more buttons to push. Also, lets say your eyesight isn't so great, you can leave the font size the same but still, for example, reduce padding, margins, line height etc. Zoom will always make the font smaller.

Since posting I have also added some CSS to hide the avatars and reduce the comment areas left margin - allowing more comments to be displayed simultaneously. This I find especially useful when reading replies to previous comments.

It works for me :)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”