Mr. Robot Linux Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ET251

Mr. Robot Linux Mint

Post by ET251 »

I wanted to know what configurations Elliot is using in Mr. Robot. Does anyone recognize the
Windows Managaer, Desktop Environment and other configurations?

Desktop: https://i.imgur.com/jv4PrAw.png
Windows Manager: https://i.imgur.com/iTjW3Fy.png
Switching Windows: https://i.imgur.com/lrgRLYW.jpg
Round Corner Windows: https://i.imgur.com/WjMZQc3.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mr. Robot Linux Mint

Post by xenopeek »

The first and last screenshot both look like KDE. From the second screenshot we know it is Linux Mint 17.2. On that version Cinnamon, MATE and Xfce do not have the application icon in the top left window corner by default, while KDE does. Similarly they don't show time and date above one another on the panel, while KDE does.

Now what desktop, application and icon themes they are using... That I can't help with.
marlenejo

Post by marlenejo »

Elliot is always using Kali Linux but deceivingly run Mint 17.2 (lock screen). We can see that he reboot with a USB key, a live version of Kali. Then he's running a root kit hunter (rkhunter). Further on, the FBI agent is looking at a recording which looks like a Linux Mint Cinnamon desktop. Strangely the player says at the top that's a PNG image file. I think Eliot knows very well that he is monitored and this is to deceive the FBI. He is a lot smarter that those bozos :twisted:
phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phd7 »

Q1. Why would he go to sleep leaving the machine on...a trap??
Q2. When he went to login afterward, with the linux mint logo on the screen, he paused, then switched the machine off with the power button, then, inserted a USB stick and switched it on again with the power button, before booting Kali live an running a rootkit hunter
dont know if its relevant, but see attachment

"UVC compliant capture devices
Although the uvcvideo kernel driver module mainly aims to support webcams, it can handle other types of USB devices that are based on this standard which are also considered V4L devices. There is not a wide variety of them, but chances are that they will work well. "

Oh, as an aside, I loved the Darren Aronofsky "Requiem for a Dream" snippets.
marlenejo

Post by marlenejo »

*** as a note *** As per episode 3, we now know who finally got Trump elected and it's not Putin :lol: :lol: :lol:
marlenejo

Post by marlenejo »

Great, Elliott is back on Linux Mint last night ! (18.3 ?)

Some hints for true hackers, he got an A85V PRO M8 motherboard (can't find it) and open a new email account at "proton" mail. Never heard of it before but it does exist !

P.S At the beginning of the show, It destroy his computer and broke his memory sticks. He also destroyed what I believe is its BIOS chips. (microwave them) Didn't know you can get info from those things.

Anyway the best show on hacking on TV. :D
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

marlenejo wrote:[...]) and open a new email account at "proton" mail. Never heard of it before but it does exist !
[...]
My main email accounts are with Proton Mail, it's encrypted/reliable/free(or paid). I won't post a link... make Google earn it's keep ;)
xTom

Post by xTom »

marlenejo wrote:Elliot is always using Kali Linux but deceivingly run Mint 17.2 (lock screen). We can see that he reboot with a USB key, a live version of Kali. Then he's running a root kit hunter (rkhunter). Further on, the FBI agent is looking at a recording which looks like a Linux Mint Cinnamon desktop. Strangely the player says at the top that's a PNG image file. I think Eliot knows very well that he is monitored and this is to deceive the FBI. He is a lot smarter that those bozos :twisted:
Elliot is not always using kali, he knows that he has been compromised because Mr Robot told him - Darlene had attatched a device to his monitors display/hdmi / (or whatever he uses) port which sends screenshots to the FBI, he then decides not to go into mint linux. He turns his PC off then runs kali live with a USB. He is then seen in Kali mounting system files and changing root (chroot). He mounts his /sys/ directory to /mnt/sys , i think he mounting them on to Linux Mint then changes root and then runs rootkit hunter to scan his Linux Mint for rootkits. After that he searches his whole room and then finds Darlenes thing on the adapter. Does some other shit and tracks it back to Darlene.

The FBI can see him go into Kali Linux, the desktop is not a front for the FBI. He does mount, chroot and scans his Linux Mint system using rkhunter in Kali. He then wipedowns the place because he knows hes been compromised.
computerhoarder

Post by computerhoarder »

The motherboard is obviously one with an Intel chipset (you can see the Intel logo on the hub or bridge) but the A85 chipset shown on the box is an AMD chipset model designation. The closest Intel chipset model would be the B85 but that one does not support the vPro shown on the box and does not support the 40pin IDE/PATA (black) or the 34pin floppy (white) connectors shown on the mobo. They could add the PATA support with a chip & maybe the floppy support too but why would the mobo maker do so these days. Also, Elliot should know better to run anything with vPro anyway since it has vulnerabilities and supposed (maybe real) backdoors. The AMD A85 chipset can't support their new Ryzen Pro comptitor to Intel's vPro because it is built into the CPU. A85 only support Trinity & Richland CPUs. Bottom line is it is an old Intel mobo with a fake box. The hard drive is a real Western Digital Blue 1TB (in another fake box) drive though that you can read or almost read the model number off of and the "WD Blue" is clearly shown on the bottom of the label on the drive. The top part is covered up though. Blues do not have SED (Self Encrypting Drive) support that I know of. If you shuck an external one, it might but the retail WD Blues do not that I am aware of. The RAM appears to be "DDR2-PC3-1600" from what I could make out but this is also fake because the PC3 means it is DDR3 1600Mhz not DDR2 800Mhz, 1600 cycles (two per clock) so this to is ficticious as near as I could make out. The Intel B85 & AMD A85 chipsets do support 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM so if I misread it, that passes muster. Thanks & it was cool to hear "In Time" by Robbie Robb off the Bill & Ted soundtrack at the end of eps3.7. That's classic!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”