New GTK update in 18.3 ?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marlenejo

New GTK update in 18.3 ?

Post by marlenejo »

I am wondering if it is possible to have the new GTK kit 3.20+ in Mint 18.3 ? Mint 18 is still on 3.18 which is long in the tooth. Most of the new themes do not support anymore that version which means that Mint is left in the cold for the latest theming. Not good.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
minitux

Re: New GTK update in 18.3 ?

Post by minitux »

I do not believe, xenial packages are those, and I think they stay that way
Penn

Post by Penn »

I'm guessing GTK should remain the same as the base an the base for 18.3 is Xenial.

19, according to multiple developers, will be GTK 3.22.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

If I had to have the latest everything I'd be using Arch. I like a conservative approach myself.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
revian

Post by revian »

marlenejo wrote:I am wondering if it is possible to have the new GTK kit 3.20+ in Mint 18.3 ? Mint 18 is still on 3.18 which is long in the tooth. Most of the new themes do not support anymore that version which means that Mint is left in the cold for the latest theming. Not good.
If you're into theming I would suggest learning how to theme GTK3. It's not at all difficult and the knowledge will allow you to convert themes between GTK versions.. which would solve the problem entirely.
marlenejo

Post by marlenejo »

revian wrote:
marlenejo wrote:I am wondering if it is possible to have the new GTK kit 3.20+ in Mint 18.3 ? Mint 18 is still on 3.18 which is long in the tooth. Most of the new themes do not support anymore that version which means that Mint is left in the cold for the latest theming. Not good.
If you're into theming I would suggest learning how to theme GTK3. It's not at all difficult and the knowledge will allow you to convert themes between GTK versions.. which would solve the problem entirely.
Well it is like saying, if you find something wrong in Mint, just become a programmer. It is not my field of interest. I just "use" themes like I "use" Linux Mint and its programs as the vast majority of users.
I have no interest of becoming a mechanic just to use my car. :D :lol: :lol:
revian

Post by revian »

marlenejo wrote:
revian wrote:
Well it is like saying, if you find something wrong in Mint, just become a programmer. It is not my field of interest. I just "use" themes like I "use" Linux Mint and its programs as the vast majority of users.
I have no interest of becoming a mechanic just to use my car. :D :lol: :lol:
Wouldn't you rather the mechanic show you how to fix your car in the future rather than you wasting money for someone else to do what you could have done yourself? I was trying to show you how to solve your own problem, but it seems my advice has fallen on deaf ears.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Mint 18.3 will definitely still use gtk3.18
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”