the Look of it.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HiramGa

the Look of it.

Post by HiramGa »

I've used Mint off and on for awhile, first when I disliked Ubuntu's Unity (or whatever it's called), and then when upgrades or computer issues screwed up Audacity recording, but usually go back to Ubuntu. Now with the latest change in 17.10, my computer's screwing up yet again. So, back to seeing if Mint is a better OS. Now, I know this sounds insulting, but don't they ever plan to change the look of the OS? I can't see a thing that's been updated in the last decade. Is there some way I don't know about that takes in some of the modern improvements? Sorry for the apparent rudeness, it's not really meant that way.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: the Look of it.

Post by MintBean »

There are ways and means of asking a question - like did you have to add the point that you've only looked to Mint because Ubuntu's screwed up? Here's some advice- don't poop on someone's doorstep right before knocking on the door to ask if you can use their phone.

I do think Mint could do with a lick of paint. Lose the 'programmer art' Mint logo and ease up on the 'worst shade of green in existence.' That said, it's easy to change the theme, icons and wallpaper to improve the look. Want a Mac like dock? Install Cairo-dock or Plank. Honestly the sky's the limit. viewtopic.php?f=214&t=236710

If you're talking about stuff like client-side window decorations, or a stupidly cut-down OS that looks like something you'll find on your phone, look elsewhere- Mint is a more traditional desktop.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

HiramGa wrote:Now, I know this sounds insulting, but don't they ever plan to change the look of the OS? I can't see a thing that's been updated in the last decade. Is there some way I don't know about that takes in some of the modern improvements?
You can see if the Cinnamon Spices website offers the "modern improvements" which you find lacking.

Joe
minitux

Post by minitux »

I have Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon and also installed the Gnome Shell interface

Code: Select all

sudo apt install gnome-shell gnome-session gnome-control-center gnome-tweak-tool chrome-gnome-shell nautilus
Then logout / login or reboot and choose the GNOME session

MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Gnome shell is what Ubuntu has moved to - i.e. exactly what the OP is trying to get away from.
minitux

Post by minitux »

MintBean wrote:So, back to seeing if Mint is a better OS. Now, I know this sounds insulting, but don't they ever plan to change the look of the OS? I can't see a thing that's been updated in the last decade. Is there some way I don't know about that takes in some of the modern improvements?
I understand that he does not want Ubuntu as a system, and he prefers Mint, but it's not modern as a desktop.

So it can have the modern interface of Ubuntu, but the Mint system.

But as you can see from my avatar, I'm Italian and I definitely misunderstood all his talk. Bye
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

minitux wrote:But as you can see from my avatar, I'm Italian and I definitely misunderstood all his talk. Bye
You sound offended but I cannot understand why.
Penn

Post by Penn »

minitux wrote:
MintBean wrote:So, back to seeing if Mint is a better OS. Now, I know this sounds insulting, but don't they ever plan to change the look of the OS? I can't see a thing that's been updated in the last decade. Is there some way I don't know about that takes in some of the modern improvements?
I understand that he does not want Ubuntu as a system, and he prefers Mint, but it's not modern as a desktop.

So it can have the modern interface of Ubuntu, but the Mint system.

But as you can see from my avatar, I'm Italian and I definitely misunderstood all his talk. Bye
I took it the same way. He doesn't like the underlying Ubuntu but does like the "appearance" with the Gnome style.

However, these misunderstandings (whichever did misunderstand) can be cleared up by asking the OP questions. Such as the one I thought of while reading the post.

What do you mean by "the look of the OS" and what do you mean by modern. What DE are you using?

Keep in mind, Mate and Cinnamon both started because there was a demand for keeping the majority of the interface traditional. If I am correct, XFCE and KDE each pre-date Gnome and have their own ideas of what if "right". Most of the appearance does come form the desktop environment and the theme you choose to use.

So the only one that you might be able to address within the Mint community directly would be Cinnamon and they have shown a desire to not fall into the big pitfall of believing that new for the sake of new is better. The overall interface of Windows 8 and 10 is an even bigger issue to most of the people not liking those versions than the privacy and control concerns, at least among those I've talked to.
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Old Proverb.

"You don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire."
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

If you want a rock solid Ubuntu experience, stick with LTS releases. Don't run the latest point releases.
Ubuntu 16.04 is solid. Run it on my server and it is flawless.
Last edited by xenopeek on Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unwelcoming and/or pointless comments removed
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

Can you try to make the OS look more to your liking?

https://postimg.org/image/90bc9ctd97/

This my OS at the moment. It looks very little like the "off the DVD" KDE. It was done with wallpapers that I have saved over the last 3 1/2 years. Is there something in your system that can not be changed or is that too much work for you?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Let's give HiramGa some time to respond to the questions. To let them clarify.

And let's stay friendly here. Thanks all.
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

Unity was Canonical's attempt for a more "modern look" of Ubuntu. Yet, you didn't like it.
All of Mint's DEs (XFCE, Cinnamon, Mate, and KDE), follow a more conservative/traditional approach to modernization. Yet, you don't like it either.

This is why we want to understand what you meant by "I don't like the Look of the OS".
lisabonne citadel

Post by lisabonne citadel »

you can install macOS desktop theme for cinnamon
and install la capitaine icon theme :P

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”