End of KDE

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Re: End of KDE

Post by sdibaja »

catweazel wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:05 pm
Fred Barclay wrote: As I recall Manjaro has a gorgeous KDE right out of the box!
Yes, it does.
(Personally I've been using Arch this past month or two, but I've stuck with my old favourite MATE).
Arch will be my next distro once I've got enough experience in majaro.
when you want to try Arch I suggest you try the Feliz Installer.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/feliz/
https://github.com/angeltoast/feliz2

It works pretty slick, even with wifi. you get a Basic install with choice of desktop, editors, and a few others.
I have used it several times. The only problem I had was trying to prepare partitions within the installer. I strongly suggest preparing all of your target partitions before you boot with the installer.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Installed Kubuntu 18.04 today and have to say it is pretty sweet.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

KBD47 wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:19 pm Installed Kubuntu 18.04 today and have to say it is pretty sweet.
The best-looking KDE distro I've seen is Namib Linux. The installer is a bit rough on the English language as it doesn't seem any of the devs speak it natively, but it really is very slick. That's best-looking, not 'the best' distro.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

I'll be switching to Kubuntu as soon as the Mint support runs out.
It's the distro I started with many years ago. So no worries for me.
If I find it lacking with features I enjoyed with Mint KDE,
I can always use Xfce and be able to run my applications with no issues.
I also use Cinnamon, but the screen casting seems to have issues like flickering issue in the result.
OSSwitcher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OSSwitcher »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:42 pm Adding it won't be much different between the three editions, but if you want to replace a desktop environment with KDE then the choice should be Xfce. Among the three that's the easiest to remove.
Hi xenopeek!
Is there any chance that you'll publish some instructions?
olafl

Post by olafl »

Thanks Clem and team! Great work those past years.

My input, aka. from a KDE user:
I used the DE since KDE 2 (early 2000's), so way before Mint was founded.
Admittedly KDE 4 was difficult to deal with; namely because the underlying technology (QT) got many big changes.

KDE 5 was also some big step into new territory but is now really stable and of great quality.
I can see how a KDE desktop was using that many resources when the Mint team had their core knowledge in the Gnome flavors.
Including the entire time of KDE 4 and the 1st year or two of KDE 5 (that included the 2016 LTS version).

I made the leap from Mint-KDE (2014, whichever name it had), to Kubuntu - as I need my Computer to work with it and NOT to tweak operating systems!
For those interested: Kubuntu is now a great distro. Reading with sadness that you guys dropped KDE I first tried Mate and Cinanmon live - and then Kubuntu.
My system was fully productive quickly after install. Including inheriting the /home partition including closed source software and all.

So: KDE lovers coming from Mint-KDE: Try Kubuntu. It is likely that you love it.
Heck - they even have a "Minty" theme for ya to install!

----

I donated twice to Mint and would like to thank Clem once more for their work.
No hard feelings on my part - I do understand their rationale.
But now it is time to move on! I need my PC professionally and love my KDE desktop and therefore swiched to Kubuntu - and there it is for me again. Modern, polished, stable, set up to my needs with NOT much tweaking (though you can tweak on KDE).

Good bye everyone (or see you elsewhere) and good luck.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”