End of KDE

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Re: End of KDE

Post by chiefjim »

xenopeek wrote: All other editions of Linux Mint 18.x just use the Ubuntu repositories for installing and updating KDE packages.
Does this mean that although I am using Linux Mint I'll still be able to use Kmymoney if it remains available in the correct Ubuntu series repositories? Which hopefully would also provide access to the needed dependencies?
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Yes you can.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The only change is that there won't be an ISO file with a Linux Mint KDE installer after Linux Mint 18.3. There is no change in what KDE software and packages are available on Linux Mint, now or in the future.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

xenopeek wrote:The only change is that there won't be an ISO file with a Linux Mint KDE installer after Linux Mint 18.3. There is no change in what KDE software and packages are available on Linux Mint, now or in the future.
Thanks. That clarifies the issue for me.
SuperSapien
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SuperSapien »

xenopeek wrote:To be clear, there still will be a 18.3 KDE release but that will indeed be the last one—e.g., Linux Mint 19 won't have a KDE edition, though you can still quite easily install KDE on top of it.
OK how do we install KDE on top of lets say Cinnamon? :?:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

SuperSapien wrote:OK how do we install KDE on top of lets say Cinnamon? :?:
As noted earlier in this topic by one of the Cinnamon developers, he recommends you installed KDE on top of MATE or Xfce. Cinnamon and KDE might butt heads.

Around the release of Linux Mint 19 I'll write a guide on how to cleanly add KDE on top of Linux Mint 19 Xfce—choosing Xfce as that has the smallest footprint and is easiest to remove if one would want to make it KDE only.
imhere

Post by imhere »

is it possible, that you create a PPA or something like that, where i can easy install the linuxmint updatemanager to kubuntu or kdeneon?
SuperSapien
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SuperSapien »

xenopeek wrote:
SuperSapien wrote:OK how do we install KDE on top of lets say Cinnamon? :?:
As noted earlier in this topic by one of the Cinnamon developers, he recommends you installed KDE on top of MATE or Xfce. Cinnamon and KDE might butt heads.

Around the release of Linux Mint 19 I'll write a guide on how to cleanly add KDE on top of Linux Mint 19 Xfce—choosing Xfce as that has the smallest footprint and is easiest to remove if one would want to make it KDE only.
One more question will this guide also show us how to replace all of the XFCE apps with KDE ones such as Dolphin?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Yup. Replace Xfce and all Xfce programs with KDE and KDE programs. End result would be as if there was a Linux Mint 19 KDE edition and you installed that :wink:
Schallaven

Post by Schallaven »

I am very sure that sooner or later someone will create an inofficial KDE-iso of Linux Mint you can simply download and install :)
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Why in the flying FRAK would anyone want to continue to support a distro that does not want to support their preferred DE???

It's ridiculous.

When my 18.2 KDE goes EOL I will happily jump ship. I already went back to Ubuntu from Mint once because no one here could solve the problem I was having. I won't hesitate to do it again. Or maybe Neon.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

There is still Mint 18.3 KDE to come so it's not over yet.

Some reasons for sticking with Mint are familiarity, decent tools and the great community we have here. I notice that some who no longer use Mint still contribute to this forum.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

Has a lifetime been projected for Mint KDE 18.3 yet? And have any tutorials been posted on how to us Mate or XFCE as a base for a "hybrid" KDE? I really like using activities if that will be possible.

I am still playing with other distros and have only found one (Manjaro KDE) that even comes close. For now, for me, it looks like 18.2 to 18.3 is still my best bet at this time.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Jim Hauser wrote:Has a lifetime been projected for Mint KDE 18.3 yet?
Same as the other Linux Mint 18.x releases: you'll receive updates till April 2021. However, the maintainers of the KDE packages in the Ubuntu/Kubuntu repositories provide support only till April 2019 (source: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/Rel ... t_lifespan). How big of an issue it is for you that KDE packages will receive no updates after April 2019 will determine if that is the end date for you or April 2021.
Jim Hauser wrote:And have any tutorials been posted on how to us Mate or XFCE as a base for a "hybrid" KDE? I really like using activities if that will be possible.
There's no urgency as we still have Linux Mint 18.3 KDE on the horizon but for sure, if there is interest, I'll be happy to do a guide on how to properly install KDE on Linux Mint 19 Xfce and optionally remove Xfce afterwards. To be done around the release of Linux Mint 19.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

xenopeek wrote:
Jim Hauser wrote:I'll be happy to do a guide on how to properly install KDE on Linux Mint 19 Xfce and optionally remove Xfce afterwards. To be done around the release of Linux Mint 19.
That would be splendid. If possible, could you find out and perhaps detail how the Mint team avoid or reduce full screen video lag when another application is started and a compositor is active? I've had no end of trouble with video lag when starting another application on every other distro I've tried, yet it runs perfectly on Mint. To avoid the lag I have to turn off compositing but that creates ugly screen artifacts.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Sgthawker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sgthawker »

xenopeek wrote: There's no urgency as we still have Linux Mint 18.3 KDE on the horizon but for sure, if there is interest, I'll be happy to do a guide on how to properly install KDE on Linux Mint 19 Xfce and optionally remove Xfce afterwards. To be done around the release of Linux Mint 19.
I will be glad to vote for the guide to create a sudo LM 19 KDE. (pun intended). :D
LM21.1 KDE/LM21.1 Cin/ UEFI Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Ryzen 7 5800X, GTX 3060, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe
LM21.1 KDE/LM21.1 Cin/ UEFI on STRIX laptop, i7700 HQ, GTX 1060, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Whether or not I personally use or even like KDE, it is my belief that competition and alternatives are normally a very good thing. GNU+Linux by definition gives users the greatest possible amount of flexibility through both enabling them to do what they want, and simultaneously not actively preventing them from doing what they want. Otherwise, the moment a distro said "No more XYZ desktop environment" the users would have absolutely no alternatives but to use what was still supported, or abandon that distro in favor of another one.

The fact that one can add whatever desktop environment one wants to whatever existing, in-place distro they are using serves the double benefit, in my view, of allowing that distro's maintainers to only have to focus on what they need to really worry about that is distro-specific, instead of contending with other, outside distractions.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

phd21 wrote:Hi "xenopeek", and all the Linux Mint Developers,
Of the various KDE operating systems, which one(s) do you and other Linux Mint developers recommend? Kubuntu, OpenSUSE, Neon, etc...?

Thank you again to all Linux Mint developers and maintainers for these wonderful free computer operating systems.
First, ditto on that last item. It had/has to be a bear to keep up with kde.

Second, opensuse leap in production; tumbleweed in test. Others: PCLinuxOS, Fedora (Hopefully these issues are resolved).

Third, you can search at distrowatch for "Desktop interface" = "kde plasma".

I have to decide if I like the distribution more than the desktop. It's complicated by, do I really like kde 5, as much as kde 4, 3.
kimba

Post by kimba »

Fred Barclay wrote:
z31fanatic wrote:Oh no, Jedonice is going to have a meltdown. :lol:
I immediately started wondering what he's thinking the moment I read the news. :mrgreen:
He's going to say he was right."But what happens when GIMP is decided to be be too techie for it to be included in Mint? Or K3B? Or X-Sane? Or the whole of KDE? ("Too many config options. Users will get confused...)"
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

kimba wrote:But what happens when GIMP is decided to be be too techie for it to be included in Mint? Or K3B? Or X-Sane? Or the whole of KDE?
If not installed by default, all of these are available for easy installation from the package base repositories used on Linux Mint and LMDE. What software is installed by default by the Linux Mint installer ISO doesn't affect what further software is available for installation on Linux Mint. Retiring a Linux Mint ISO doesn't change what is in the Ubuntu or Debian package base repositories.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”