End of KDE

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
northwood

End of KDE

Post by northwood »

Just wanted to say thank you for taking KDE all the way to 18.2 and to say how sorry I was to read that you are discontinuing it. I understand, but had to voice my feelings.

Best regards et Salut

Robin
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: End of KDE

Post by xenopeek »

To be clear, there still will be a 18.3 KDE release but that will indeed be the last one—e.g., Linux Mint 19 won't have a KDE edition, though you can still quite easily install KDE on top of it. For those that missed the announcement about this, see the monthly news: https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3418

Linux Mint 18.x will receive security updates till mid 2021 but mind that the KDE packages maintained by Kubuntu are only supported till mid 2019 (source: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/Rel ... t_lifespan). So those that want a Linux distro with a dedicated KDE edition have some time to explore alternatives.
Last edited by xenopeek on Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: corrected information about support period
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

I think it's a wise decision but it is a shame that we'll potentially lose a portion of the community. I would be interested to hear what KDE users plan on doing moving forward.
northwood

Post by northwood »

xenopeek wrote:To be clear, there still will be a 18.3 KDE release but that will indeed be the last one—e.g., Linux Mint 19 won't have a KDE edition, though you can still quite easily install KDE on top of it. For those that missed the announcement about this, see the monthly news: https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3418

Linux Mint 18.x will receive security updates till mid 2019. So those that want a Linux distro with a dedicated KDE edition have some time to explore alternatives.
Yes, I did read that, but ultimately (there's a pun in that word) I will switch to Mate or Cinnamon .
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "xenopeek", and all the Linux Mint Developers,

I too am surprised and saddened to read this news, but I was not totally shocked by it. I think that the Linux Mint team has done a wonderful job with all editions of Linux Mint including their KDE versions.

Since the Linux Mint developers started using the "Kubuntu" PPA as part of Linux Mint KDE, why not keep doing that?
xenopeek wrote:To be clear, there still will be a 18.3 KDE release but that will indeed be the last one—e.g., Linux Mint 19 won't have a KDE edition, though you can still quite easily install KDE on top of it.

Linux Mint 18.x will receive security updates till mid 2019. So those that want a Linux distro with a dedicated KDE edition have some time to explore alternatives.
What are the best instructions for easily adding KDE on top of a Linux Mint edition, and which edition would be the best base for doing that Cinnamon, Mate, or Xfce? Will Linux Mint Cinnamon, Mate, and Xfce still have access to some excellent KDE applications like the "Kdenlive" video editor, etc...?

Of the various KDE operating systems, which one(s) do you and other Linux Mint developers recommend? Kubuntu, OpenSUSE, Neon, etc...?
https://community.kde.org/Distributions

Thank you again to all Linux Mint developers and maintainers for these wonderful free computer operating systems.
Last edited by phd21 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

As per usual +1 Xenopeek. :)

Yep agree with him if someone really wants ( has to have Mint + KDE) no doubt there's a way to get it done. Would take some time/effort but how bad do people want it ?? If you want extra geek cred and good karma pts. Methodically document the process as you go through it and share it with the rest the Mint community to help them ease their way along into KDE'ifying their favorite Mint installs too. ;)

Btw: Forget KDE, where is the openbox version of LM !?!?!?!?! Messing around. :P
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

xenopeek wrote:Linux Mint 18.x will receive security updates till mid 2019. So those that want a Linux distro with a dedicated KDE edition have some time to explore alternatives.
I think you're wrong. Mint 17.x get updates until April 2019, Mint 18.x will get them until April 2021
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

phd21 wrote:What are the best instructions for easily adding KDE on top of a Linux Mint edition, and which edition would be the best base for doing that Cinnamon, Mate, or Xfce?
Adding it won't be much different between the three editions, but if you want to replace a desktop environment with KDE then the choice should be Xfce. Among the three that's the easiest to remove.

As for instructions, I'd be happy to cover that in detail once Linux Mint 19 is available :wink: For now all Linux Mint 18.x releases have a dedicated KDE edition.
phd21 wrote:Will Linux Mint Cinnamon, Mate, and Xfce still have access to some excellent KDE applications like the "Kdenlive" video editor, etc...?
Dropping the KDE edition doesn't impact availability of KDE programs in the repositories. You can still install KDE programs on the other editions, same as now.
phd21 wrote:Of the various KDE operating systems, which one(s) do you and other Linux Mint developers recommend? Kubuntu, OpenSUSE, Neon, etc...?
https://community.kde.org/Distributions
If we skip the choice of installing KDE on Linux Mint 19, my first thought would go to Kubuntu. If you're using Linux Mint 18.x KDE you're already using software maintained by the Kubuntu developers. It is (obviously) also Ubuntu based and so you don't need to relearn how the package management system works, the filesystem layout and conventions, and you continue to benefit from full compatibility with Ubuntu for programs and games available for Ubuntu from outside the repositories
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "xenopeek",

As usual, Thank You for your prompt and informative reply... :)
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Am sure it'll be a kickbutt write-up, if Xenopeek finds the time to do it. Read through the link about the discontinuation, don't know if it's a pro or con for LM HQ but am sure they've got their reasons, equally sure they'll keep on putting out nixy-minty goodness for Mint's users.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

A small developers' team has to focus its efforts, for the sake of efficiency.... So I understand the decision to drop the KDE edition.

But I'm convinced that with the help of good tutorials, it'll be easy to give Mint 19 a good KDE desktop....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Oh no, Jedonice is going to have a meltdown. :lol:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

lmintnewb2 wrote: Read through the link about the discontinuation, don't know if it's a pro or con for LM HQ but am sure they've got their reasons, equally sure they'll keep on putting out nixy-minty goodness for Mint's users.
There's a lot work involved with making each edition. Selecting packages and versions to use, setting default configuration and user preferences, selecting artwork and themes, and so on. Building the ISO with all that. Testing it. Redo that cycle to fix issues found. Having the quality assurance team do their tests and redoing the cycle once more to fix issues found. Public beta and more fixing of issues before a final release cycle is done. Phew :) This is time that the developers want to spend on developing Cinnamon, the Mint tools, X-Apps and other components shared by Cinnamon, MATE and Xfce.
Pjotr wrote:But I'm convinced that with the help of good tutorials, it'll be easy to give Mint 19 a good KDE desktop....
We'll get that covered :wink: KDE has turned into something quite nice and it will be nice to continue to be able to offer it as an option for people that prefer it.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

xenopeek wrote:
Pjotr wrote:But I'm convinced that with the help of good tutorials, it'll be easy to give Mint 19 a good KDE desktop....
We'll get that covered :wink: KDE has turned into something quite nice and it will be nice to continue to be able to offer it as an option for people that prefer it.
I'll leave that to you.... KDE is not my thing. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

KDE is neither my piece of cake ;) But it's also sorry that LMDE 3 has no MATE version, although I understand Mint's / Clem's decision
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Yeah Xenopeek, get the general gist of it and any decisions the people who do the heavy lifting behind Mint make, always know it's not done for giggles. Just wondering how big a slice KDE-Mint users are or how many Mint may lose to the choice to drop it. Though they do the work and reasonably enough get to call the shots. Besides, am sure your Kde how-to will be top shelf. As I tend to overthink things though, wonder how many will bother to actually follow it and or do something for themselves.

Dedicated Kde-Mint users and those with an actual interest in gnu/Linux sure but seriously doubting the majority which tend to like things wrapped in a pretty bow and handed on a silver platter will. Man hours ? BUGS, limited resources ?!?! Be damned just hand over my Mint w KDE ! Arghhhh ! Ah no matter ... decisions been made and no matter what certain the how-to will be a fine work of Nixmanship.

Plus the one and only time I've used something with Kde was 2002ish anyway. :D Oops ... not that it was a bad experience either. Just prefer the other end of the resources pool.
Last edited by lmintnewb2 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MadmanRB
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MadmanRB »

There is always Maui linux

https://mauilinux.org/
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

z31fanatic wrote:Oh no, Jedonice is going to have a meltdown. :lol:
I immediately started wondering what he's thinking the moment I read the news. :mrgreen:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

KDE people getting a taste of how we 32-bitters (pun intended) will feel when 2020 comes.

Will Plasma have room for Mint?
minitux

Post by minitux »

KDE people have a lot of alternatives, the 32 bitters do not have alternatives, there are a lot of distros with KDE

it's a lot different....

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”