End of KDE

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: End of KDE

Post by JosephM »

For those of you talking about installing a Mint version and then adding Plasma desktop to it: I would avoid starting with the Cinnamon edition. I know most here usually say not to install multiple DE's but I do it all the time for testing purposes and it works fine. The two that do not seem to play well together and I've heard from a few sources can be problematic are Plasma and Cinnamon.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Retic1959

Post by Retic1959 »

This is sad news for me , LM18.2 KDE has performed flawlessly on my system , after running XFCE and Cinnamon neither are my choice as a DE , I know my way around Manjaro well enough to where I'll probably go back to having an on metal installation of Manjaro KDE , In the meantime I'm gonna hang on to my LM KDE as long as possible hoping for a change of mind on this decision and I'll give Kubuntu the once over as well. :(
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Bolle1961 wrote:I think you're wrong. Mint 17.x get updates until April 2019, Mint 18.x will get them until April 2021
Let's split it out to make it more clear: This is because Canonical doesn't provide support for KDE packages. All KDE packages, whether from the official repositories or the Kubuntu backports PPA, are supported by Kubuntu and they only provide 3 years of support for the 16.04 LTS package base.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I'll just switch to Kubuntu. No problem.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

They can all come join the XFCE side of the force :D

"May the mouse be with you."
irishwoody

Post by irishwoody »

I 'm sad to see end of Mint KDE.
I've hopped to Arch with KDE about a year ago from Mint KDE - as I always felt mint KDE edition was the unloved flavour.
The other edition I used to use was the Mint Mate edition but Ubuntu mate have now got the mojo here and the user base.
Mint was a safe haven since the madness of unity and stuff since ubuntu 12.04.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Hoser Rob wrote:I'll just switch to Kubuntu. No problem.
Tough decision. I ran Kubuntu on my desktop for a years, and Mint KDE everywhere else. Finally switched to KDE everywhere.

Hard choices coming up. Switch to XFCE/MAte Mint, or go back to Kubuntu. Even Ubuntu MAte is a solid distro these days.

I don't like the idea of pulling in KDE on top of Mint. If I'm going to do that, might as well start with Ubuntu minimal or serevr as the base OS.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

If you don't run a server the minimal iso is the best. Install Kubuntu desktop and after installation install the Mint repos for typical Mint programs
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

I've heard it mentioned somewhere that the SolydXK distro provides Mint tools integrated on top of a KDE desktop. Haven't confirmed this myself, but may be worth checking out for the KDE refugees.
https://solydxk.com/
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

Heh, not been on the forums for a long time but was sad to see the Mint KDE iso being scrapped.

I moved to Manjaro KDE a long time ago due to lack of KDE love from the Mint team (no criticism implied, it just wasn't their prime focus) and it is a very good distro for those wishing to have a good KDE environment.
Though as some have already said it's no issue to install the KDE packages on Mint.

It's a shame but that said I don't know why Mint would support anything other than Cinnamon, it is a great DE. I think the same of Solus supporting other DE's than Budgie, another great DE.

Best wishes to the Mint team :)
MadmanRB
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MadmanRB »

Cinnamon is Clems baby, KDE never really was all that good on Mint to be honest.
The thing is Cinnamon in my opinion has shaped up to be a better desktop than KDE, its rock solid (unlike plasma sometimes), has a lot of great extensions, and is very feature rich.
Sure Cinnamon still has its fare share of bugs but I think Plasma 5 at least in Ubuntu based distros is extremely buggy.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MintBean wrote:I think it's a wise decision but it is a shame that we'll potentially lose a portion of the community.[/quot]
I won't be going elsewhere. The Mint community is what will keep me here. It's a great place to be.
I would be interested to hear what KDE users plan on doing moving forward.
I moved to manjaro last night...

Code: Select all

[catweazel@Fartblast ~]$ plasmashell --version
plasmashell 5.11.2
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MadmanRB wrote:Cinnamon is Clems baby, KDE
That's pretty much all you got right. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Mint KDE.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

catweazel wrote:I moved to manjaro last night...
Sorry to see you go. Will you still stick around these forums?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MintBean wrote:Will you still stick around these forums?
Yes, the community here is great.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

catweazel wrote: I moved to manjaro last night...

Code: Select all

[catweazel@Fartblast ~]$ plasmashell --version
plasmashell 5.11.2
As I recall Manjaro has a gorgeous KDE right out of the box!
(Personally I've been using Arch this past month or two, but I've stuck with my old favourite MATE).
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

catweazel wrote:
MintBean wrote:Will you still stick around these forums?
Yes, the community here is great.
Good to hear it. Antergos is also worth a look if you haven't finalised on Manjaro. It has KDE out of the box also and I found it just as stable (in fact moreso) than Manjaro - based on admittedly limited experience.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Fred Barclay wrote: As I recall Manjaro has a gorgeous KDE right out of the box!
Yes, it does.
(Personally I've been using Arch this past month or two, but I've stuck with my old favourite MATE).
Arch will be my next distro once I've got enough experience in majaro.
jglen490

Mint Giving Up KDE?

Post by jglen490 »

I've heard that Mint will no longer use KDE in the near future. Is that true?

It doesn't really bother me since I use Cinnamon on my laptop and I like it. Just curious, and wondering what may be the cause for that decision.
Last edited by xenopeek on Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: same topic, merged here
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mint Giving Up KDE?

Post by all41 »

Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”