Amazon Mint Installs

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lexon

Amazon Mint Installs

Post by lexon »

I am sure this will get responses.
I bought a USB flash drive a couple years ago with Mint 18.0, 32 bit and 64 bit Cinnamon and Mate. I use 64 bit. Came with Mint logo on label. I don’t like messing with Command line so this works just fine. I installed Cinnamon and Mint just fine. Both installs saw me router just fine during the install.

Couple months ago I bought one one with Mint 18.2, 64 bit, XFCE, Cinnamon, KDE and Mate. Nice combo.
XFCE, I see Command Line, Help for list of commands.
Cinnamon, No room on drive.
KDE, I can install.
Mate, no room on drive.
Paper work shows someone made this up in his house.
Both came from Amazon.
At least I can try KDE. The others might be fixed but not going to bother.
The flash drive does not see the router. Minor detail.
The drive has plenty of room.

L
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: Amazon Mint Installs

Post by michael louwe »

@ lexon, .......
lexon wrote:.
Why not DIY.? It's quite easy, really. No need Command Line Interface or the Terminal to create a Live LM USB Flash-drive with the Linux Mint OS. In fact LM 17.x and LM 18.x come preinstalled with the USB Image Writer program.
... Eg refer to the links on the how-to's ... https://unetbootin.github.io/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... mImgFiles/
https://www.fossmint.com/3-best-gui-ena ... -on-linux/

In short;
1. download the LM ISO file to a default or chosen folder, eg the Downloads folder,
2. install Unetbootin or Etcher, launch Unetbootin or Etcher or USB Image Writer,
3. plug in an empty or pre-formatted USB Flash-drive of at least 2GB, and if needed unmount it(>double-click Computer >right-click on the USB Flash-drive >Unmount),
4. use the program to "burn" or write the LM ISO file onto the USB Flash-drive.

Ensure that the "Device for burning ISO file" is the USB Flash-drive(eg dev/sdb) and not the internal hard-drive(eg dev/sda). While on the ISO burning program, select the LM ISO file for burning by clicking the "browse" or "...." button, go to the Downloads folder and double-click on the LM ISO file.
Penn

Re: Amazon Mint Installs

Post by Penn »

michael louwe wrote:2. install Unetbootin or Etcher, launch Unetbootin or Etcher or USB Image Writer,
Why? If Mint is already installed USB Image Writer and if needed USB Stick Formatter in the Menu are easy to use and have always worked for me. Unetbootin and others might work but many have failed me in the past. In fact Unetbootin didn't work for me with Mint 17 or Ubuntu 14.04 nor did it work for 3 or 4 other Linux distros. Odd that it isn't in the repos unless others have had issues with it too.

I do agree though, no need to buy a USB when it is easy to make your own USB install media.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”