Linux Mint 18.3

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Palladini921

Linux Mint 18.3

Post by Palladini921 »

I just download, burnt to a USB Thumb Drive Linux Mint 3 Sylvia Beta and installed on My Video Editing Beast.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Linux Mint 18.3

Post by tdockery97 »

And????
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

..and nothing. It's just one of those moments when someone is too excited to NOT open their Christmas present.
We'll let this person be.
Palladini921

Post by Palladini921 »

I installed it a second drive and my computer had issues, so I opened my computer back up and disconnected a few hard drives and put my USB Thumb drive in my USB start button, and started it up and reinstalled the OS, that is what I am operating on now. More to come in the following days folks. I need to add a few Programs and see how they work, if I find any issues, I will chime in here as soon as I can.

Yes, My start utton, I have moved to top of my desktop, and it has 2 USB ports as well as 2 LED lights, on and HD acitivity this is what I have here - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Computer- ... SwnNBXWuJx
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

This should be in one of the chat forums. It's not a support question.
afineman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by afineman »

Greetings All

I too have been running 18.3 Cinnamon for a bit now and these are my impressions after a few days (I got such CRAP the last time I posted about a Beta (18.2) before it was announced, I decided this time to keep quiet).

A refresher, this computer is a HTPC that is on from the moment I get home until I go to bed, Netflix, Amazon, other online video sources, dual TV tuner cards being run by Kaffiene, video editing/recording, stuff still has to be loaded and tested, Skype comes to mind.

I went from 18.1 to this 18.3, I ended up removing 18.2 because of OnBoard, I didn't realize how much I used/liked it until it was gone but I'm glad to say OnBoard is back, well kind of. As of last night there was no way to create an icon for the panel (I couldn't find one) so I put the virtual keyboard in the panel and edited the icon to launch OnBoard, this works great (for me any ways).

As with 18.2, 18.3 put the sound icon all the way to the right, the trick is, remove it from the panel then re-install it in the panel, it will be closer to where you're use to seeing it.

the 4.10 kernel works fine with my system The Nvida driver is up to 3.85 now (I think) as with all previous versions of Mint, all my hardware was recognized right out of the box (I'll upload system stats when I get home).

I installed VMWare to run Win 7, Oh another trick. When using VMWare and switching to another version/distro just copy the VMWare folder in file manager to a back up disk (my folder was 32G in size), install VMWare in your fresh drive and copy the backed up folder into the new file manager and everything will be there (no more re-installing).

I see a few new bells and whistles but won't go play with them till everything is back to my liking (this take a while because this PC is the only one where we get entertainment form so once the Netflixes and the tuners are working playing is only done in free time).

Unlike 18.2 I'll be sticking with this one, I can get quite annoyed rather quickly (as I did with 18.2) but so far it is smooth sailing and no real hiccups.

Well, till later tonight

AFM
Palladini921

Post by Palladini921 »

Well, I have opened Software Manager and got quite a few apps downloaded and installed. all good so far!
Palladini921

Post by Palladini921 »

Well I have been running Linux Mint 18.3 for 3 days now and I have no issues in any way with this OS

My computer- Asus P6P87 MB, 64 GB HyperX RAM, 2 Nvidia Graphics Cards hooked by SLI Cable, 4 2 TB Hard drive, no run in raid. Intel I7 CPU
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

I haven't played with the beta but I really like the look of this update. Timeshift and Flatpak support are the headliners for me although there are plenty of other worthwhile improvements.

Here's an overview from Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPpJUUKYbiQ
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Meh... felt left out of the action so I've upgraded to the beta. Not bad at all, certainly solid enough to function as my daily driver.
wiz22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wiz22 »

Just wanted to say I too have installed the 18.3 Beta Cinnamon and it works quite nice, like the other guy said the volume button is on bottom right corner, but I dont mind as much, I usually change volume on my function key on laptop and they all work.

One issue I had was installing stuff on software center, I clicked on steam, it install, then nothing...it was nowhere to be found...but after a few reboots I tried again and everything seems to work...I did install several things at once so maybe thats the reason it didnt work at first (installed drivers and copying other stuff from Windows HD).

No issues as of yet...but this is Linux so sooner or later something will brake :D
lisabonne citadel

Post by lisabonne citadel »

The future of the operating system will be the substitution of the light gray or white background in some css themes for transparency and blur effect with adjustable configuration.
I want to say that I would like to see Mint being a pioneer when using RedHat scripts that have been studying this subject for some time.
Have all applications with transparent background and enjoy. Is not this the future not too long?

I test 18.3 and like always is perfect.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I installed LM 18.3 Cinnamon 64 on an Acer Aspire1-722 today and it runs nicely. A little slow with 4 GIG DDR3 10600. The 1 GHZ Athlon X2 doesn't help.
evilmrb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by evilmrb »

I've been using the beta of 18.3 MATE (64-bit) for several days now after being a long-time user of 17.3 MATE (32-bit). So far, I really like the latest version.

I must say the decision to simplify the backup tool is not one I agree with though. As far as I can tell there is no easy way to back up to a network share and, by default, the . files and folders are not included in the backup. That's fine for the tech-savvy but others will be unaware that their Thunderbird and Firefox profiles haven't been backed up. The loss of that data could be catastrophic for many people.

Updates are happening several times a day and I'm looking forward to a stable release, at which point I will zap 17.3 forever.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”