Cinnamon app to erase a windows drive C? [SOLVED]

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Cinnamon app to erase a windows drive C? [SOLVED]

Post by wallyUSA »

I need to erase a win10 c drive on another PC. Is there an app in Cinnamon (booting from USB) that I can use to erase everything on c: ? This is for a friend who uses Windows. :?:
Tx
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
WharfRat

Re: Cinnamon app to erase a windows drive C?

Post by WharfRat »

Why not just use sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4M status=progress

Make sure /dev/sda is the correct block device.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

WharfRat wrote:Why not just use sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4M status=progress

Make sure /dev/sda is the correct block device.
Not sure I understand this. I have little experience with CLI.
If I boot his Windows (only) machine w/ Cinnamon on USB, will the /dev/xxx info show up? How to display it?
He has no interest in Linux, just trying to erase his HDD for him.

It will be some time before I can try your example, just thought I'd ask the question while I am waiting.

TX
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

If there is only one HDD then it will be /dev/sda

You can run sudo blkid to see its partitions and/or sudo fdisk -l

Take a look at http://how-to.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_wip ... n_in_Linux
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, wallyUSA.

Every Linux Mint live system comes with the graphical application gparted. gparted can be used to create, modify or delete disk partitions.
As WharfRat mentioned you will have to make sure that you identify the right disk device on the Windows machine, because "drive C:" is a Windows term. In gparted it will very likely be some /dev/<devicename>.
Cf. gparted

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

Thanks guys, this is probably all I need. Link was very informative.
Wally :wink:

DAMIEN1307

Re: Cinnamon app to erase a windows drive C? [SOLVED]

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi folks...lets see if im reading this correctly...wallyusa says "I need to erase a win10 c drive on another PC"...it belongs to wallys friend...wally says "If I boot his Windows (only) machine w/ Cinnamon on USB, will the /dev/xxx info show up? How to display it?
He has no interest in Linux, just trying to erase his HDD for him."...if im reading this correctly, this would mean that his friends computer is WINDOWS ONLY installed on his harddrive...wally wants to erase his friends windows hdd so its a clean hardrive with nothing on it since his friend does not want linux at this time...just a blank disk for now...now i see it asked to run 2 commands on this windows only computer..."sudo blkid" and "sudo fdisk -l"...the code given to wally to erase a windows operating system on a harddrive with only windows on it is..."sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4M status=progress"...if i read this correctly than is it really possible that linux sudo commands for linux terminal will actually work on a windows only formatted hardrive?...i understand gparted for this operation but not these linux commands for the linux terminal...did i miss something?...if so, "mia culpa mia culpa"...thats a new one on me, but hey, i can be taught...DAMIEN
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:hi folks...lets see if im reading this correctly...wallyusa says "I need to erase a win10 c drive on another PC"...it belongs to wallys friend...wally says "If I boot his Windows (only) machine w/ Cinnamon on USB, will the /dev/xxx info show up? How to display it?
He has no interest in Linux, just trying to erase his HDD for him."...if im reading this correctly, this would mean that his friends computer is WINDOWS ONLY installed on his harddrive...wally wants to erase his friends windows hdd so its a clean hardrive with nothing on it since his friend does not want linux at this time...just a blank disk for now...now i see it asked to run 2 commands on this windows only computer..."sudo blkid" and "sudo fdisk -l"...the code given to wally to erase a windows operating system on a harddrive with only windows on it is..."sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4M status=progress"...if i read this correctly than is it really possible that linux sudo commands for linux terminal will actually work on a windows only formatted hardrive?...i understand gparted for this operation but not these linux commands for the linux terminal...did i miss something?...if so, "mia culpa mia culpa"...thats a new one on me, but hey, i can be taught...DAMIEN
Get it now? :)
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

Dban would certainly work as well, if just looking to wipe the HD of Windows and it's structure. Download .iso and put on a properly formatted USB stick.

https://dban.org/
Custom Antec Outside tower w/Mint 20.2
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 39/Mint 19.2/Mint 20.2
Advantech TPC-1551T w/LinuxLite
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”