A question about LM Distros.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Spud1200

A question about LM Distros.

Post by Spud1200 »

At the minute I'm currently using 17.3 LM Cinnamon . Do you think I need to upgrade. I'm running it on all my machines and I'll be perfectly honestly I simply CBA too go around every machine upgrading the OS. So I'm thinking do I need to upgrade at all. No way I'm distro hopping just too keep up too date with the absolute latest when LM is supported for a number of years after its release. But then again I'm not sure if I should upgrade to the likes of 18.2 stable even.

How many of you gyes are running an older version of LM and its working fine for you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: A question about LM Distros.

Post by WharfRat »

You have until April 2019 to decide what to do as per the support schedule.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I have 6 machines running LM17.3, I also have 2 running 18, 2 running 18.1, 5 running 18.2, and 1 running 18.3. All cinnamon. Mostly 64, with 4 32 bit. All are running fine.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I'm still running 17.3 on all my computers, but whenever I do an install for a friend I install 18.x. I will upgrade before 17.x is out of support, but I'm in no rush.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I run every version of Mint with Cinnamon, which is still supported in a number of test systems, but none beats 17.3, which is and will stay as my production system. Newest can also mean newest bugs and regressions; why should one hunt for them?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

I'm running 18.3 Sylvia on all of my machines, including the production machines. All are running very well.

As always with the .3 edition of a Mint series, almost all annoying usability bugs have been eliminated. Both in the Mint-only packages and in the underlying Ubuntu 16.04 LTS codebase.

Furthermore, there are important new innovations in 18.3. Of which the exciting Flatpak infrastructure is, in my opinion, the most important.

In short: you should definitely consider an upgrade. Why miss out on the beautiful new goodies? :)
As you're currently running a Mint from the 17 series, this can best be done by means of a clean installation of 18.3 ("dirty" upgrading is only commendable within a series).
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

The video card is the real deal breaker. For intel and nvidia, 18.X is great. For AMD, stickies will explain which generation best fits the hardware. I got 17.3 on my media center pc because of AMD, and 18.1 on desktop and netbook.
H.Remedy

Post by H.Remedy »

Citizen229 wrote:The video card is the real deal breaker.
I also discovered a massively improved Bluetooth functionality when I upgraded from 18.0 to 18.2. Not sure if this was also the case with 18.1.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Mint 17.x is supported up to April 2019, so no, you don't "have to" upgrade if you don't want to.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”