FireFox 57 getting slow

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Re: FireFox 57 getting slow

Post by Lucap »

about:preferences

Put that in your address bar and then scroll down to performance.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

Lucap wrote:about:preferences

Put that in your address bar and then scroll down to performance.

All I have there is "Display only the latest 10s" and "Refresh automatically".

Below that are the open tabs listed with options to close or reload them. Clicking more or less doesn't provide any options.

BTW, no page currently is having problems. Could that be why there aren't any options for number of cores?

Edit: Sorry, I misread your post and was looking in about:performance and not about:preferences as you correctly suggested!
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Did you find out how many cores you was using?
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

Lucap wrote:Did you find out how many cores you was using?
Four content processes (not cores) which is the default.

From https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pe ... te]Content process limit: With Multiprocess Firefox, also called electrolysis or e10s , Firefox runs web content for all tabs separately from the main Firefox process for increased security and performance. Using multiple content processes can further increase performance and minimize the impact of content process crashes. You can modify this setting if multiprocess is enabled; however, having too many content processes can slow down your computer, and consequently, Firefox. The recommended maximum is four, but you can set up to seven. [/quote]
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Lucap wrote:Here's an interesting observation , i've not had a single case of slow down since being back on 18.3 but a couple of days ago i noticed that Mint Firefox was only using 1 core in options/performance where as my other installs such as Debian Sid defaulted to using 4 cores.

Well i changed Mint firefox to use 4 cores and after a couple of hours i started to have the same slow downs as before as i did with other distro's so i'm guessing some of us must have a bug with firefox using multiple cores?

Since i've gone back to using 1 core i've not had any issues again so others need to try it out to see if they have the same results?
Most of the time slowdowns in FF are caused by a misbehaving add-on but you should also try resetting FF, that often helps.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”