FireFox 57 getting slow

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

FireFox 57 getting slow

Post by Pepi »

Has anyone else noticed that the new FireFox 57 has a lag sometimes. I notice it when I'm typing an email or like typing here. I turned off No-Script because it was driving me crazy :lol: I was hoping it was the problem but I'm still seeing the lag off and on
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: FireFox 57 getting slow

Post by BigEasy »

I can confirm - there is lags in FF57 sometimes. Seldom, but it is. In my case this happens during the autoupdates of the add-ons. For example when Ublock's origin updates a lot of 3rd-party filters. I have to say it is not FF57 native lags. There was before 57 as well.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Royal-Mint

Post by Royal-Mint »

This what you get from hype firefox too much.
& the first thing that nobody aware that first ff 57 generation first run screen
used to be super laggy html5 animation water wallpaper video.
which embarrassed mozilla extremely & they quickly turn off into non animation water wallpaper.

but at least to be sure it reduce 30mb of ram usage from old firefox version.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

What :shock:
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

I haven't noticed lags with Firefox 57. But I started off with a new profile and just uBlock origin.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

I also get a lag sometimes and it's been slow for a long time...I think the Firefox Team believe their own PR now...and Ugly at best. :shock:
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I tried PaleMoon and it is lightning fast but looks like Chrome to me :lol:
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

Pepi wrote:I tried PaleMoon and it is lightning fast but looks like Chrome to me :lol:
There are two versions of Pale Moon now. You must have tried Basilisk Pale Moon which does have a tendency to look like Chrome or the old Australis Firefox before Quantum. The regular Pale Moon hasn't changed and does not look anything like Firefox Quantum, Chrome or Basilisk. And the regular Pale Moon is more customizable "within" the browser than either Firefox Quantum or Chrome.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

Pepi wrote:Has anyone else noticed that the new FireFox 57 has a lag sometimes. I notice it when I'm typing an email or like typing here. I turned off No-Script because it was driving me crazy :lol: I was hoping it was the problem but I'm still seeing the lag off and on
I have to agree that No Script causes more problems than it solves, at least for me. I gave up using it a long time ago.
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

When I first installed FF57, it was faster then the previous version. But now, sometimes it feels slow. No idea why. I also pretty much gave up on NoScript. There are just too many websites out there that use scripts, and you just wind up making exceptions at every site you visit.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

When i first used FF 57 i was deeply impressed but it's slowly starting to annoy me even though i'm trying to be forgiving towards it being the first release of Quantum.

I've had random screen scroll glitches ( including vertical breaks that i have never seen before ) and HTML5 playback is definitely not as smooth as it looks like it's dropping frames and when used heavily for a couple of hours it becomes sluggish as if the machine has run out of memory yet resources say that there is plenty of ram left?
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I see that the Hardware accelerator is turned on with FF57. I turned this off and a lot of my lagging is gone. My problem now is ... When I shutdown FF it appears to die but then later the Crash Windows appears. Just annoying really. Not sure if it's uBlock or FireJail doing it? These are the only extras running with FF

Code: Select all

Add-ons: uBlock0%40raymondhill.net:1.14.20,disable-media-wmf-nv12%40mozilla.org:1.1,followonsearch%40mozilla.com:0.9.6,screenshots%40mozilla.org:19.2.0,activity-stream%40mozilla.org:2017.11.07.1100-7f4e3634,shield-recipe-client%40mozilla.org:76.1,firefox%40getpocket.com:1.0.5,webcompat%40mozilla.org:1.1,onboarding%40mozilla.org:1.0,formautofill%40mozilla.org:1.0,aushelper%40mozilla.org:2.0,e10srollout%40mozilla.org:3.05,langpack-en-GB%40firefox.mozilla.org:57.0,%7B972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd%7D:57.0,langpack-en-ZA%40firefox.mozilla.org:57.0
AddonsShouldHaveBlockedE10s: 0
BuildID: 20171116103757
ContentSandboxCapabilities: 119
ContentSandboxCapable: 1
ContentSandboxLevel: 3
CrashTime: 1512002560
DOMIPCEnabled: 1
E10SCohort: webextensions-multiBucket4
EMCheckCompatibility: true
FramePoisonBase: 9223372036600930304
FramePoisonSize: 4096
InstallTime: 1511022298
MozCrashReason: MOZ_CRASH(Shutdown too long, probably frozen, causing a crash.)
Notes: Linux Mint 18.3 SylviaFP(D00-L1000-W00000000-T000) OpenGL: NVIDIA Corporation -- Quadro FX 1800/PCIe/SSE2 -- 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.102 -- texture_from_pixmap
WR? WR- 
ProductID: {ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}
ProductName: Firefox
ReleaseChannel: release
SafeMode: 0
SecondsSinceLastCrash: 1151
ShutdownProgress: profile-change-teardown
StartupCrash: 0
StartupTime: 1512001636
TelemetryEnvironment: {"build":{"applicationId":"{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}","applicationName":"Firefox","architecture":"x86-64","buildId":"20171116103757","version":"57.0","vendor":"Mozilla","platformVersion":"57.0","xpcomAbi":"x86_64-gcc3","hotfixVersion":null,"updaterAvailable":false},"partner":{"distributionId":"mint","distributionVersion":"1.0","partnerId":null,"distributor":null,"distributorChannel":null,"partnerNames":["mint "]},"system":{"memoryMB":5945,"virtualMaxMB":null,"cpu":{"count":4,"cores":4,"vendor":"GenuineIntel","family":6,"model":26,"stepping":5,"l2cacheKB":256,"l3cacheKB":8192,"speedMHz":2528,"extensions":["hasMMX","hasSSE","hasSSE2","hasSSE3","hasSSSE3","hasSSE4_1","hasSSE4_2"]},"os":{"name":"Linux","version":"4.10.0-40-generic","locale":"en-US"},"hdd":{"profile":{"model":null,"revision":null},"binary":{"model":null,"revision":null},"system":{"model":null,"revision":null}},"gfx":{"D2DEnabled":null,"DWriteEnabled":null,"ContentBackend":"Skia","adapters":[{"description":"NVIDIA Corporation -- Quadro FX 1800/PCIe/SSE2","vendorID":"NVIDIA Corporation","deviceID":"Quadro FX 1800/PCIe/SSE2","subsysID":null,"RAM":null,"driver":null,"driverVersion":"3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.102","driverDate":null,"GPUActive":true}],"monitors":[],"features":{"compositor":"basic","gpuProcess":{"status":"unused"}}},"appleModelId":null},"settings":{"attribution":{},"blocklistEnabled":true,"e10sEnabled":true,"e10sMultiProcesses":4,"e10sCohort":"webextensions-multiBucket4","telemetryEnabled":false,"locale":"en-US","update":{"channel":"release","enabled":true,"autoDownload":true},"userPrefs":{"browser.cache.disk.capacity":358400,"browser.newtabpage.enabled":false,"browser.newtabpage.enhanced":false,"browser.shell.checkDefaultBrowser":true,"browser.search.widget.inNavBar":true,"browser.startup.homepage":"<user-set>","dom.ipc.processCount":4,"layers.acceleration.disabled":true},"sandbox":{"effectiveContentProcessLevel":3},"addonCompatibilityCheckEnabled":true,"isDefaultBrowser":true,"defaultSearchEngine":"yahoo","defaultSearchEngineData":{"name":"Yahoo","loadPath":"jar:[app]/omni.ja!browser/yahoo.xml","origin":"default","submissionURL":"https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=ddc&hsimp=yhs-linuxmint&type=__alt__ddc_linuxmint_com&p="}},"profile":{"creationDate":17488},"experiments":{"e10sCohort":{"branch":"webextensions-multiBucket4"}},"addons":{"activeAddons":{"followonsearch@mozilla.com":{"version":"0.9.6","scope":1,"type":"extension","updateDay":17486,"isSystem":true,"isWebExtension":false,"multiprocessCompatible":true,"blocklisted":false,"description":null,"name":"Follow-on Search Telemetry","userDisabled":false,"appDisabled":false,"foreignInstall":false,"hasBinaryComponents":false,"installDay":17486},"screenshots@mozilla.org":{"version":"19.2.0","scope":1,"type":"extension","updateDay":17486,"isSystem":true,"isWebExtension":false,"multiprocessCompatible":true,"blocklisted":false,"description":null,"name":"Firefox Screenshots","userDisabled":false,"appDisabled":false,"foreignInstall":false,"hasBinaryComponents":false,"installDay":17486},"activity-stream@mozilla.org":{"version":"2017.11.07.1100-7f4e3634","scope":1,"type":"extension","updateDay":17486,"isSystem":true,"isWebExtension":false,"multiprocessCompatible":true,"blocklisted":false,"description":"A rich visual history feed and a reimagined home page make it easier than ever to find exactly what ","name":"Activity Stream","userDisabled":false,"appDisabled":false,"foreignInstall":false,"hasBinaryComponents":false,"installDay":17486},"shield-recipe-client@mozilla.org":{"version":"76.1","scope":1,"type":"extension","updateDay":17486,"isSystem":true,"isWebExtension":false,"multiprocessCompatible":true,"blocklisted":false,"description":"Client to download and run recipes for SHIELD, Heartbeat, etc.","name":"Shield Recipe Client","userDisabled":false,"appDisabled":false,"foreignInstall":false,"hasBinaryComponents":false,"installDay":17486},"firefox@getpocket.com":{"version":"1.0.5","scope":1,"type":"extension","updateDay":17486,"isSystem":true,"isWebExtension":false,"multiprocessCompatible":true,"blocklisted":false,"description":"When you find something you want to view later, put it in Pocket.","name":"Pocket","userDisabled":false,"appDisabled":false,"foreignInstall":false,"hasBinaryComponents":false,"installDay":17486},"webcompat@mozilla.org":{"version":"1.1","scope":1,"type":"extension","updateDay":17486,"isSystem":true,"isWebExtension":false,"multiprocessCompatible":true,"blocklisted":false,"description":"Urgent post-release fixes for web compatibility.","name":"Web Compat","userDisabled":false,"appDisabled":false,"foreignInstall":false,"hasBinaryComponents":false,"installDay":17486},"onboarding@mozilla.org":{"version":"1.0","scope":1,"type":"extension","updateDay":17486,"isSystem":true,"isWebExtension":false,"multiprocessCompatible":true,"blocklisted":false,"description":"Photon onboarding","name":"Photon onboarding","userDisabled":false,"appDisabled":false,"foreignInstall":false,"hasBinaryComponents":false,"installDay":17486},"formautofill@mozilla.org":{"version":"1.0","scope":1,"type":"extension","updateDay":17486,"isSystem":true,"isWebExtension":false,"multiprocessCompatible":true,"blocklisted":false,"description":"Autofill forms with saved profiles","name":"Form Autofill","userDisabled":false,"appDisabled":false,"foreignInstall":false,"hasBinaryComponents":false,"installDay":17486},"aushelper@mozilla.org":{"version":"2.0","scope":1,"type":"extension","updateDay":17486,"isSystem":true,"isWebExtension":false,"multiprocessCompatible":true,"blocklisted":false,"description":"Sets value(s) in the update url based on custom checks.","name":"Application Update Service Helper","userDisabled":false,"appDisabled":false,"foreignInstall":false,"hasBinaryComponents":false,"installDay":17486},"e10srollout@mozilla.org":{"version":"3.05","scope":1,"type":"extension","updateDay":17486,"isSystem":true,"isWebExtension":false,"multiprocessCompatible":true,"blocklisted":false,"description":"Staged rollout of Firefox multi-process feature.","name":"Multi-process staged rollout","userDisabled":false,"appDisabled":false,"foreignInstall":false,"hasBinaryComponents":false,"installDay":17486},"disable-media-wmf-nv12@mozilla.org":{"version":"1.1","scope":1,"type":"extension","updateDay":17492,"isSystem":true,"isWebExtension":false,"multiprocessCompatible":true,"blocklisted":false,"description":"This disables NV12 surface format on Windows for AMD graphic adapters, see bug 1417442","name":"Disable Media WMF NV12 format","userDisabled":false,"appDisabled":false,"foreignInstall":false,"hasBinaryComponents":false,"installDay":17492,"signedState":3},"uBlock0@raymondhill.net":{"version":"1.14.20","scope":1,"type":"extension","updateDay":17499,"isSystem":false,"isWebExtension":true,"multiprocessCompatible":true,"blocklisted":false,"description":"Finally, an efficient blocker. Easy on CPU and memory.","name":"uBlock Origin","userDisabled":false,"appDisabled":false,"foreignInstall":false,"hasBinaryComponents":false,"installDay":17488,"signedState":2}},"theme":{"id":"46852@personas.mozilla.org","blocklisted":false,"description":null,"name":"Sunset Over Water by MaDonna","userDisabled":false,"appDisabled":false,"version":"0","scope":1,"foreignInstall":false,"installDay":0,"updateDay":0},"activePlugins":[{"name":"Shockwave Flash","version":"27.0.0.187","description":"Shockwave Flash 27.0 r0","blocklisted":false,"disabled":false,"clicktoplay":true,"mimeTypes":["application/x-shockwave-flash","application/futuresplash"],"updateDay":17465}],"activeGMPlugins":{"gmp-gmpopenh264":{"version":"1.7.1","userDisabled":false,"applyBackgroundUpdates":1},"gmp-widevinecdm":{"version":"1.4.8.1008","userDisabled":false,"applyBackgroundUpdates":1}},"activeExperiment":{},"persona":"46852"}}
Theme: classic/1.0
ThreadIdNameMapping: 12:"Gecko_IOThread",13:"Timer",14:"Link Monitor",16:"JS Watchdog",26:"Hang Monitor",29:"Cache2 I/O",32:"GMPThread",33:"SoftwareVsyncThread",34:"Compositor",35:"ImgDecoder #1",36:"ImgDecoder #2",37:"ImgDecoder #3",38:"ImageIO",39:"LoadRoots",40:"SysProxySetting",42:"ProxyResolution",43:"DataStorage",44:"URL Classifier",46:"DataStorage",45:"Classifier Update",47:"DataStorage",49:"HTML5 Parser",50:"IPDL Background",51:"DOM Worker",56:"ImageBridgeChild",64:"localStorage DB",94:"SaveScripts",95:"Cache I/O",96:"mozStorage #1",97:"QuotaManager IO",98:"mozStorage #2",99:"mozStorage #3",101:"mozStorage #4",104:"DOM Worker",107:"DOM Worker",158:"IdentityCrypto",161:"mozStorage #7",351:"Shutdown Hang Terminator",
Throttleable: 1
URL: https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/apos-senate-republicans-apos-tax-182354205.html
UptimeTS: 924.16064274
Vendor: Mozilla
Version: 57.0
useragent_locale: en-US

This report also contains technical information about the state of the application when it crashed.
sudo apt-get Linux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sudo apt-get Linux »

You may try the Tor Browser Bundle which is made from a modified version of FF, and always come with NoScript.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/5 ... easenotes/
Brace yourself for an all-new Firefox. It’s fast. Really fast. It’s over twice as fast as Firefox from 6 months ago
I really like their "6 months ago".
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Lucap wrote:When i first used FF 57 i was deeply impressed but it's slowly starting to annoy me even though i'm trying to be forgiving towards it being the first release of Quantum.

I've had random screen scroll glitches ( including vertical breaks that i have never seen before ) and HTML5 playback is definitely not as smooth as it looks like it's dropping frames and when used heavily for a couple of hours it becomes sluggish as if the machine has run out of memory yet resources say that there is plenty of ram left?
FF57 has some bugs but I suspect they will sort it out. 57 is almost a v1.0 release really. The 57.0.1 update squashed some bugs I was running into.
After years of spinning their wheels I think Mozilla is back on track...I sure hope so.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

Pepi wrote:I see that the Hardware accelerator is turned on with FF57. ...
Where do we find this information? Is it in about:support? Would this be the section?

Code: Select all

Diagnostics
AzureCanvasAccelerated: 0
AzureCanvasBackend: skia
AzureContentBackend: skia
AzureFallbackCanvasBackend: none
CairoUseXRender: 0
Decision Log
HW_COMPOSITING:
blocked by default: Acceleration blocked by platform
OPENGL_COMPOSITING:
unavailable by default: Hardware compositing is disabled
WEBRENDER:
opt-in by default: WebRender is an opt-in feature
unavailable by runtime: Build doesn't include WebRender
Ascaris

Post by Ascaris »

HW_COMPOSITING: blocked by default: Acceleration blocked by platform
That's it there.
Hardware acceleration is disabled on Linux across the board by default, as far as I know. To enable it, toggle this pref to true in about:config:
layers.acceleration.force-enabled

Also, you might try enabling these too and see how it works:
layers.acceleration.force-enabled
gfx.canvas.azure.accelerated

it used to be that you had to enable the environment variable MOZ_USE_OMTC to 1 to enable this, but I don't think it is necessary anymore. If this doesn't work, you can try starting Firefox with export MOZ_USE_OMTC=1 && firefox
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

My problem seems to have been Debain SID as i've been back on Mint 18.3 the last couple of days without any slow downs.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Here's an interesting observation , i've not had a single case of slow down since being back on 18.3 but a couple of days ago i noticed that Mint Firefox was only using 1 core in options/performance where as my other installs such as Debian Sid defaulted to using 4 cores.

Well i changed Mint firefox to use 4 cores and after a couple of hours i started to have the same slow downs as before as i did with other distro's so i'm guessing some of us must have a bug with firefox using multiple cores?

Since i've gone back to using 1 core i've not had any issues again so others need to try it out to see if they have the same results?
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

Lucap wrote:...
Well i changed Mint firefox to use 4 cores ...

Since i've gone back to using 1 core i've not had any issues again so others need to try it out to see if they have the same results?
How do you change the number of cores used by the browser?

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”