Thunderbird Mail

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Thunderbird Mail

Post by Pepi »

Never used it before :oops: Set it up yesterday with my Yahoo account. It's GREAT !!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mwbworld

Re: Thunderbird Mail

Post by mwbworld »

Agreed. I even finally donated to support them. It was long past due for me to do that!
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Last time I looked, Mozilla was making about $400 million per annum in revenue, of which they invest very little in Thunderbird (basic security fixes only.) Now I know this, they are not on my radar for making a donation a I feel the money would make more of an impact elsewhere within open source.
mwbworld

Post by mwbworld »

MintBean wrote:Last time I looked, Mozilla was making about $400 million per annum in revenue, of which they invest very little in Thunderbird (basic security fixes only.) Now I know this, they are not on my radar for making a donation a I feel the money would make more of an impact elsewhere within open source.
Back in early 2017 when they were completely a Mozilla entity I would have gone along with that, but since the May announcement where that changed I see it a helping a worthwhile project that needs helps as it works to become financially independent.
felemur
Level 5
Level 5
Location: In the middle of 1000's of acres of corn & soy fields in a house full of cats.

Post by felemur »

Thunderbird is very useful. I have many e-mail accounts, and it allows me to keep an eye on them in one place and puts up notifications in Cinnamon when an email comes in.

I read an article that stated mail programs like Thunderbird are not being used much anymore however. Their use peaked in the early 2000's, and have being used less and less since. That is why Mozilla is giving it the back-burner treatment. Besides, they do the security updates and it works flawlessly as both a mail program and as a News feed reader.

People use their browser for mail or their Android / Apple phone.
H.Remedy

Post by H.Remedy »

Thunderbird is fantastic. I stopped using it over a year ago when I switched to ProtonMail email (which currently cannot be accessed using a third party client). But I recently started using Thunderbird again when I discovered Lightning. This is a Thunderbird extension that gives you a pretty powerful desktop calendar that you can sync with your phone via a CalDAV server. Cool stuff!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”