Linux Mint 18.3 Install Fun

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ozo

Linux Mint 18.3 Install Fun

Post by Ozo »

I love these installs. I have done this from scratch (no backup) so many times that it is quite easy. This time was a bit different than times past. After install which was uneventful. Even my BIOS was happy but did not act as expected; the BIOS opens every time with "Delete" key. Amazingly, the BIOS opens automatically when reset after the install. Removed the usb media and pressed "Enter". The BIOS opened auto at that point and so I changed the first boot devise from USB to Hard Disc before proceeding. In the past I have had to open BIOS manually to reset first boot devise.

Scaling and Resolution is better in the 18.3 Mint Cinnamon than 18.2. At install after selecting Double Scaling I was unhappy with the screen fit so I thought I would change the resolution but after selecting "Apply" I had to laugh as there was some unusual action with flashing and then it crashed and I had to shut it down the hard way. Upon restarting the resolution reset to 1920 X 1080 (16:9) which is perfect for my 40" TV. Also the fit is perfect unlike the past where I was constantly having to re-select the correct size using the tv remote because the picture was a bit too big. In 18.2 my BIOS was contrary and would not open with the "Delete" key. Even after draining all capacitors in my pc system it would not open so I had to trick it into booting from the usb by disconnecting the hard drive. After re-installing the hard drive and restarting all is well . It all fits and looks perfect and that without any custom font size configuration. All I did after selecting Double Scaling as far as fonts was to select the "Atlanta" theme for window borders and enlarged the Panel.

One more thing I found helpful was the ability to drag the screens around by using Alt and R/click. I do not know when that ability was available but I just discovered it. That is quite helpful as the screens are so big at OS loading, especially with the Double Scaling as the buttons which need pressed are off the screen.

I can find no flaws so far.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint 18.3 Install Fun

Post by Tomgin5 »

Good Ozo!
I have been quite happy with the 20 + installs/updates for LM18.3 Cinnamon so far. Only 1 laptop update did not take properly. Once updated it booted but did not respond to any clicks except one The menu came up with only some of the written charactors and only 4 icons that did not respond. Terminal bulged momentarily but never appeared. System settings did nothing! When I tried to reboot, everything I tried had a daemon posted. I finally killed it with a hard power OFF. I did a reinstall of LM 18.2 and the laptop was happy. It is labeled "NO UPDATE TO 18.3". I even did an 18.3 cinnamon 32 upgrade from 18.1 and then 18.2. The old MSi U100 seems to run pretty good.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”